Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February 1994

damianslaw

Posted

With February around the corner and a fair amount of retro music 30th anniversary stuff around at present, I am remembering back to February 1994.

Winter 93-94 was quite a topsy turvy one, for north half of UK there was some decent wintry conditions at times, indeed the cold came early with a snowy easterly in late November. Second half Dec was quite snowy at times. January 94 apart from a bit of snow early on from memory was generally mild and wet.

However February was far more wintry, there was a easterly spell mid month with snow followed by cold frosty weather as a cold block to the east fought off the atlantic. The period 21-25th saw a battleground scenario, with the north gripped by the cold block, on the 23rd we received a foot of snow, the forecasts expected the block to be pushed aside but it fought back. It did end up being squeezed away by the months end. I also remember the cold chimed with the winter olympics in Lillehammer in Norway, making it feel extra wintry. Norway was very cold from memory under the cold high.

Anyone want to share weather memories of Feb 94..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

damianslaw

I was 8 at the time but remember a fair bit of snow, quite a potent easterly that month:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

a knock of version of Feb 1991 ..cheap imitation that fell apart ..outside of those 3 days mid month it was meh

Posted

cheeky_monkey February 1991 was very different, can't compare really. The first half very cold with a long fetch easterly. The Feb 94 easterly was very shortlived with much milder uppers.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

It is the 30th anniversary of February 1994.  I am very surprised to think that the month was colder for the CET than all except three or four Februarys of the last 30 years (the month was also colder for the CET than all but four or five Januarys of the last 37 years) and yet very few people appear to remember it.  I am especially puzzled that it is not often talked about, in that the month actually did bring close to a two week cold esterly spell in the middle to latter half with some good snowfalls for eastern and central parts of the country.  

Edited by North-Easterly Blast

Posted

North-Easterly Blast This factor emphasises the lack of cold Februaries since 1991. 1994 is probably not remembered because there was no severe cold and snowfalls amounts for many were quite small. The period 13th to 25th was preety cold with easterly/south easterlies and probably could have been colder had the continent been colder.

Here as I mention we received about a foot of snow on the 23rd, one of those surprise snowfalls, as it was expected the front would clear more quick, alas it stalled over us. A very similiar event to 2 Dec last year, on both occasions north half of Cumbria had nothing.

Posted

I remember this month fairly well. Living in Nottingham at the time... A few days of freezing temps, certainly bitter ice days one weekend, no idea which dates. Followed by some very heavy snow, which to be fair didn't hang around long. 

I have very vague recollections of a decent snowfall in London during this spell. It was a weekday morning and snowed pretty heavily right through until early afternoon. I was only 9 at the time; funny how these memories stay with you!