Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

frosty ground

Funny how you mention negatives yet your post previous mentioned "looking like a washout for most tomorrow". 

What do you want me to say? Be one of those members who wants likes or be one who is just saying from what I am seeing. I might be wrong and Im hoping I'm wrong(and I have been before) but it's not going to stop me posting from what I am seeing.

I'll be more than positive if I see true sustained proper cold blast, like we did a few weeks ago and not this transient half hearted affair. I mean the dew points across most of the region are above freezing so it's not really all that cold out there and yet I have seen comments in here we are in for 6+ hours of snowfall(!).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

ECM has joined the others in downgrading...

A messy mix of rain & snow now, not much accumulation there unless you live up a hill.

ECM8.thumb.png.cd77075c557425453b8fed58d445e00f.pngECM9.thumb.png.ba28c5f8ec71e9f68f298a77ce5e7264.png

ECM10.thumb.png.19032c058f4e80f3c75fa41ec40aea7b.pngECM11.thumb.png.053046d23db5a4d79e4f82bf21868b7e.png

Orange = rain/snow

Blue = snow

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 4

Posted

Day 10

Obviously it coming in the daytime does not help things either. It would seem the best scenario for frontal snow in this region is a front coming in from the West into cold air with little or no wind. I've lived here since 2015 and I don't recall ever seeing a significant frontal snow event although I think it's always much tougher up here because the rain shadow affect will come into play whilst those further south and especially in the Liverpool area.

Hopefully it will happen again one day as too often it seems the cold breaks down without much of a significant snow event and not just in this region but UK wide.

• Like 3

Posted

Geordiesnow

I don’t want you to say anything, it’s the I was  right all along and how you declared you got it right look at me and aren’t I great attitude.

I want being negative it’s how I see it going based on the latest data rather than the law of sod.

• Like 3

Posted

Had Worse

Had Worse & Raul just inside amber… 🤣😂❄️❄️☔☔

will have to see what we wake up to 

IMG_8828.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 4

Posted

frosty ground

I certainly never intended to come across that way all I said the Arctic airmass coming down was just a "wishy washy" type with 850s not being particularly low. In all honesty I don't even think it comes across that way and not quite sure why you interpret it that way? 

Let's hope I'm wrong and there is some surprises of at least people seeing snow falling before it reverts back to rain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

WillinGlossop

Good luck tomorrow mate, I'm sure you'll do well 👍

I'll trade you for 3 points instead 😂

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

WillinGlossop Your house is Yellow,  your drive entrance is Amber 🤣

20240207_190415.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

WillinGlossop is that the one on that track at the side of the grand House.

• Like 3

Posted

Had Worse Im not sure what it’s called… edit Turf Pits Lane… I’ve seen a tractor going up there quite a few times… it looks like a good snow house in winter… but a bit Smokey when they burn the heathland in spring

IMG_8829.jpeg

IMG_8830.jpeg

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Sorry all I'm only just having tea

• Like 4

Posted

Chris.R come on Chris, are we guessing its a Wigan Kebab?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Had Worse Everyone pile over to Will's house tomorrow then, and we know they'll be someone on hand to do the catering 👍😁

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Looking at the timing, I can’t see snow being a problem going to work in the morning but it could be an interesting drive home again later.

I’m just outside the amber area here but it’s looking more and more like altitude will play a big part so I can see all of the Rossendale area, even the valley bottom getting a covering which will play havoc with the already crappy and full Victorian road system.

Roads over the tops still look to be in for a pasting though so just glad home is the highest I have to drive.

• Like 7

Posted

Windy harbour to Padfield Main Road 250-265m asl… usually drifts across the fields and fills in the roads across to cemetery road along to Park Road Hadfield like March last year 

IMG_8831.jpeg

IMG_8832.png

• Like 7

Posted

WillinGlossop Meanwhile,  your off the map in some highup secret location. Hope you've got a tractor to pull your car out.😉

Picture is at the top of Park Road looking down to Hadfield Road with Bankswood Park on the Left. 

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 5

Posted

Had Worse I’d like to buy that house at the top of the track… looks quite pretty old farmhouse with trees at front… 450m asl your guaranteed.. don’t think Paddy would want do drive a tractor up a track 🚜 probably comes with quite a bit of land and way out price wise 🤣😂 bit of a walk to town too carrying backpack with shopping…get strong 💪 calf muscles though 🐐 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow.. frost. Freezing fog

WillinGlossop  Had Worse

I used to service the primary school in padfield. And then next job was hadfield library. 

• Like 5

Posted

Winter Hill So you've met the 'Local People' then 

• Like 5

Posted

As I said on Monday, we'd see 8 or 9 big snow events each winter if these sort of setups delivered.

Really need deep entrenched cold, with a long fetch south easterly and a slow moving front. I can't remember the last time a front from the south west sped in and dumped a load of snow outside Pennine areas. The low just isn't slidey enough.

But, not to say one out of every 20 attempts might just do it. 

Edited by Alexis
  • Like 5

• UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-01 08:45:04 Valid: 01/05/2024 0600 - 02/03/2024 0600 SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH - 01-02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F