Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Feels so pleasant out there today, plenty of sunshine and a temperature of around 18°C

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

A bit late but Spring arrived this week at last with calm sunny conditions and reasonable temperatures - and no rain, yet.  This weekend looks like bringing an end to this brief spell of sunny weather with low pressure set to return by Monday bringing widespread rain for Wales.  Sadly the low pressure system looks likely to hang around for at least the reliable future and mid-May will not be a warm and sunny period if this happens.  Maybe be we will make up for our poor Spring by having a tropical Summer…..  ☀️☀️⛱️🤞🤞

• Like 2

Posted

Thunderstorm watch now after the highlight of the year Aurora..

Real Time Lightning Map :: LightningMaps.org

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just had my first storm for a long time, shame I couldn't see the lightning as it was above the cloud base, only the odd flash but was just constant thunder and heavy icy rain. That could become quite the storm as it goes up to the valleys.

• Like 1

Posted

big thunderstorm approaching from the south (Cardiff way)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very cold.

Looks like Cardiff under fire?

Snapchat-1177262508.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
Posted (edited)

Hoooooooo!!!   Epic thunder and hailstorm rattling through the valley.  Hailstones being pinged with force at windows and enormous amount of rainfall now battering newly planted pots.  Husband gone out to put the sandbags out against gate as road drains flooding.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 2

Posted

Wales has done very well for thunderstorms lately including last year..excellent stuff..

image.thumb.png.6e21542a2c5981a6fd63cdac74b395c2.png

• Like 2

Posted

Felt really humid earlier and hazy but also cooler at the coast been a strange day plenty of sunshine but also low cloud/heavy haze. Very wet monday morning on the way with a slow moving low pressure moving in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Nothing for here. Wish it had been nighttime as at least i could have seen some distant flashes from those storms to the north and East of us.

Too far West today as usual.

Snowyowl9 Not the whole of Wales though!

We have had nothing here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
12 hours ago, wimblettben said:

Not the whole of Wales though!

We have had nothing here.

The slightest of showers here and a brief, faint rumble of thunder, that's all for yesterday! Hope to get a reasonable amount of steady rain today which would safe me having to get the hosepipe out to water the rhubarb patch and a sizeable number of pots with herbs and young trees.  🌧️🤞

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes

I'm a happy frog this morning. 22 mm of rain over the last 24 hours was a very welcome reading, and with warm sunshine having returned mid- morning this should make for some very good growing conditions. My greenhouse tomatoes are certainly shooting up now and will need their support poles put in place in the next day or two. Happy frog, happy gardener!😀🐸👨‍🌾🍅🥒

• Like 2

Posted

I must say, after Mondays Horror show, this week has been much much better than what was forecast last week and what i read in the model thread. Very pleasant indeed. 

• Like 3

Posted

Looking forward to a short break down Pendine sands way next week - hoping the weather will hold and stay mostly fine - gfs and ecm looking like it might but not high temps - will suit me fine

• Like 2

Posted

Distant rumbles here, but Keith Lucky must have just had a spectacular half-hour. 

• Like 1

Posted

andymusic Hope you have a great time down in Pendine.  The weather here is currently spectacular with wall to wall sunshine and only distant wisps of cloud on the horizon.  According to my WeatherRadar app this area is currently enjoying the highest temperature anywhere in the UK! (23C).  I can’t verify that scientifically but it’s rare for us to to have the best of the weather so,I’m happy to record it for this thread!  Looks like the dry weather will continue through to midweek but after that it’s anyone’s guess…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.

Sky Full same here.  Wall to wall sunshine and cats cooling in hedges.

• Like 2

Posted

snefnug   It seems to me that we’ve moved straight from Winter to Summer and Spring was cancelled!   Can we hope for more of this in June and July…. 🤞🤞   There’s nowhere else on earth to compare with Wales when the weather is kind to us.

• Like 3

Posted

Amazingly, and a bit unexpectedly really, I was lucky enough yesterday to catch a decent enough shower, yielding 7.2 mm of rain, with some rumbles of thunder mixed in to save me watering my plants. 😀⛈️ Another warning is now out for today, covering most of Wales bar coastal areas but I don't think it will strike here again as yesterdays mugginess has now all but gone but we'll see.

Looking forward to midweek, rainfall forecast for tomorrow found on weatheronline.com now shows a vast area that could see between 20 and 50 mm of rain and it's the central and northern parts of England rather than Scotland as indicated before then. Even higher parts of Eryri might see a good drenching if that came off.

image.thumb.png.d008ec9b7122f3b4fb5fdb1106397bcf.png

image.png.2cd288f9b8e50aa08fbb23d6679c2205.png

• Like 1

Posted

Did the MetOffice read my last post, i wonder?🤔😉Yellow warning of rain just issued, highlighting the same areas as most at risk, even suggesting 100 to 150 mm possible in some higher reaches of Eryri. Just as well then that tomorrow for me is a day of shopping in the morning and a social indoor meeting in the afternoon, therefore no loss of a gardening day and watering free of charge, happy days!

Headline

Heavy rain may cause some flooding and disruption to travel.

Issued: 10:30 (UTC+1) on Tue 21 May 2024

Further details

An area of rain is expected to develop across eastern and central England and then move northwestwards to affect northern England and north Wales during Wednesday afternoon. The area of rain could then become slow moving, heavy and persistent, especially over north facing hills, before clearing during Thursday morning.

There is a lot of uncertainty over exactly where the heaviest rain will occur and this warning is likely to be updated. Many places will see 30-40 mm of rain, while a few areas may receive 60-80 mm. There is also a small chance that a few upland areas could see much higher totals, in the order of 100-150 mm.

• Like 1

Posted

That was a somewhat noisy half-hour. 😃

• Like 1

Posted
Posted (edited)

Sky Full  Wetterfrosch 

Aaarghhh too soon spoke you!  Although saves on the watering and hopefully will clear up by weekend.

Edited by snefnug
  • Like 2

Posted

Fantastic thunderstorm yesterday what surprised me was the amount of hail that fell and near pea sized too. Had a very close Cloud to ground strike right in front of me quite scary!

• Like 2

Posted

Marcus_surfer crikey!  I bet it was scary.  Must have eased off on its meanderings around the midlands to North East Wales.  

Today, here,  has been rainy, but not, IMO warranting either yellow or amber warnings in this neck of the woods.  Looking at radar, north west side of England and Scotland bearing the brunt of it.