Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

21st Century Winters - rank from favourite to least favourite

Posted

With the meteorological winter coming to end I’ve been thinking about my favourite and least favourite winters of the first quarter of the 21st Century. 

My memory of winner weather goes back to 1999/00 though it’s fairly patchy up to 2004/05.

When it comes to ranking winters I consider the quality of highlights (largest snowfall, lowest temperatures, longest duration of low temperatures and snow cover, coldest month), the winter as a whole (total number and distribution of days with falling/lying snow, low temperatures and the overall mean temperature) and in the absence of seasonal winter weather I also consider sunshine, variety, interesting weather events such as storms  and very mild temperatures. 

I’ve included cold and snowy weather outside the meteorological winter. 

Starting in November 2010 I’ve been keeping records of snowfalls and depths. Snow depth data for nearby stations has been helpful for winters before 2010/11 - especially the early 00s.

2009/10 - The coldest winter I’ve experienced with cold weather throughout and lasting into Spring. The cold spell of mid Dec-mid Han was very notable and snow lay on the ground for more than 20 days (the longest duration I’ve experienced) after a decent fall on 20 Dec. There was a white (and sunny) Christmas and some very low temperatures at times. The second half of winter wasn’t as eventful but remained cold with some snow (which settled at times). Snow patches lasted on Campsie Fells until early May (thanks to snow in late Mar) and the final snowfall on May 10th (latest date I’ve seen snow) ended a remarkable season.

2010/2011 - Very cold and snowy thanks to the historic period of winter weather of late November and December 2010. This rank a the most exceptional period of weather I’ve experienced (26 Nov-8 Dec probably my favourite spell of weather). There were a couple of significant snowfalls (28 Nov and 6 Dec) with accumulations up to 25cm. Early December saw the lowest temperatures I’ve experienced while late December saw a remarkable spell of very low temperatures. There was a white Christmas before the cold conditions ended. The rest of the winter was more ordinary but there were some further snowfalls which settled and January was a seasonal month. 

2018/19 - Cold and snowy with episodes of cold and wintry weather from late November to early April. I recorded six 2 inch + snowfalls (occurring in Dec, Jan x2, Feb, Mar) which is the highest I’ve recorded for a winter. There was a surprise last minute white Christmas and a decent snowy period after mid Jan. The highlight was the Beast from the East 28 Feb/1 Mar with the highest snow depth I’ve recorded (26cm). Combined with low temperatures, wind chill and drifting this ranks as one of the most exceptional weather events I’ve experienced. There was another snowy easterly later in March. 

2000/01 - Cold with generally cold conditions from late December  into March. Notable cold spell late December with White Christmas, significant snowfall on 27th (around 25cm) and some very low temperatures. Some snow and low temperatures late Feb/early Mar. 

2020/21 - Cold with generally cold conditions late December to mid February. Memorable cold spell early February with decent snowfall and some low temperatures (accompanied with sunshine). 

2014/15 - Average temperatures, the highlight was mid Jan-early Feb with up to 20 days of lying snow as a result of two decent snowfalls. 

2012/13 - Cold with episodes of cold weather throughout from late October lasting well into Spring. Early snow on October 26 (earliest I’ve recorded) , cold late Nov-early Dec, prolonged cold spell in January with not a lot of accumulating snow, some decent falls early Feb, fine settled conditions late Feb. Notable prolonged cold March 2013 with snow falling in many days and the latest dates I’ve recorded lying snow (28 Mar). 

2008/09 - Quite cold with on and off periods of cold weather from late October. Some cold late Nov/early Dec, settled cold conditions late Dec/early Jan. The highlight was the noteworthy cold spell in early February which produced a couple of decent snowfalls. 

2005/06 - Average winter with not a lot of snow. Snow late November, cold Christmas and early March with the highlight of season being the significant snowfall on March 12th (around 20cm). 

2001/02 - Average, quite cold December, rest of the winter was milder with some days with settling snow. 

2004/05 - Mild though there was a White Christmas, decent snowfall on Jan and some settling snow in late Feb/early March. 

