IGNORED

Favourite Novembers?

damianslaw

Posted
On 14/11/2023 at 04:46, Iceaxecrampon said:

20th November 1988

Parlick Fell Bowland Lancashire 

IMG_7444.thumb.jpeg.8404a659ffd88a3f08624d6d36d3bd39.jpeg

Seem to recall being in Grizedale Forest on the Lombard RAC Rally a few days later resembling the Scandinavian 1000 Lakes   

Considering the winters of the period were famously rubbish the Novembers 87 and 88 both produced pretty snowy RAC rallies. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
23 hours ago, trickydicky said:

Considering the winters of the period were famously rubbish the Novembers 87 and 88 both produced pretty snowy RAC rallies. 

Yes. We had the infamous “Battle of Grizedale Forest” snowball fight. 🙂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Nov 2010 for me. Cannot remember any other year with such dramatic weather as the last week of that year. Snow showers from the 23rd and more than 12 hours of thunder-snow on the 28th with some more on the 29th then heavy powdery snow showers on a sub zero Easterly on the 30th. By early Dec 18 inches + of level snow.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

November 2016 mainly because I was trekking to Everest base camp 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
5 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

November 1965 was okay.

I was 3 months old lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

To be a little controversial: was 2010 so interesting for the whole month though?

Granted the last 5 days or so were very interesting indeed. But until the 19th it was mostly mild and wet; the weather only really started to change on the 20th when it became cold and dull, and had become seriously cold a week later.

Maybe like a winter version of September 2023, in a way.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

November is the toughest month (tied with March) to come up with a best or worst one.  However, I'd pick 2009 as the most interesting one.  It was very wet (exceptionally so in places), but if one followed the path of the low pressures they were often NW to SE and that was a portent to the winter that followed.  There was also blocking to the east heralding this, perhaps explaining why it was so wet - the weather fronts slow moving over the UK.  There were some notable wind events too, and liking extreme weather I was happy with this.  Some will disagree on this though.

Edited by SummerShower
  • Like 1

Posted

2016 saw the earliest laying snow I can remember just after Bonfire night. We saw more snow on a Friday towards the end of the month.

2010 was obviously very memorable during the final week, can’t remember the first half of that month if I’m honest.

2005 I remember being cold at the end too. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

November 2010 watching thundersnow! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I only really started recording the weather in 1993. 

Regarding my favourite Novembers, November 2010 sticks out, for variety as well as the famous snowy end. Other standouts are 1996, 2005, 2016 and 2017 - I tend to favour the ones that have a lot of cold and sunny weather via northerly and north-westerly winds as well as ones with early snowfalls.

Some that fall short of being favourite all-round Novembers had some events worth mentioning. November 1993 loses points due to the very grey first half, but the snowy easterly on the 20th-22nd and the hazy sunshine and freezing fog afterwards were certainly memorable. I remember not being fond of the second half of November 2001, but that November's cold snap on the 8th/9th was what primarily inspired my username and I still remember it well. I also had a memorable day of sleet, snow, hail and thunder on 17 November 1995, and a very enjoyable snowy weekend at the University of East Anglia on 22/23 November 2008, having snowball fights, building snowmen and pushing giant snowballs into the lake with the students.

I was around in 1985, 1988 and 1989 but not old enough to appreciate those Novembers. As for November 1965, it certainly looks interesting, with some notably cold easterlies midmonth and northerlies and north-westerlies near the end. I've read that Durham ended the month with about a foot of level snow.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1