Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

Heavy driving rain and dark by 3pm horrid day ☔️ 

• Like 8

Posted

Been outside briefly in steady cold rain. 6.4C but feels colder.   So dark could scarcely see.  Thankfully indoors again and drawn curtains.  

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, tricol said:

Yip, same here. A truly awful winters day. These types of days really do get me down. 

There'll be a spring.  🙂  I noticed last week that the noses of snowdrops are just half an inch from the surface.

• Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

There'll be a spring.  🙂  I noticed last week that the noses of snowdrops are just half an inch from the surface.

Our early daffodils are showing their hand. Think it must be the warmth from the sewer pipe underneath them. I'd go and get a picture if it wasn't so wet and dark!

• Like 7

Posted

Yesterday was frosty at about 4.30pm and then in a hour or so it was gone and raining 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Been in ulverston all day on my project most of the snow now gone  there and a thoroughly awful dark day

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

What a difference 24 hours makes....

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

We might have missed out on a warning but we certainly haven’t missed out on the rain.

absolutely torrential on the journey home and roads are like rivers especially the bottom of the one out of Bacup centre  towards Todmorden.

yellow warning in place for the upper Calder catchment but so far nothing for the Upper Irwell on this side of the hill but 24mm rain for the day and 8mm in the last hour shows how wet it has been this afternoon.

Hopefully though i don’t think I will be venturing outside again before morning.

• Like 7

Posted

Discovered a new level of darkness driving home just before 4pm...heavens opened under grey leaden skies and because it wasn't quite sunset the street lights weren't active.. so they must be time sensitive rather than go off light levels.  Suffice to say it was pitch Black, not good driving conditions.  

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The 'dark days before christmas' are back... dull, wet and grey with low light levels. We have a run of them to come unfortunately... 

for me, 5th wet Sunday on the trot, dunno what's caused this, but 17th looking dry? maybe a rare event, a dry Sunday

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

for me, 5th wet Sunday on the trot, dunno what's caused this, but 17th looking dry? maybe a rare event, a dry Sunday

Chance of dry more settled weather towards end of next week, HP dominating and the jet stream moving North of the UK.  Only 15 days from  the solstice, looking forward to the gradual lengthening of days.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Almost 30mm of rain in the last 24 hours and almost 20mm of them in the last 6 hours and just when it looked like the clearance had arrived, it’s started raining heavily again.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
14 hours ago, iand61 said:

A fascinating read as always and nice to see that it is possible for what looks like a channel low to dump large amounts of snow across all of our region rather than stopping at the north Midlands.

meanwhile back to early winter 2023 and I can hear the rain bouncing on the conservatory roof.

The default conditions of mild and wet are back again🤬

Sounds like snowmageddon lol and always eloquently written, not like the rubbish now haha. Just don't understand why the lows never move further north nowadays? like you say it's clearly possible.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 6

Posted

A very poor day, don't get more bleak really, only saving grace not very windy. Wet throughout, and cold temps around 5 degrees much of the day, a thaw of the snow making everything underfoot exceptionally wet, but not enough yet to make for easy walking, the pavements are still ice rinks. Low light, cloud to valley level. Grim.

• Like 9

Posted

Dry start to the day here but the Met app for my location is showing heavy rain symbols for almost all of today and Saturday with nothing drier until into the early hours of Sunday.

thankfully this isn’t backed up by the forecast which at least showed gaps between periods of rain but I think unless you like wet conditions, the next couple of days are going to be depressing especially when last weekend, in conditions favourable for snow, we couldn’t buy a shower.

Edited by iand61
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Yea, quite bright here. Doesn't look to last long though. Tonight into tomorrow looks dreadful. But I can live with this bright(er) start to the day.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Dear Santa

I have been a good weather boy all year. Can you please be kind and deliver this for Christmas.

Regards Kevin

:santa-emoji:

image.thumb.png.3a86a21c1e970a06e37d06538b441544.png

That would be a cracking start to the holiday that.

The holiday period is slowly coming into view and tentatively looking good or very good at this early stage.

I'll say it now, I'm going for snow on Christmas Day for the first time in years! No I'm not drunk. 🎅

• Like 7