Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
Just now, Slidergate '17 said:

Started snowing in Trafford Park

Same here, now some heavier precip has moved over us.

• Like 5

Posted

damianslaw

Intensity has increased here on average but it's inconsistent although I do love watching the downdrafts of a heavier bursts.

I do reckon parts of Cumbria could do quite well if intensity improves also, be shocked if there is no decent covering on the hills over there.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter

Been snowing quite heavily here for a while but just not sticking (yet….please, 🙏). I can’t give up hope yet

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

The snow has picked up in last half hour and its covering over again. If the snow was heavier and thicker it would be white-out conditions with that wind!

• Like 6

Posted

Shield has failed  

Snowing but not settling in central Manchester now 

IMG_0039.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

80% snow here

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

After all the model analysis and checking every dam chart available for 5 days you have to say it's disappointing. 

The biggest problem is every 'slider' or low pressure system that I have observed in the last 15 years has stopped short of the NW, rotated and sunk SE giving the midlands and everywhere else a good dumping. I have been fuming that the snow didn't reach the NW. This time is has, hasn't rotated but its too bloody warm. 

Never mind onto the next chase. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

That's more like it. Proper snow now very heavy and leaving a slight dusting. 1.4°C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well we’ve done better than I thought as I kept my hopes down! I’m so jealous of Buxton height lol.

• Like 6

Posted

Joe Bloggs I've heard the shield is when it's more south east wind. Easterly today? I'm on tram into manc willing it to snow. It did briefly.  This type of snow event rarely delivers for manc. Was forever thus. Bring on those lovely Irish Sea showers. Thats our fab friend

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Incessant at Ribblehead 

IMG_8511.thumb.png.b1daaad234ec9b8a10f6f5c2ef1f30ce.png

Fit for Man nor Beast out here today. 

• Like 6

Posted

Spah1 Think that's the issue though, if there was more colder air in play, I think the low may of 'slide' more and perhaps any PPN missing us because the cold air is acting as a block/deflector. Even if the PPN did reach us and we were in colder air, would there be less PPN around on our side of the hills as of course cold air is also drier air so the rain shadow affect may of come into play more(which is what the models did seem to initially hint at).

Seems like from my limited experience of living here, a frontal snow event coming up from the south/South West could be almost impossible meteologically because of the factors I mentioned and the sleety/wet snow type is the best i can hope for. Of course I'm talking mainly IMBY here, places like Liverpool would be in a better spot for sure as the rain shadow is far less pronounced.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

One Beast ain’t budging

IMG_8510.thumb.jpeg.a79d7314cbcdcd0922384fcabe4f4772.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I've said it before and I'll say it again. My best snow experiences have come from the NW in the form of big, red, heavy showers out of the Irish sea. 

I'm shocked Glossop isn't getting a pasting. 

• Like 8

Posted

Geordiesnow in 1947 this scenario kept repeating itself. Much colder air in place for the 6 week spell. All sorts of records were broken for snow depths. Guess what, the max snow depth for Manchester that winter was 5cm. The massive boxing day snow of 63, the 79 snow and 2010 snow were very different weather types and it's those that Manchester benefits from. All Irish Sea events I think

• Like 5

Posted

The amber warning in North Wales is until 15:00 it's embarrassing for the Met and Flintshire council for sure. For our region I suppose it depends on how the rest of the day pan our re: potential disruption over high routes to see if Amber was justified. I always try to give them (Met Office) the benefit of the doubt because we all know how difficult snow forecasting is in the UK but they have had a shocker this winter with just not responding to the reality unfolding in front of them. I'm thinking of the December South Lakes snow event (lack up upgrading warning till far too late) and today. 

• Like 7

• April 2024 - Was it that cold overall? A look at the statistics

General perception from many is that April was a cold month, but statistics would suggest otherwise, with the average temperature for the whole month coming in just above the 30 year average for the UK as a whole. A warm first half to to the month averaged out the cold second half. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

Bank Holiday Offers Sunshine and Showers Before High Pressure Arrives Next Week

The Bank Holiday weekend offers a mix of sunshine and showers across the UK, not the complete washout some forecasting models were suggesting earlier this week. Next week, high pressure arrives on the scene, but only for a relatively brief stay. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather