Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted

Yuck, what a uninspiring day weather-wise. The 'thrill' of possibly recorded 70mph gusts overnight over the high passes makes up for the persistent rain that's been relentless since sunrise, very low-light conditions to do anything with given we're now under 2 weeks away from the Winter Solstice.

On the plus side i've gotten myself a new Nikon D750 from MPB that's arrived in the post today, at 11,200 shutter counts its practically brand-new compared to one bought last week second-hand from Amazon that was advertised as 'like new' but in a bashed up state with 260,744 shutter counts.

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

That's what I've been doing today getting my mum's shopping. She's 82. Obviously with her cancer now she's starting to feel not so good. She went out every day up until a couple of months ago, not like her to want to stay in. Anyway sat in Starbucks at the moment finishing off a latte. Going dark outside, horrible day.

Yes, I think of you and the challenges you are facing with your mum, it's good that you are there to help her.  I hope @Iceaxecrampon is doing ok.

It went really dark shortly after 2pm and the wind is getting a little gusty here too.  Heavy rain is back and the TV signal kept glitching a few mins ago, it's settled down now.  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
26 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

err what?

Gone VERY black and vey windy.  Rain started 10 mins ago.  Clouds down on fells now.

Bambi lurking in the bushes.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

I had one of the wettest mountain bike rides I've ever had this morning. Running rivers on the trails. It was fun. The river Dane is flowing very fast and high through Congleton. There was a lull in the rain for a while this afternoon, but it's back. Wind picking up too.

• Like 7

Posted

Crosby currently on the wind gusts chart 60mph, St. bees and Blackpool there too.

Just a bit blowy in my location at the moment, sky dark but has a weird pink glow.

Screenshot_20231209_154415_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Some seriously bright colours showing on the radar around the Yorkshire Dales/ upper Ribble Valley.

We are at the bottom edge of it at the moment and it’s hammering it down here so it must be pretty moist further north.

no surprise that there is a yellow rain warning across parts of the north.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
16 minutes ago, Rush2019 said:

Crosby currently on the wind gusts chart 60mph, St. bees and Blackpool there too.

Just a bit blowy in my location at the moment, sky dark but has a weird pink glow.

Screenshot_20231209_154415_Chrome.jpg

We make it onto that list twice! I guess the Isle of Man listing is on Snaefell (2,000ft) whereas ronaldsway is our airport at sea level.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Gone very stormy now ,lashing rain and potent wind …………………..

• Like 4

Posted

Flood warnings out for both the upper and lower Irwell catchments now saying that they expect the heaviest of the rain this evening up to midnight.

Same on the other side of the hill where the upper Calder catchment also has a warning.

maybe they are expecting that the mass of rain further north is going to be heading south.

• Like 4

Posted

Posted

Hi weather is terrible can you all say a prayer for my little doggie woggie who’s currently fighting for his life at the vets been there since yesterday so sad he’s only 1 year old and the vet bill is astronomical 

chucking it down and very gusty 

• Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Hi weather is terrible can you all say a prayer for my little doggie woggie who’s currently fighting for his life at the vets been there since yesterday so sad he’s only 1 year old and the vet bill is astronomical 

Sorry to hear that, 

hope everything turns out ok for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
58 minutes ago, RabbitEars said:

We make it onto that list twice! I guess the Isle of Man listing is on Snaefell (2,000ft) whereas ronaldsway is our airport at sea level.

Sorry, thank you for pointing it out. Ronaldsway gusts up to 56mph now.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
19 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Sending best wishes for your doggie’s speedy recovery 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Bambi lurking in the bushes.

Well, bambi had a plan.  Seeking a place to hide from this awful wet wild day.

• Like 4

Posted

Rain has eased off a bit over the last 20 minutes or so but I can still hear it being blown against the windows by the wind.

definitely not an evening for outside plans.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Rain Lady said:

Electric flicker -- have a torch ready.   Can hear gusts approaching like express trains.

Aye I can hear it roaring through the trees.

a proper fence panel rattler.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Currently 8.3c here, 980hpa, had dropped but rising slowly, 94% humidity, raining heavy too, windy, it was a hooley, my huge heavy sun brolley is lying in the border, it can stay there until tomorrow, not sure if the wind has dropped, my dogs are spooked by the sound of things blowing around.............I ain't going out to look I'll get wet

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

The wind hasn't dropped I can't hear it going wooooo through the doors and windows 🤣

• Like 5