1999/00 - Quite cold and snowy December, the rest of the winter was mild with not much snow. 

2022/23 - Average despite some notable cold weather in December. Little snow other than a decent fall in December. Snow less second half of winter, some snow in March. 

2011/12 - Milder than average, unsettled with a couple of notable storms. Couple of decent falls in December. 

2002/03 - Average with some snow in early Feb. 

2023/2024 - Mild, unsettled and stormy at times. Very little snow despite two decent falls in December. 

2021/22 - Mild, quiet December and January and very little snow other than a couple of a decent falls.

2015/16 - Mild and very wet with little snow. A decent fall of snow in mid January and some wintry weather in April.  

2018/19 - Mild and quiet with little snow. Some notable mild weather in February. 

2019/20 - Mild with little snow, very wet - especially February. Snow on May 10th joint latest I’ve experienced. 

2003/04 - I can’t remember much about this winter - it appears there wasn’t much worth remembering in terms of snow. 

2007/08 - Mild with little snow. Some mild sunshine in February, cold conditions in Spring at times. 

2006/07 - Very Mild with some stormy conditions and not much snow. 

2016/17 - Very Mild and uneventful with little snow. November was cold and a snowfall on the 8th saw the earliest snow cover I’ve recorded. 

2013/14 - Mild and very wet and stormy. Not a lot of snow and very little in the way of snow cover other than a couple of brief dustings. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

A Winter's Tale

35 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

2018/19 - Cold and snowy with episodes of cold and wintry weather from late November to early April. I recorded six 2 inch + snowfalls (occurring in Dec, Jan x2, Feb, Mar) which is the highest I’ve recorded for a winter. There was a surprise last minute white Christmas and a decent snowy period after mid Jan. The highlight was the Beast from the East 28 Feb/1 Mar with the highest snow depth I’ve recorded (26cm). Combined with low temperatures, wind chill and drifting this ranks as one of the most exceptional weather events I’ve experienced. There was another snowy easterly later in March. 

Think this winter might be 2017/18 as the BFTE was end of Feb 2018, not 2019

• Like 2

Posted

My own preferences on how to rank is snowiest, followed by coldest then driest with the wettest winters ranked lowest.

This means assuming the 21st century winters start with 1999/00 as the bulk of that winter is after the start of 2000 then I rank them as follows

Cold and snowy to varying degrees

1st     2009/10     Cold and at times rather snowy throughout all 3 winter months, especially 2nd half Dec 09 to 1st half Jan 10

2nd    2010/11     Dec 10 ensures this one takes 2nd position in my list for the deepest covering of snow I have ever witnesses in my entire life

3rd    2008/09     A mostly cold and dry winter but with notable snow in 1st half Feb 09 and a bit of snow in Dec 08 as well. Early snow in Oct and again in Nov 08 gets this one off to an early start

4th    2000/01     Although it takes till Christmas 2000 to get going it is very episodic after this with on/off snowy snaps and spells right up into Mar 01

5th    2017/18     Occasional cold and snowy snaps until the main event arrives at the end of Feb 18 and the BFTE. Even get a decent covering off the mini BFTE in March 18 too

6th    2005/06     A chilly winter overall with snow mainly late Dec 05 as well as Feb and Mar 06

7th    2012/13     Takes until mid Jan 13 to get going but it is on and off right until early Apr 13. The best month was actually the March of 2013

Snowy snaps (Mix of cold and not so cold winters)

8th    2002/03     A mixed winter overall but enough snowy episodes to rank it fairly highly for a 21st century winter. Early and late Jan 03 are the most notable events

9th    2020/21     The last of the winters that features any significant or anything I could call a decent snowy snap or spell. 2nd week Feb 21 is the main event for me

10th    2014/15     The least snowy winter that features anything I could class as a cols snap or spell that produces more than a single day of snow. Late Jan 15 to early Feb 15 the main brief snowy snaps

11th    2022/23     A cold spell with no snow was the only highlight here in Dec 22. What a waste of a cold spell but ranks this winter above the rest for featuring a prolonged cold spell

Mostly Dry (Mix of mild or average)

12th     2018/19     The highest ranked of my more boring dry winters. This was the most interesting of the dry winters with the Feb 19 "heatwave"

13th     2004/05     2004/05 was a let down. Generally quite dry but the only cold setup late in Feb 05 was also a let down as well. Very little snow to speak of off this colder spell

14th     2016/17     One of two very boring winters with 2021/22 equally as boring as this one. 2016/17 for me was slightly less bad as it did a least have some chillier days in Jan 17 and again early Feb 17.

15th     2021/22     As above but generally more depressing so ranked below 2016/17

Wet Mixed

16th     2003/04     2003/04 was the "best" of this group of winters but the very mild spells within it dragged this one way down the list unfortunately

17th     2011/12     Another winter that was let down badly by the general mildness. Only early Feb 12 was decent but the rest pulled this one down a lot

18th     2001/02     Only Dec 01 saves this winter from ending up in the 20's in ranking. Jan and Feb 02 were awful

19th     2007/08     Nothing really saves this winter much apart from a couple of very brief cold snaps 

20th     1999/00     Mld Dec 99 was the only good part of this winter. The rest was just mild and boring and at times wet.

Wet Mild (Horror show winters)

21st     2023/24     2023/24 as it is basically over now ranks for me as the least bad of the bottom 5. This is purely because it is the only one of these winters where I have seen settling snow, even if very briefly in all 3 main winter months (Dec 2nd to 3rd 2023, Jan 18th 2024 and Feb 8th 2024). Otherwise a mild horror show and very wet.

22nd     2006/07     Another mild wet horror show winter and the last one where I see any temporary covering of snow that lasts more than a day. This mostly comes in the late Jan 07 to early Feb 07 period. The rest of the winter is mild, wet and devoid of any snow.

23rd     2019/20     A slushy excuse of a very brief covering of snow on Feb 27th 2020 is the only bit of winter I see in this extended autumn mild wet horror show that moves this winter above the two worst ones

24th    2013/14     A storm fest and a complete waste of a winter. Not excessively mild but never cold and generally very wet throughout

25th     2015/16     Had to put 2015/16 at the bottom of the pile, what a vile winter overall. Dec 15 was a total horror show of a "winter" month that was warmer than many spring and autumn months. Missed out on the Jan 16 snow as well.

• Like 1

Posted

A Winter's Tale Winter 03-04 produced a few short sharp northerly snaps, notably around New Year, late Jan, and notably late Feb into March. Admittedly I was in NE England at the time, more exposed to snow showers, further west will have seen less. I would rank it higher than the likes of 19/20, 15/16 - certainly so, 18/19 and 21/22 - they were all shockers for cold and snow. 

Posted

Favourite and least favourite winters of this century are obivous to me, they clearly standout from the rest of the winters

Favourite: 2009-10

Least favourite: 2013-14

One problem I have with winter 10-11 is that it was virtually over come Boxing Day. Did have that amazing December but it was really concentrated into that period up to that Christmas. There were more air frosts this February than there was during February 2011. 

2020-1 was a pretty decent winter here, the coldest, snowiest weather was during the heart of  winter from Christmas 2020 until mid February 2021.

2008-09 was half decent, lacking in decent snowfalls but it was more spread out and personally, I prefer these type of winters or when the concentration of any wintry weather is from  Christmas onwards ie the heart of winter.

Winters 2019-20 and 2021-22 were gawd awful  

Using my winter index

2013-14: 7

2006-07: 21

2015-16: 28

2021-22: 28

2019-20: 29

2007-08: 37

2016-17: 37

2002-03: 44

2018-19: 45

2004-05: 47

2011-12: 47

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

2022-23: 53

2005-06: 59

2000-01: 77

2014-15: 82

2017-18: 93

2012-13: 102

2008-09: 105

2010-11: 119

2020-21: 120

2009-10: 197

• Like 1

Posted

Weather-history Winter 20-21 doing quite well in regards to winter index, beating other more notable winters 10-11 and 17-18. It was mostly cold that winter, but nothing severe.. never dipped below -5C if I'm not mistaken. Meanwhile Winter 23-24, a record breaking mild winter had pretty low mins at the start of December and mid January around -6 to -8C. A very strange winter indeed. 

• Like 1

Posted

As someone who likes cold, sunny winters. Ranked from best to worst

2009/10 - Absolutely brilliant winter, we had a snow cover for virtually the whole winter. I remember the snow started here about the 14th and it wouldn’t stop. We missed out on the weather over Christmas as we were abroad, we came back and the snow was a foot and a half deep it was insane. January and February both continued cold and snowy most of the time with the odd milder interlude to break things up. Superb winter.

2017/18 - A cold snap in the middle of December, a generally cold January with a good snowy spell in the middle and a cold February with the famous beast from the east. Plenty cold, winter sunshine throughout as well.

2020-21 - December didn’t really have much cold weather until the closing days. January started very cold, frosty and sunny before having a snowy period between the 14th-18th. It got briefly milder again before turning cold in the last week. February was a month of two half’s, exceptionally cold and snowy first half before the second half completely flipped and turned much milder and sunny. It genuinely felt like mild spring during the end of that winter.

2014-15 - My sunniest winter on record, not much snow other than a brief spell in mid January but generally pleasantly cold, sunny weather throughout with not too much rain.

2000-01: The cold snowy spell between Christmas and new year, a cold January and then the blizzard at the start of February. Rest of the winter was quite boring however.

2018-19: Very sunny winter again but aside from freezing rain in December and the February heat at the end, nothing much to note.

2005-06: Not much to note this winter but it was very dry and quite sunny.

2010-11: An exceptionally cold and snow December with the deepest snow I have ever experienced. About 50cm was recorded by the 3rd. A good first half of January but the second half and February were horrible, dull, mild, wet and windy my worst combination.

2008-09: Cold but we missed most of the snow, don’t recall too much.

2002-03: A very sunny and springlike spell in January cancelled out a terrible December and a meh February.

2021-22: A very sunny January but was let down by a poor December and February.

2022-23: A good cold snap in December but it was generally a boring, wet winter.

2012-13: It had a lot of snow but I really didn’t enjoy this winter. It came after a really wet December and January was so dull it just felt gloomy. February did redeem it slightly however.

2003/04 - Generally can’t remember anything at all about this winter aside from a snowy spell at the end of January.

2015-16: December and January were terrible for obvious reasons but it did have a cold and pleasant February.

2001-02: December was cold and sunny but January and February that followed were awful, mild, windy, very rainy. Very little frost.

2019-20: Mainly down to that February. Think I recorded rain on every single day, December wasn’t a bad month that year but January was exceptionally mild but boring.

2011-12: Hated that December, January while having some cold snaps was generally mild and boring. February did have a good cold spell and a exceptionally mild spell but it was just such a boring winter.

2007-08: can’t remember much at all other than a sunny February. December and January were bleak.

2006-07: Wet, very mild, bleak. My worst conditions for winter. Just felt like extended autumn with shorter days.

2013-14: Need I say more about this winter? I wasn’t anywhere near as wet as the south but I still couldn’t think of a worst winter.

Winter is a season I don’t usually pay much attention to other than keep local records about it so apologies if some are a bit vague. 

Frigid I recorded -18.0.C in February 2021. That even beat December 2010’s record which was -17.8.C and that held a record in Perth since February 1956 I believe. Definitely think Scotland got hit a lot worse that February. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Harry233 said:

I recorded -18.0.C in February 2021. That even beat December 2010’s record which was -17.8.C and that held a record in Perth since February 1956 I believe. Definitely think Scotland got hit a lot worse that February. 

Yes Scotland did have a pretty cold winter in 20-21, can recall Edinburgh dipping to -14C in February with deep snow. Braemar recorded -23C which was the coldest February temperature since 1955 I believe. Definitely one of the better winters of the 21st Century for Scotland.. too bad the low minima didn't make it's way down to England. 

Posted

Frigid indeed it was the coldest since 1995. Think Braemar had 70cm of lying snow that morning of the 11th. It was definitely a cold winter. Then we had no spring then one of the hottest summers and warmest autumns that year. 😂

• Like 1

Posted

Harry233 A year of extremes 2021 was for you guys. I went to Dundee in August 2021 and was astonished how sunny and warm it was, certainly didn't feel like your typical Scottish summer. 2021 had a sort of continental feel, similar to 2013 and 1995. Southerners can't relate as they had one of the dullest summers on record. 

Edited by Frigid

Posted

Frigid definitely. You’re right because while it was a hot summer, it definitely wasn’t humid aside from a few days that July. That spell at the end of August was absolutely glorious I had pretty much unbroken sunshine from the 23rd-30th, aside from morning mist which occurred but that was all burnt off by 11am. Dundee usually gets plagued by the haar in the summer but it was absolutely glorious.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Little in the way of memories pre 2010, so will start from 09-10. ranked snowiest to least snowiest:

2012-13: January 2013 was an incredible month for "battleground" frontal snow events in the Midlands with a peak depth of 15cm on the 21st which is still the deepest snow recorded in Coventry as of today since the 30cm in December 1990. Only December 2017's 13-14cm comes close. Further falls of snow through March 2013 totalling up to around 7-8cm towards the end. Not a fan of snow in March but if there is enough of it, that can be a nice surprise.

2017-18: Decent winter in today's climate. 10th December 2017 had one of the best snow events after January 2013, waking up to 13-14cm. Stayed for a few days as well as dropping to -8C a few days later. Another fall of snow just after Boxing Day amounting to a few cm. A dusting some point in January, then of course the famous beast from the east end of winter, which by the 2nd of March gave up to 10cm, with drifts up to thigh deep in the nearby countryside during the first weekend of March 2018. Then another few cm mid March before a lovely warmup in April. I would even say it was better than 2009-10 for snow depth amounts, and with much better memories too which is why I rank it in second.

2009-10: Nice snowfalls I can recall and looking at pics with early January seeing up to 3-4 inches, then again mid February 2010 similar amounts, but I think many other places had it much snowier than here. Still quite a good winter with snow spread out nicely through the months. Can't recall if much fell in December 2009 might have been up to an inch towards the end.

2010-11: Incredible December, got photos of thick hoar frost 7th, then a good few inches of snow falling before dropping to -12c around 18-19th. Rest of winter was rubbish so even though December 2010 is one of the best winter months of this century, the rest of this winter overall drops this to fourth.

2020-21: Following a run of poor winters for much in the way of snow after 2017-18, this winter was an improvement here. Late December 2020 missed out on some better falls taking place further west of here, but still got a few dusting and snow showers brought the heaviest snowfall i've seen to date on the 29th, albeit only lasting for 10-15 mins and with temperatures not cold enough, not much settled. 24th January 2021 a good event for central areas, with up to 8-9cm falling by the afternoon, though it stalled in the north Midlands and there some spots approached 20cm. Another few cm from snow streamers during the mini beast from the east early February. I think I liked the end of winter most as it had a nice contrast and had some spring like days towards the end.

2022-23: Missed out on the December snowfall which I think was on the 11th, brought over 15-20cm to parts of the Cotswolds and southeast but here barely a dusting. Had to wait until early March to see snow, but even then melted quickly and was slushy most of the event, totalled up to 8cm on some roofs briefly.

2021-22: The winter was pretty much snowless, but late November brought up to 5cm on the 28th, which I think is one of the deepest snows recorded in November so far this century here, might have to go back to November 1996 or some point in the 80s/90s in general for similar.

2018-19: Probably one of my favourite "snowless" winters, as the February 2019 winter heatwave was very notable to experience, reaching 18-19C here and 21C in London, which was unprecedented. The snowfall at the end of January 2019 which delivered south of here just missed my location.

