Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

yeah will do-take it easy-shovel and survival kit packed?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

cheshireoak 4x4 ,border  terrier to dig us out ,coffee and a Jack Russell to catch tea 😂

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: seasonal with a leaning to colder winters

perfect-we took the pick up down to try to get out of the spray (but also cause me parking embarrassment). Hope you don't have to hunt deer with the jack r could take a while.

• Like 6

Posted

As expected here today, cold rain with a tiny bit of sleet so not too disappointed in the outcome, but it has been a pretty grim day to be out there.

Having a scan around twitter it's good to see some areas getting a decent amount and it didn't seem too wet either in that it made the trees nice and white and wasn't slushy either which is nice.

I need to move to somewhere with elevation!

• Like 7

Posted

cheshireoak lol she can handle Elk given time ,fortunately my sons a GP so if we need medical attention on arrival he will assist 😂

• Like 5

Posted

Snowed earlier hard left a covering of slush then melted 🤷‍♀️

• Like 7

Posted

1c and drizzle 

• Like 5

Posted

Thunder Snow congratulations 🍾😂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Still raining grrrrrr

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

damianslaw Unfortunately the Pennines and Cumbrian fells don’t do us any favours, they give us less snow and a heck of a lot more rain. Funny how you didn’t get much snow from this event while a few of us in the region did, yet back in December you got a foot of snow while I didn’t get any!

• Like 6

Posted

What an absolute joke absolutely chucking it down 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Some proper torrential sleet on my way home earlier, it was literally like slop falling from the sky lol. Ah well reset and hope something pops up soon!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I thought I heard rain overnight but little has melted since I got home and closed the curtains yesterday.

just hope that what’s left is slush rather than ice or it’ll be lethal on the roads up here this morning.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Now that the last chances of snow are being replaced by rain, was there anyone in the region who actually ended up with more than they were forecast or expected.

Up here, even taking the usual last minute downgrades into consideration, the couple of inches of wet snow I ended up with was poor compared to what I was expecting.

yes the yellow warning was probably warranted but only down to the condition of the roads and the number of local accidents and closures and certainly not because of the amount of snow which ended up falling.

The local roads that cross the higher tops were pretty bad with snow blowing off the fields with some decent photos on the local FB page but to put it into context, it’s the third covering of snow we have had this winter and although it had the least depth and is the one likely to vanish the quickest, was the only one to be given a weather warning.

oh and I was only a couple of miles outside of the amber warning.

not particularly bothered as I am fast heading into spring mode and just want the icy slushy mess to disappear but given what we were looking at just 48 hours ago, it was a disappointing let down.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

iand61 i would definitely have taken your wet two inches here!

The warnings were warranted based on the available information on the Wednesday morning, but things did shift just the wrong side of marginal in the models for most later that day which was very gutting after the earlier output. I'm sure those high up were just about satisfied with the covering at least but could have been so much better.

At my location, it just ended up being one of the most miserable days of winter. 

• Like 7

Posted

damianslaw I drove from west to east across Cumbria yesterday afternoon and this was very well demonstrated, particularly in the Eden Valley. There was a heavy burst of precipitation around Keswick, and 5-10cm of slush on higher bits of the A66 thereabouts. But despite the Pennines being totally white,  here a couple of miles from the foot of them, there was nothing more than some very light drizzle blowing about on the wind. 
People slate the precipitation forecasts the models produce but this was shown to some degree or another on all of them. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

The core 8 weeks of ‘peak winter’ for me is mid December around the Winter solstice to mid Feb. March like last year & 2018 can still deliver as can late Feb but aside from a BFTE scenario it’s often watered down winter conditions where you’ll struggle to get ice days and any long lasting snow cover to low levels - it’s hard enough in peak winter these days anyway 😄 Winter might not be done with us yet but Spring will be creeping up on us soon. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Joe Snow Yes, the sun is starting to gain increasing strength now as the days gradually lengthen and by March, conditions needed for snow to stick around are very hard to come by. I recall the snowfall we had in March last year. Absolutely pasted it down in the morning, dumping a couple of inches or so but was mostly gone by the afternoon. A contrast to December through to January when a slight covering can remain on the ground for days.

• Like 5

Posted

From what I could see yesterday, snow fall was from about 690ft/210m.  Today there is a bit of snow left on the very tops. 

Nice pleasant morning so far, sun is trying to shine, 6°C, it feels colder though, glad that bitter wind has dropped, it was gusting well into the evening.

• Like 5

Posted

So trip to Scotland cancelled in the end by my son who has had  to go into work as the Locum  hasn’t turned in 😂

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Morning all.

Another college run to Fitton Hill.

The rain has left scraps of snow on the hills with only the highest ones still white.

The wind is very cold with the effect of the very cold ground. 

More rain and showers to come. Pity we can't say the same for the white stuff in the near future. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Weather-history

Was 19 then.  Now can’t remember what we did 4 days ago 🤷🏼

Scuba steve Where in Scotland Stephen? 

• Like 5

• Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2024-05-02 07:37:13 Valid: 02/05/2024 0900 - 03/04/2024 0600 THUNDERSTORM WATCH - THURS 02 MAY 2024 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F

Risk of thunderstorms overnight with lightning and hail

Northern France has warnings for thunderstorms for the start of May. With favourable ingredients of warm moist air, high CAPE and a warm front, southern Britain could see storms, hail and lightning. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow