Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Amazing how quickly this storm has intensified from a line of thunderstorms, now into a huge area of intensifying rain and storms… could well be rumbling on for many hours 👍🙌🙌🙌

• Thanks 1

Posted

Some fresh mushies punching through in Northern France, Holding out for the smallest chance of a light show in the Channel later.

Could contain:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

Crazy CG to the west, made the house shake

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Wind picking up now, starting to growl now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Some decent lightning. Noteworthy rain but no hail here despite being in the core. Good start to summer!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms
8 hours ago, Sparkiee storm said:

Some small towers starting to appear around here. Currently 24c.

I'm in Chester.  It's heading this way.  Despite the fact that the system is miles away it's gone very dark here.  Not sure if it's chucking out cloud ahead if it.  I pray that it makes it this far and doesn't rain itself out before it arrives.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Intense thunderstorms, gentle rain
5 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Some fresh mushies punching through in Northern France, Holding out for the smallest chance of a light show in the Channel later.

Could contain:

I'm praying that'll head over my direction its roughly in the right area if it tracks NE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

More of the structure - beast of a system 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and all extreme weather! :)
9 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

It’s all over now (until r&r tomo lol) but can’t complain with what I got to see.

Storm exploded - almost from a teacup - over Crawley which I am very fortunate to have a pretty clear view down towards from a local spot.

From there it was a little unclear how things were to evolve but I know of a much more elevated spot and headed there to witness the Midhurst cell drop an almost stationary deluge over a very localised area, for what was probably an hour 😮 

I’ll try and build some timelapse videos from the photos - but this storm was pretty stunning. It was certainly an organised system by this point - constant rumbles and crackles from way above. Elevated is an understatement - very similar to another storm I chased a few years back over Odiham way.

With this in mind I decided to follow the northwards track of this rainy monster. The storm had got its shoes on and was off like a rocket towards the north! Quick! 💨 

So through Farnham and up the dual carriageway towards Basingstoke (you can see the Basing valley from the road at points) and there were some very bright flashes. This was still a beast of a storm!

I found a side road and soon discovered a lane which quickly became a track. I was now somewhere remote, quiet and with a north(ish) view of the storm.

An excellent place to bury evidence …perhaps … except I wasn’t here to do that - because I was chasing a storm!

It was a perfect spot, hearing the thunder peel and boom from the distance, and treated to an excellent display of forks.

Being a wimp I did hide a bit in the car but it wasn’t long before the storm tracked away enough that the open road beckoned once more!

It was the last chance, as the storm system was now gathering pace and pulling me further from home. After getting totally confused by Basingstoke (and nearly driving to Cornwall) I figured out basic bearings and went due north, again treated to some good lightning as the trees and concrete began to clear, in favour of some much-needed vistas of the deep navy sky.

A few more flashes, but a check of the radar told me this was the stop point. I managed to catch one last shot before packing up and heading home… (possibly via a pub) 😛

Nice storm, was a good chase. Fingers crossed for more tomorrow 🤞 

another shot from nr odiham:

CAF851A9-3FC6-4363-AAC6-11E5E3A934D0.thumb.jpeg.420da636854d03a7c56fecc66d9f5534.jpeg

Awesome!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Met and the BBC just had light rain here at  8 o'clock, still haven't change their site, quite embarrassing really.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Near constant thunder now , heavy rain but not torrential . Lots of lightning . Happy bunny am I 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still nothing here, the blob on the radar needs to shift eastwards - just a bit , but its going the wrong way

Posted
23 minutes ago, yozza1987 said:

Has gone dark now, almost constant booming and kind of roaring, sky is lighting up to the south east, wind has pick up also

Could be hail roar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
Just now, Rich_T said:

Still nothing here, the blob on the radar needs to shift eastwards - just a bit , but its going the wrong way

Annoying isn’t it,some 20 miles too east again aren’t we.Had  some lovely distant thunder around an hour ago.All quiet now and sadly I think that is it for this thundery spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
20 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Could contain:

I hope so, I’m in Eastbourne just to your south

Posted
15 minutes ago, Storm mad said:

I'm in Chester.  It's heading this way.  Despite the fact that the system is miles away it's gone very dark here.  Not sure if it's chucking out cloud ahead if it.  I pray that it makes it this far and doesn't rain itself out before it arrives.

It’s gone really dark here too in Wrexham and birds tweeting like crazy. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Could be hail roar.

We haven't had any hail (yet) i think it was just the amount of rain, the roof gutters are overflowing, garden is flooding and the street is getting a bit waterlogged now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Pretty intense fierce lightening here with constant booming thunder. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, Stormhog said:

Could contain:

I have seen some models on and off hinting at the potential for some convective rainfall to spread up from France across the south. I think the chances are very low, but more than happy to keep my fingers crossed 😊🤞🤞🤞

• Like 3

Posted

Constant rumbling in distance getting louder, a few spots of rain, still hasn't reached here yet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Just to my south east, heading north west

Could contain: 
if it’s anything, I will get a direct hit

Edited by Thunders