Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Worryingly dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Thats a remarkable statistic. Not sure about your sunshine totals but the combination of lack of sunshine and lots of rain make a miserable spell of weather for the NW counties and possibly across other regions as well.  As a young lad back on the farm in Cheshire I kept a weather diary ( now lost ) but do remember 1967 as being very wet out on the fields and my Dad had to bring the cattle indoors. Back here in the Eastern Alps , a wetter than normal October but not especially so, rather more notable for another well above average month temperature wise in these parts. Just hope November back in Blighty sees some respite soon ?

C

For perhaps fairly obvious reasons, there seems to be a strong correlation between exceptionally wet weather in NW Europe and exceptionally warm weather towards the SE (lows over NW Europe drag up southerlies further east).

Looking at Vienna (admittedly perhaps some way from you), while no longer summer-like warmth, it's still distinctly mild with no sub-10C maxima in the next week, and mostly close to or even over 15; mean max for Nov appears to be just below 9C.

Meanwhile in Thessaloniki, Greece, there are no maxima below 20 forecast in the following week. Summer still continues, even for a location north of 40N. Lowest max is 20C next Thursday, and it's mostly 22C or more - an extraordinarily warm spell of weather given we're now weeks from the solstice, and this is a location which can get severe cold and heavy snow in winter. Mean max for November is 15C, so we're talking about a protracted spell of weather with maxima at least 5C above normal.

2023 will long be remembered as the year of endless rain and gloom in NW Europe, and endless unseasonable warmth or heat in the SE.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
23 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

For perhaps fairly obvious reasons, there seems to be a strong correlation between exceptionally wet weather in NW Europe and exceptionally warm weather towards the SE (lows over NW Europe drag up southerlies further east).

Looking at Vienna (admittedly perhaps some way from you), while no longer summer-like warmth, it's still distinctly mild with no sub-10C maxima in the next week, and mostly close to or even over 15; mean max for Nov appears to be just below 9C.

Meanwhile in Thessaloniki, Greece, there are no maxima below 20 forecast in the following week. Summer still continues, even for a location north of 40N. Lowest max is 20C next Thursday, and it's mostly 22C or more - an extraordinarily warm spell of weather given we're now weeks from the solstice, and this is a location which can get severe cold and heavy snow in winter. Mean max for November is 15C, so we're talking about a protracted spell of weather with maxima at least 5C above normal.

2023 will long be remembered as the year of endless rain and gloom in NW Europe, and endless unseasonable warmth or heat in the SE.

Yep, generally agree . The summer into Autuwn period has been for the most part hot /warm from Mid-summer to the present generally across Austria after a chilly start to June. I know my daughter who lives in Sweden reports a cool summer and now temps dropping to around freezing in Stockholm. A poor Summer/Autumn one for Blighty from what I can gather including Denmark .. Hope things dry up soon with a good run of Easterlies ? Meanwhile, some snow now showing on the peaks at around 1800m and probably the snow level to lower over the coming days.

C

Edited by carinthian

Posted

Its already the 7th wettest year here since 2000 and there's two months to go yet.

Needless to say, if any water companies try to put restrictions on next year it will be pretty damning.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 04/06/2023 at 12:28, piglet said:

So far, May and start of June in the Southeast have been very dry and this trend has been getting worse since moving to this location nearly 40-years ago.

The chalk sub-soil responds very quickly to rainfall or lack of and the grass/lawn is a good indicator.

I used to cut the grass regularly, but now, it's a couple of cuts in May, maybe one in August then nothing until about October.

Already, it's mainly brown.

It's a struggle having to water potted plants now and as much as I dislike doing it, I will have to go over to mains water instead of water butts.

Conditions right now are ideal drought conditions - wall to wall intense sun and a strong north-easterly wind to boot.

There is very little surface water left and I often ask people who like these conditions, where they would go if they had to find water for themselves. Answering Tesco is not an option.

Here, all the drinking water is chalk aquifer sourced. If it doesn't go in, it doesn't come out. More and more housing puts more demand on supply. Increasing supply by more pumping pulls in more pollutants like nitrates.

Fields of spring sown crops like cereals and potatoes are crying out for moisture now.

We cannot simply keep ignoring these changes or at this rate, those around in 50 to 100 years time are going to be in a parlous state.

Well.. This thread aged well! 😆 Since this thread was posted, we’ve had a wet summer, a very wet autumn, an exceptionally wet winter as well as a very wet year overall… I hope you got the rain you wanted! 😂   We desperately need a long spell of dry weather now. Amazing how things have changed over the past 9 months. 

B90B70B0-BF6A-43EE-BC43-6168086111AC.png

3DD9137C-7584-449F-9102-E558AF682C33.png

BB29A111-3000-4829-8CC9-78B9A0433C19.png

53BB8E8D-C84F-4170-AD4E-1E59F6E0C2B5.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Yeah this thread aged like milk left in the Saharan desert sun!

Hopefully mine will too! Haha

• Like 3

Posted

SunSean

There was some right old twaddle posted in this thread, not referring the original post.

"We don't even have proper Atlantic weather systems anymore. It's been dead for ages."

If it had been dead for ages, we would have returned many more drier than average months but infact since 2000, wet has dominated over dryness.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Hosepipe bans incoming 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

piglet C02 , about 0.4% of our Atmosphere. Now 9 months on ,are you worried about how wet it is 😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Worryingly dry really aged well, didn’t it? The thing is, it never does. I fail to grasp why there’s this big panic from some when it stops raining for more than 10 minutes. It’s pretty much guaranteed to then chuck it down for months on end after any dry spell.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

stainesbloke Ive said this many times to people, but they don’t listen do they 🤦‍♀️

ive told people in the past how the future pans out and plays out and have got banned for it because they just think i am a conspiracy theorist and often my predictions come true, definitely saw the 2020 events onwards coming but was shunned for it and cast out 😢

people here seem nice so thanks everyone 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
On 06/06/2023 at 22:17, Dark Horse said:

Rubbish lol. We don't even have proper Atlantic weather systems anymore. It's been dead for ages. Can't remember the last proper gale. 

Yes , looks like we have had a nine month train of Atlantic systems all strung togeather,  Atlantic gales and rain , there alive alright 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

ANYWEATHER  To your little dig at  C02 levels. Its 0.04% actually.  Such a small percentage but without it earths average temperature would be  around minus 18c.  Shows how sensitive the atmosphere is to co2. 

• Like 1

Posted

sundog yes that’s right forgot to put the extra 0 in😂

sundog obviously all other  Atmospheric elements have a bearing on earth’s temperature not just C02 !

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

sundog Anyone who thinks 0.04% of anything isn't significant just because it looks like a small number should try 0.04% of arsenic in their coffee.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

stainesbloke Massive exaggeration does your argument no favours. The fact is that whenever there are months of well below average rainfall water supplies become stressed. Whether it eventually balances out is irrelevant. The UK has poor resilience to deviations from normal because resources are overstretched and consumption is often wasteful because people take things for granted. Try growing your own food instead of paying someone else to do it for you and then lets see you trivialise three months of drought and periodic heatwaves in the growing season, or months of anomalous wet weather like last year.

Posted

al78 excellent lol. That's very true indeed.

Posted

al78 overpopulation is the problem not the weather. 😊

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

al78 Not sure where I’m ‘massively exaggerating’? We do get occasional dry spells which admittedly can be a challenge for home growers of veg/fruit, but that’s nothing new. I’d say the frequent runs of many consecutive months of near constant rain are much more of an issue. 
People are wasteful of water here, the lack of education is frustrating but when it chucks it down for 10 months straight you can forgive them for thinking what the fuss is all about when it finally stops raining. The main issue (as many have said on here) in the UK is a huge lack of investment, spanning many decades. The UK gets more than enough rain annually to satisfy demand.
I had 2 UK allotments for a number of years and managed to cope with everything the British climate threw at us. So no need for the self-righteous attitude.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1