Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted

What is everyone’s memories on this topsy turvy season?

The March of 2012 was absolutely glorious, very warm, dry and sunny. The mean maximum of 13.3.C was especially high around 4.C above average. The month was also very dry only 18% of average rainfall and sunny although 2022 was much sunnier. A glorious month throughout, even before the March heatwave it was often very mild, dry and sunny with high maxima, many days reached the mid teens, and with very crisp and sunny mornings it was perfect early spring weather. The only spell I can remember where it was unsettled was just before the heatwave, come the 24th the weather changed drastically to becoming unseasonably warm, reaching a new March record for me of 21.7.C on the 27th. From the 25th-30th the maximum temperature exceeded 20.C and was probably the first time on record that my area exceeded 20.C during March. 10/10 month for the weather.

April 2012 completely flipped the script with it being unseasonably cool (maximum of just 10.1.C, 3.2.C colder than March) and wet. It was the wettest April recorded for me although 1998 and 2000 did come close. The highest it reached all month was just 16.2.C and that was on the 1st. Come the 4th there was 7cm of snow and a maximum of just 2.9.C. After such a warm month this was a massive shock and change, the month never recovered after the snowfall with it being often cool and wet with the odd brighter interlude, the highest temperature after the 4th was just 14.8.C on the 8th. The only saving grace about April was it wasn’t overly dull but it was still the dullest April since 2004. The east coast of Scotland had one of its dullest April’s on record I think. The only settled weather came towards the months close.

May 2012 was a turbulent month to say the least, the opening days did provide a little bit of respite with a couple of days reaching the high teens with some sunshine but after the 5th it collapsed and it was back to where April was but this time it was almost consistently wet and dull with temperatures failing to reach even 10.C on a few days, on the 11th the maximum of just 7.4.C and the 13th it was only 9.1.C. It was an awful spell of weather, reminded me a bit of May 2021 and had it not been for the heatwave it would’ve probably ended up worse. The saving grace was a glorious spell of weather that started on the 20th. From the 22nd-28th for me the temperature exceeded 22.C everyday peaking at a high of 26.2.C on the 26th. However it still remained foggy and cold on the east coast which I thankfully just missed but it was noticeably colder just 10 miles further east. The month ended again rather cool and unsettled.

Overall spring 2012 ended up pretty much bang average for rainfall, temperature and sunshine but with some massive contracts of weather throughout.

share your memories and stats

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Spring 2012 started off well with a nice March, but the season went downhill once April arrived, with the month being poor throughout with the odd nice day here and there. May was poor up until around the 22nd which gave us a warm sunny spell.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted

Indeed it was a very topsy turvy season. March excellent. April abysmal..May abysmal until the last third which was excellent, bringing the best spell of weather for warmth, sun and dryness all year, June nosedived.. It was an odd year with quite a few marked switcharounds, first half of Feb and second half completely different, likewise December. Late October brought very cold conditions. Quite an interesting year.

Edited by damianslaw