Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Bbc Graphics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

You may well be right.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
The forecasts have spot on this week, the accuracy in the forecasts has not diminshed if anything it has improved, would certainly agree about the need to increase the length of the forcasts though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Without writing down exactly what was said each day I cannot say either way to be honest. One day they said it would be windy but it wasn't and Yesterdays was wrong. However if you leave out more detail theres less chance of being wrong.

Time allocation needs to go up but getting the beeb to do that is another matter. If they left out four annoying trailers that would help.

I've also got a feeling they adjusted the graphics again slightly as it does seem easier to read now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Definatly changed the graphics as it's more easier to read.

Watched the country file forecast. Undressed the presenter then it was nice to see the preasure charts with visable fronts.

Still need proper wind speeds though and storms need clear indications which doesn't happen at the moment.

Get the wind speeds shown and Storms shown and I'll give the graphics a cauitous 7/10

Posted
The forecasts have spot on this week, the accuracy in the forecasts has not diminshed if anything it has improved, would certainly agree about the need to increase the length of the forcasts though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so for here Jackone. B)

Wednesday's rain - the timing, duration and heaviness was completely wrong. Even the 8.30am/8.45am forecasts that morning at only 2 hours before the event, were totally inaccurate.

Obviously Shuggee can't talk for the weather there.

The Countryfile was reasonably good today, better use of charts than last week, showing them at the end of the week is better than the start of the week.

Posted

Probably been commented on - we don't get the rainfall radar to back up the forecast no more. Like today, when in fairness it was pretty accurate as to where the storms occurred. Instead we have a computer generated graphic of the rainfall radar for a particular time, which has passed, when the actual rainfall radar of what is actually happening would suffice thank you.

Blobs are no good. Its very blobby their idea of thunderstorms. Has the radar been snatched away? No more real time info, the new graphics and so-called models replace current data. I'll just sit in a darkened room and never look outside and rely on fancy graphics.

Posted

I don't think Rob McElwee likes the new graphics. As the best presenter on the BBC they've taken away all his best tools. My other half says she is in favour of the new graphics as all the public want to know is whether it will be wet, hot or not. Yet she appreciates his forecasts, as he tries to explain what the synoptics are.

I feel Rob is making the best of a bad job when I see him now. Its rather sad.

Posted
Hi Microburst.

I've been reading this thread for a while, and have to say top job in getting those answers from the BBC team  :D

Its good to see that there are always reasons behind what they do and dont do.

Can I just ask. Youre not Terry Wogan are you? :D You seem to be like Net Weathers presenter of "Points of View"  ;)   :D

Thanks again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol Snowman, glad to help, alas I am not TW :)

Posted
Have to say I am not at all happy about the lack of lightning symbols now on the main charts. Watching without sound, you would have no idea about the risk of thunderstorms later tomorrow with the charts just showing rain falling. Now that is dumbing down in my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Point taken and I will pas this on this morning. Something I wondered about too! Aren't we all just getting a touch carried away with the 'dumbing down' references? Just a thought! :D

MB

Posted
Probably not mentioned as it will confuse the Joe six pack.

So blue covers Rainfall, Frost and Thunderstorms. Surely this has tol be more confusing. Also if you've got the sound down becuase you're on the phone how are you going to know the blue blob is either a storm, frost (night time) or just a normal shower.

The BBC forecast is now a very low standard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't agree with low standard, it's just presented in a more modern way as we have discussed on here before and in other threads. Got your point though about the sound thing....and will pass this on.

MB

Posted
Without writing down exactly what was said each day I cannot say either way to be honest. One day they said it would be windy but it wasn't and Yesterdays was wrong. However if you leave out more detail theres less chance of being wrong.

Time allocation needs to go up but getting the beeb to do that is another matter. If they left out four annoying trailers that would help.

I've also got a feeling they adjusted the graphics again slightly as it does seem easier to read now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I refer the honourable gentleman to the reply I gave some posts ago regarding trailers and and timings!

As for the adjusted graphics this is ongoing based on the comments received.

MB

Posted
Definatly changed the graphics as it's more easier to read.

Watched the country file forecast. Undressed the presenter then it was nice to see the preasure charts with visable fronts.

Still need proper wind speeds though and storms need clear indications which doesn't happen at the moment.

Get the wind speeds shown and Storms shown and I'll give the graphics a cauitous 7/10

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for undressing the presenter OK it was a tad warm yesterday! Comments have been passed about storms and windspeeds - be patient!

Posted
Probably been commented on - we don't get the rainfall radar to back up the forecast no more. Like today, when in fairness it was pretty accurate as to where the storms occurred. Instead we have a computer generated graphic of the rainfall radar for a particular time, which has passed, when the actual rainfall radar of what is actually happening would suffice thank you.

Blobs are no good. Its very blobby their idea of thunderstorms. Has the radar been snatched away? No more real time info, the new graphics and so-called models replace current data. I'll just sit in a darkened room and never look outside and rely on fancy graphics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points - will pass these on today.

Posted

BBC1 6:28pm forecast...

The wind speed symbols have appeared! :(

Posted

Yeah i noticed that as well,with the actual windspeeds as well,thank god they got rid of those horrid wind-arrow things that were on before,well done BBC,both the wind arrows and the radar loop over the last 2 days,impressive and is winning me over now completely.

I'd go as far now as to say its more worth then the old system of symbols.