The rest of the winters not mentioned on here were not memorable, and virtually snowless. Some mild winters did have brief snowfalls though such as January 2016 with a light covering of up to 2cm on grassy surfaces on the 16-17th. I think mid January 2015 also brought some dustings. February 2007, though no memories, do have photos of a very young me in around 8-10cm in the garden during the 8th in what was a mild month. 2023-24 another one to forget on this list, with just a brief spell of freezing fog then snow opening days of December, all melting in under 12 hours.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted

Mentioned many a time, winter 09-10 by far the best both in terms of snowfall and amount of cold. Though late Nov and most of Dec 10 was exceptionally cold, it brought limited notable snow here.

Worse winter 13-14 just one day with wet snow that settled briefly, barely much frost or cold weather. 15-16 a very close near worse.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

I've started this from 2002/03 as I don't remember much about previous years, with the exception of 1995-6 in my childhood and very hazy memories of February 1991. I have a photo from December 2000 of a very snowy view from out my window so that must have been a big one here too.

1. 2009/10 as many have said already. Huge snowfalls in December and January and being in my second year of uni reminds me of many cold but ultimately nostalgic nights out. Highlight was seeing the Pet Shop Boys live at the O2 that December, them introducing their new song called 'It Doesn't Often Snow at Christmas' and everyone bursting into laughter.

2. 2010/11 for that unforgettable white Christmas, even in the south west of England with snowmen on the beach. Nothing much outside of that month but December was so memorable it deserves a high place.

3. 2017/18 for a noticeable December flurry and of course the Beast from the East being the first significant snow London had seen since early 2013, which even then felt like a lifetime ago and a relief after a run of horrible wet and stormy winters.

4. 2008/9 entirely for that very famous 2nd February, the biggest snow London had seen since 1991 and heavily reported on at the time. I went around Wembley with my then new digital camera and the photos still look astonishing today, especially the one with a petrol sign showing just over 80p a litre!

5. 2022/23 for that big snowfall in December which almost got as far as Christmas but didn't quite match 2010, and more early in the new year making it one of the most spectacular of recent years.

6. 2012/13, a major snow event in January which heralded the start of the Never Ending Winter that year to the point where listening to Now That's What I Call Music 84 (released Spring that year) reminds me heavily of shivering across London on Overground trains.

7. 2020/21 for the two snowfalls in January and February which were a rather wonderful distraction from all the lockdowns going on at the time, I lived in the centre of London then and walking around it in that weather - with very few crowds - is an incredibly powerful memory.

8. 2002/3 as captured at the time on the first digital camera we ever owned, the end of January was a major surprise with the snow lasting for a few days afterwards.

9. 2011/12 solely for the one big snow event that year in early February, which turned what should have been a quick journey home into one lasting all night, no night tube then and buses and taxis (crammed full of Saturday night crowds) blocked from making their journeys.

10. 2018/19 for a small snow event at the start of February and that incredible heatwave at the end of it, one of the biggest weather shifts in one month I can remember!

11. 2013/14 which for once was completely snowless here but definitely memorable, huge winds meaning walking to and from work became a challenge and a very difficult journey to Devon on Christmas Eve, taking many hours longer than usual due to almost the entire train network shutting down.

12. 2006/7 for one of the biggest snow events of that decade so far in February (until 2009 completely obliterated it) and otherwise a nicely frosty winter.

13. 2003/4 which I don't remember too much of but there were some snowfalls in January here according to an old diary of mine.

And I really can't remember much about any of the others, the rest of the 2000s were just the occasional small snow or sleety day with not much else, and the other 2010s winters were more stormy then snowy, none on the scale of 2013-14 which was at least memorably so. 2015/16 I spent completely out of the country so missed that one (although from posts above it looks like that was a very good thing) and the winter just gone I mostly just got rained on with no obvious hot or cold extremes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

My winter rankings will probably be slightly more unusual and my criteria is different to most - I like snow and cold but not in excess and I dislike dry cloudy cold as it's so unpleasant. My favourite winter weather type is mild dry sunny springlike weather and my least favourite is mild and stormy so obviously there's a fine line. Some mild winters do well, others flop. I'll also only be ranking back to 08/09 as it's the first winter I can really remember.

1. 2022/23 - what a brilliant winter. The deep December cold satisfied my appetite for wintry weather, after a brief mild stormy spell (which was not enjoyable but hey it's winter and at least it had a few sunny days) the second half of winter was just perfect. Bone dry and sunny from Jan 15th (other than some snow on the 17th!) and a very springlike Feb.

2. 2018/19 - would've won if not for the gross December. January was fairly sunny and dry (nothing exceptional and a little cold though) while February was a dream - apart from a few drizzly days it was a true spring month with the heatwave at the end being the cherry on top.

3. 2009/10 - although I said I don't like extended cold I think the novelty of how cold and snowy this one was, was really special especially as a child. Will always remember how wintry it felt on a trip to London during New Year 2010

4. 2017/18 - December was decent, no snow but pretty sunny. January was meh. February was wow!! So sunny and the BFTE was such an experience, made extra special by the fact it was my first time seeing snow (in the UK) since 2010.

5. 2021/22 - December was boring but fairly dry for me as I left the country for the wet week around Christmas which was lucky! February was fairly unpleasant but had its interest with Eunice and a springlike end. But the main event was that glorious January which felt like spring so early on in the year, so sunny and a great mix of cold and springlike, really teasing what would end up being a brilliant year for sunshine. Overall good memories from this one

6. 2011/12 - memories are hazy but I remember a very dry HP-dominated Jan and springlike February, though a cold spell in early Feb also brought interest. Shame December was poor but that's the usual fayre

7. 2008/09 - quite nice, fairly sunny and dry but ultimately cursed by a nagging cold that never really seemed to go away without bringing much in the way of snow to my parts.

8. 2010/11 - December was insane and will be remembered as the last snowfall in my area until 2018. However everything after New Year was poor and became stormy and Atlantic as the winter wore on which grew pretty tiresome.

9. 2016/17 - dry but less memorable than the likes of 18/19, 22/23 and 21/22 as it was less sunny and more anticyclonic gloom-led. However any mild and dry weather is appreciated in winter so 16/17 gets a pass from me!

10. 2020/21 - the last of the winters I have a decent opinion of. All three months brought interest in the form of cold but also some very unpleasant moments. My highlight was the very cold end of Dec into the first two weeks of Jan which saw us get lying snow on Dec 31st. Another highlight was clear blue skies and very mild 13-14c temperatures for a whole week at the end of February which I really liked. However equally I hated the early Feb cold spell as we got no snow and it was just windy, cloudy and unpleasant, while most of December was just cold and wet, totally gross.

11. 2014/15 - literally no memories of this one. It was so forgettable!

12. 2023/24 - unpleasant overall but January was sunny and had a two week dry and cold spell which was interesting. No lying snow but there was falling snow on Dec 1st and Jan 8th. Already my memories of the winter are fading though which says a lot about how memorable it was. December was dire and February was too wet.

13. 2012/13 - this was pretty horrible. Started cold and wet, transitioned to very cold and dry but CLOUDY. Not a single day of lying snow for me so all that unpleasant cold for nothing! A frustrating winter made worse by the fact it dragged on into mid April! Extra points for the horrendously dull and pointlessly freezing March. But it's saved by the fact that it wasn't that stormy I guess?

14. 2015/16 - the start of the truly dire ones. This is above the others just by the novelty of how freakishly mild December was and how many days that month felt like they could've just been a poor day in July. Jan and Feb really really dragged though.

15. 2019/20 - awful and wet, especially February. The only reason it's not last is because of that mild sunny week around Jan 20th giving a much needed boost.

16. 2013/14 - just mild, wet and stormy throughout. This was the winter when the place I was living was cut off from the rest of the country's rail network for months when the main line at Dawlish was battered in February. Every single day in January and February recorded rain!! Just atrocious.