Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales/Cymru Regional Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Should be seasonal!

A bone chilling - 7 in Rhayader this morning.. 

Bird feeders are swamped, remember our wild ones during this cold snap! 

IMG_20231201_083938.thumb.jpg.c113af724ee7209008fd4e0cc89c9c4c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

A surprising (for December 1st) -7C showing on my admittedly unscientific digital thermometer this morning.  Might even top this tonight.  
IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.4526a118b5fec1d8d9fbaa8018fff620.jpeg

Unusually low temperature for this time of year but more puzzling is the difference between what I am seeing and what was forecast for this area.  Anyway, it’s a welcome cold spell since these are the conditions required to kill off the pests before winter and reset natures clocks.  Maybe it’s a sign of a more cold weather to some - there’s certainly no shortage of cold air in Europe now, if we can tap into it.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Currently 2.1C with frost and ice still lingering in the shade which is impressive for here on the coast this time of year! I keeo my hopes up that this winter even us costal folk can get some decent snow events!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
3 hours ago, Sky Full said:

A surprising (for December 1st) -7C showing on my admittedly unscientific digital thermometer this morning.  Might even top this tonight.  
IMG_1270.thumb.jpeg.4526a118b5fec1d8d9fbaa8018fff620.jpeg

Unusually low temperature for this time of year but more puzzling is the difference between what I am seeing and what was forecast for this area.  Anyway, it’s a welcome cold spell since these are the conditions required to kill off the pests before winter and reset natures clocks.  Maybe it’s a sign of a more cold weather to some - there’s certainly no shortage of cold air in Europe now, if we can tap into it.

Even here just 3 miles from the sea it got down to -3.3 C and i too got startled by the MetO forecast supposed to be 1 C at 8 am when it was still -2.8 C. I wonder if that may be our winter this year, just as so often we seem to have the driest and sunniest summer weather as early ad April/May with dross following on behind.🤔A decent frost is certainly good for the soil. 

3 hours ago, acorb said:

Bird feeders are swamped, remember our wild ones during this cold snap! 

Absolutely, I have just opened a new 12 kg bag of bird seeds, which at the current rate may not last all too long. For the likes of ground feeders like robin and blackbird I throw a couple of handfuls on some bare soil, along with a couple of slices of cheap white bread cut into small peaces or sometimes a of of oats. Have to watch though as one my cats is a very keen hunter. I was aghast last night to discover a hedgehog in my open shed, whom i assumed to be in hibernation already, feeding on cat food I leave out for the various homeless felines passing through. Hope the little fellow makes it through to spring although he wasn't particularly small.  🦔

• Like 4

Posted

Treasure your hedgehog, they really are in desperate trouble. 

We had one here only a couple of weeks ago clearing slugs that had come out for the spilt bird seed, looked a good size - hopefully the milder autumn will have done them a favour. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
7 hours ago, acorb said:

Treasure your hedgehog, they really are in desperate trouble. 

We had one here only a couple of weeks ago clearing slugs that had come out for the spilt bird seed, looked a good size - hopefully the milder autumn will have done them a favour. 

Fancy, I found the little tyke today in broad day light in the shed, still tanking up on cat food. Realizing that it may not have yet found a suitable place to hibernate in, I quickly improvised by finding a reasonably sized cardboard box, placed it on it's side on a plank and filled it with torn up stuffing paper from a recent Amazon delivery and even found an old rug to drape over it for insulation. I then lifted the little fellow just inside the box and went my way hoping for the best. Returning a little later i was overjoyed to hear scratching noises from deep inside the box with some of the paper pushed out a little, so hopefully there is some nest making going on in there. Phhhh!!! i have had hedgehops on and off for years but never before had to intervene in their affairs like that to make sure they are safe!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Fancy, I found the little tyke today in broad day light in the shed, still tanking up on cat food. Realizing that it may not have yet found a suitable place to hibernate in, I quickly improvised by finding a reasonably sized cardboard box, placed it on it's side on a plank and filled it with torn up stuffing paper from a recent Amazon delivery and even found an old rug to drape over it for insulation. I then lifted the little fellow just inside the box and went my way hoping for the best. Returning a little later i was overjoyed to hear scratching noises from deep inside the box with some of the paper pushed out a little, so hopefully there is some nest making going on in there. Phhhh!!! i have had hedgehops on and off for years but never before had to intervene in their affairs like that to make sure they are safe!

Bless you, sounds like Mr Hog has well and truly landed on his feet finding your shed - dinner and bed! Hope he decides to spend the winter with you! With you feeding the cats regularly, if he does wake he will have food available too, so stands a very good chance if making it to spring. 

Already - 7 here, seriously cold, hibernating seems a good idea! 

Just now, acorb said:

Edited by acorb
  • Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, acorb said:

Already - 7 here, seriously cold, hibernating seems a good idea! 

Can't compete with that - merely -2.7 C atm but still cold enough for to bring out my fleece lined base layer (as it's now called) which keeps me quite cosy outside. I had my big electric blanket switch on last night, albeit without much fanfare or red ribbons to cut! 🤣 MetO spot forecast is promising a 50/50 chance of seeing some snow or sleet in the morning - now that would be worth some fanfare if it came off!📣❄️

• Like 1

Posted

giphy.gif

Posted
On 30/11/2023 at 18:56, keithlucky said:

Nice to see a temporary covering of snow Saturday night🤍

Screenshot_20231130_184811_Chrome.jpg

Nice change snow chart looks correct! Wintry showers becoming heavy overnight ,good covering of snow over higher ground ,Interesting night window ahead.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mainly thunderstorms and snow

snowing quite a lot in Barmouth, probably wont stop until late morning. The met office should really set a warning along the west coast of north wales and mid wales webcam:image.thumb.png.891173b8ce0eb1b84b3c60b5ecf5e6a3.png

WWW.MERIONETHYACHTCLUB.COM

Posted

A cold dawn this morning….

IMG_1276.thumb.jpeg.7ff51f2a78843a9446d0d1f94fbe5d15.jpeg   IMG_1277.thumb.jpeg.3a290734ebfa03d17b5c60c20c21c9a5.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Wetterfrosch said:

Can't compete with that - merely -2.7 C atm but still cold enough for to bring out my fleece lined base layer (as it's now called) which keeps me quite cosy outside. I had my big electric blanket switch on last night, albeit without much fanfare or red ribbons to cut! 🤣 MetO spot forecast is promising a 50/50 chance of seeing some snow or sleet in the morning - now that would be worth some fanfare if it came off!📣❄️

Dropped to - 9.3 here last night, relatively 'mild' - 7 currently, reports of snow in Aberystwyth. Can not see this depth of cold being cleared without some of the white stuff. 

Screenshot_20231202_090624_com.huawei.browser.thumb.jpg.20440e4264bdb2992d58050a48bcb864.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Warning out for mid Wales northwards, still time for it to move southwards though.

Expect  more snow  than that ,anywhere in Wales with the first batch of heavier bursts.

Screenshot_20231202_104217_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Down to -5 here last night, and another gloriously sparkly morning. After four days languishing with the you-know-what, I’ve finally got the energy to get outside to enjoy the sunshine before the return of the rain (fingers crossed for at least a sprinkle of the white stuff in between).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Took the dog down to Ogmore for a walk around the beach and estuary first thing today. -3C. Cold wind too. Foggy and frosty driving across the Vale of Glamorgan to Barry to charge the car. Think it’ll snow tonight: if you’re inland and elevated, your luck might be in.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

What a beautiful morning , plenty of frost and ice. Such a shame it will be replaced by rain , coming in later. Mid Wales and Midlands looking primed for a couple of hours of snow though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Had a low of -3.6C overnight, turned foggy for a bit now cloudy and -0.4C, the frost has oddly melted though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
2 hours ago, keithlucky said:

Expect  more snow  than that ,anywhere in Wales with the first batch of heavier bursts.

Screenshot_20231202_104217_Chrome.jpg

Those warnings are a waste of space....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
4 hours ago, acorb said:

Dropped to - 9.3 here last night, relatively 'mild' - 7 currently, reports of snow in Aberystwyth. Can not see this depth of cold being cleared without some of the white stuff. 

Screenshot_20231202_090624_com.huawei.browser.thumb.jpg.20440e4264bdb2992d58050a48bcb864.jpg

Love you're area. Was down the beautiful Elan valley for a week in September when we had the very warm weather early September.  Love Rhayader ,stayed at the horseshoe guesthouse.  Lovely place. Do you live in Rhayader?