Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Bbc Graphics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

Had a thought earlier [it didn't hurt, either B) ], why not in the summer put a sun index [!] on top of the temperature plus will we see a spherics map during storms :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

You may all be interested to know that our BBC West forecaster, Richard Angwin, has just this minute announced that he has requested from BBC Weather new graphics for the coastal tide times.

This coming after complaints that viewers couldn't read the times next to the Bristol Channel on the brown shaded map!!

Very disappointed with tonight's forecast, It's going to be warm/hot on Saturday, but is it going to be sunny, not to show give any indication on the weather maps is a copout, Very POOR.

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

I agree, i just watched the weather on bbc 24 at 20:56 and it was the same helen gave nothing away. :)

Posted

i agree its very odd. The potential over the weekend to have some major storms is there, quite why niether the BBC or Met Office, online, let alone the Met Office forecasters are largely ignoring it I have no idea.

For a realistic view look at the new Net Wx weekly forecast and our latest alert.

regards

John

Posted
i  agree its very odd. The potential over the weekend to have some major storms is there, quite why niether the BBC or Met Office, online, let alone the Met Office forecasters are largely ignoring it I have no idea.

For a realistic view look at the new Net Wx weekly forecast and our latest alert.

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello John,

I have had a word with our duty BMO tonight and asked for you. All I can tell you is that confidence is low on the exact development and placement of thundery activity at the moment which is why nothing much is being said. Expect more details from 1800 tomorrow evening.

MB

I am not surprised that there is uncertainty, I had guessed that from the lack of detail on Saturday, but they should have said there was uncertainty instead of ignoring it, to be honest I would repect that.

Posted

thanks Micro, good of you to ask.

It just struck me as odd. I'm not given to 'ramping' but this weekend has every possibility of some big storms. Does this mean that the Met Office have not even warned those who rely on an idea of happenings 48 hours before. The grid system, men up poles etc, oil terminal, lightning strikes! I could go on but won't.

Not your fault and thank you again for being so informative.

regards

John

Posted

watched the BBC(=Met Office) forecast on BBC at 2230= 'isolated storms on Sunday into Monday!!

Posted
thanks Micro, good of you to ask.

It just struck me as odd. I'm not given to 'ramping' but this weekend has every possibility of some big storms. Does this  mean that the Met Office have not even warned those who rely on an idea of happenings 48 hours before. The grid system, men up poles etc, oil terminal, lightning strikes! I could go on but won't.

Not your fault and thank you again for being so informative.

regards

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem John, always glad to find things out if I can where others find it more frustrating within dear 'aunty beeb'.

Helen did also tell me they are closely monitoring the progress and development of cooler weather across the country on Sun & Mon but indications at this stage suggest only isolated storms are likely to occur, at the moment probability is felt less than 10 per cent.

Without wishing to appear controversial, if there was a real threat of storms likely to cause disruption or endanger then the MO and the BBC would have issued warnings or watches. The BBC would do so immediately if the situation were to change.

MB

Edited by Microburst

Posted
Incidentally has anyone seen the thunderstorm graphics on screen yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi MB, I have seen the thunderstorm graphic used on the 5 day outlook on our local weather...now that is a cool graphic! :)

Posted
Hi MB, I have seen the thunderstorm graphic used on the 5 day outlook on our local weather...now that is a cool graphic! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL Paul, the old flash symbol !! I wonder why they kept those for on-line! I must find out.

Posted

MB, I was sitting there moaning about the new graphics to my Dad when the forecast was on...then suddenly I saw the thunderstorm graphic! "Hey thats cool" I said! So that won me over a little! :)

Posted

Hi Microburst.

I've been reading this thread for a while, and have to say top job in getting those answers from the BBC team :D

Its good to see that there are always reasons behind what they do and dont do.

Can I just ask. Youre not Terry Wogan are you? :) You seem to be like Net Weathers presenter of "Points of View" ;):)

Thanks again.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I'm still concerned about the dumbing down of the forecast. They certainly make very little issue of the wind. One day they said hold onto your Hats at Royal Ascot and then failed to mention any wind speed or show any of the useless arrows.

If they're not careful they'll end up with another fishy episode.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days

There also need to be more temperature symbols on the 'today' and 'tonight' charts.

Posted

Have to say I am not at all happy about the lack of lightning symbols now on the main charts. Watching without sound, you would have no idea about the risk of thunderstorms later tomorrow with the charts just showing rain falling. Now that is dumbing down in my opinion.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

yesterday on a forecast i saw a rain blob and there was definately some lightning flashes in it, quite good actually! however they hardly mentioned the risk, and played down the 'event' so to speak

Posted

Was that on the local or national forecast Davie?

It could be that as the BBC aren't particularly mentioning storms then that explains why they are just showing mostly rain showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Have to say I am not at all happy about the lack of lightning symbols now on the main charts. Watching without sound, you would have no idea about the risk of thunderstorms later tomorrow with the charts just showing rain falling. Now that is dumbing down in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably not mentioned as it will confuse the Joe six pack.

So blue covers Rainfall, Frost and Thunderstorms. Surely this has tol be more confusing. Also if you've got the sound down becuase you're on the phone how are you going to know the blue blob is either a storm, frost (night time) or just a normal shower.

The BBC forecast is now a very low standard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The more I see the new graphics in action, the more I find myself concurring with TM's assertions about allocation time. The new graphics are likely only to be a transitionary problem, particularly since the public have been listened to, and the graphics system improved accordingly.

I don't think the forecasters or the MetO are at fault either- the apparent decline in standards can be sufficiently explained by the time allocation issue.

The forecasts have spot on this week, the accuracy in the forecasts has not diminshed if anything it has improved, would certainly agree about the need to increase the length of the forcasts though.

Posted

TWS

The time problem has been there for over 25 years, 30 in fact. Its slowly been eroded, on radio and TV; see the post by MB which did explain why the Met Office and its staff never have any joy in persuading the BBC to reverse the trend.

Maybe we should start a campaign to write to our MP's complaining about it. Not just Net Wx, get all the web sites to trawl their members and the members family and work mates!!

regards from an ex forecaster who gave up years ago trying to persuade the BBC to stop the decrease in time for weather forecasts.

John

Posted

Personally, I think with the growth of the internet the importance of TV forecasts is slowly lessening - tv bosses probably recognise this fact as they are showing no signs of increasing the time allocated to weather forecasts. This is coupled with the fact that imo the weather is becoming more and more a part of our lives as our climate changes and throws some very different scenarios at us..

From the feedback I receive, more and more people are using sites such as net-weather for their weather information and I would expect that this pattern will continue in the future.