Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Bbc Graphics

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Hot Summer days
If they show the map face on will they still have to tilt it in order to show the rain or are we in for a long spell of dry weather for the next few years :D

It will be interesting to see what appears on our screens

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll still see the rain falling in the zoom/tilt, the untilted map will look as the website http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/clo...in.shtml#no_url

Posted
The graphics are very clever.

Scotland when panning South in your Lear Jet looks so tiny.

too right when they put the map at the stupid angle you cant make it out. Unless your in southern england the detail is terrible. Scotland got one whole weather symbol (aberdeen) int that just dandy !

Posted

just off to Manchester to catch a flight for my hol in the morning. That is very good news and proof that 'constructive' cricism can succeed. Hope we can get the isobars and fronts back. Thank you Microburst for being so open on here, it is appreciated.

regards

John

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Good news. Shows what happens when you don't properly research though.

Grahics would be ideal on the web though with full controls letting the user tilt pan rotate etc.

Hopefully they'll learn over this failed project and let some outsiders test it first.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
Good news. Shows what happens when you don't properly research though.

Grahics would be ideal on the web though with full controls letting the user tilt pan rotate etc.

Hopefully they'll learn over this failed project and let some outsiders test it first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't agree it is a failed project. It is here to stay with some modifications made as time goes by. The old graphics will not be coming back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still need to do more modifications.

Wind Speed is far too vague to the point of being useless.

Rainfall seems to also effect the brown areas as well. Problem is it's the height of the rainfall falling making it difficult to tell wheres it falling due to angle of viewing.

Sunshine should change to yellow rather than light coffee.

Instead of panning how about pulling out the chunks of the country like a pie chart and then going into detail.

Posted
Still need to do more modifications.

Wind Speed is far too vague to the point of being useless.

Rainfall seems to also effect the brown areas as well. Problem is it's the height of the rainfall falling making it difficult to tell wheres it falling due to angle of viewing.

Sunshine should change to yellow rather than light coffee.

Instead of panning how about pulling out the chunks of the country like a pie chart and then going into detail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good points, I will pass them on.

Posted

New revised graphics available tomorrow on BBC weather broadcasts. There is still room for more improvements any ideas forthcoming I will pass on next week.

MB

PS I am trying for you!!! But it's a hard slog!

Posted

Hi,thats certainly good news and does go someway to helping the situation the Beeb have got themslef into.I think if they do adress a few matters such as the tilt and also the cloud/sunshine contrast and also the wind arrows i'll be very happy with the system.

The Graphics certainly are an improvement,but only used in the right way,and I feel the changes are a large step in that right direction.

Posted

the maps on the website need sorting though.

There is only two symbols on here relavent to the north west tv region (liverpool and isle of man). While Barrow is in the tv region, the symbol isn't. There is more detail for the other regions and its a joke. In fact the map for the Leeds area is more relavant for the north west.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/northwest/

Posted

I would like to see the land mass returned to green...I'm sure it could help make things easier to determine. Especially if the sunshine areas were yellow. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It's a positive sign that the BBC have taken enough notice of public opinion to make some changes to the current system.

Perhaps if public opinion and the added weight of politicians could get behind a campaign to re-allocate programme advertising time to the main weather forecasts there might be enough time to include the isobaric charts, complete with fronts, and, accompanied by a brief explanation of what was happening from a qualified forecaster.

I've raised this issue with the BBC on many occasions over the past few years but a few scattered voices are unlikely to be heard.

The regional forecasts maintain the improvement shown when the new system was launched. There is as much time allocated to the East Midlands forecast as to the to the national forecast; this allows a good deal of detail in the forecast. There is a brief look at the isobaric chart, sans fronts, but nevertheless, better than nothing. The improvement almost compensates for the lack of meteorological knowledge and insight exhibited by the presenters. Still you can't have everything.

Finally, a thankyou to Microburst for keeping us up to date with the latest information emanating from the BBC.

T.M

Posted

It's probably already been said - but I really miss the colour contoured temperature maps. Blue through green to yellow/orange and red. Surely these are simple to understand and could be superimposed on the dreadful 3D map (thankfully to re-perspectived (!)).

As for the wind aroows - need a complete re-think; almost meaningless.

But overall, I would say I am personally getting used to it, and can see the advantages of the presentation. But I want to see more forecast, less presentation; hate the new 12 hour clock; want pressure maps back and want to see Scotland properly!

Over all a C+

See me.

Posted
UPDATE!

The BBC said the system, which it bought from the New Zealand Met Office, was the biggest change to its weather in 20 years and would take time to bed in. It also pointed to new audience research showing that seven in 10 viewers either preferred the new forecasts or liked them as much as the old ones.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If seven out of ten "either preferred the new forecasts or liked them as much as the old ones" that actually tells us nothing.

If the 3 out of ten hate them, and, say six liked them as much as the old ones (becasue only 1 out of ten preferred the new ones), then actually 9 out of ten prefer the old ones. Talk about using statistics to say anything.

Posted
If seven out of ten "either preferred the new forecasts or liked them as much as the old ones" that actually tells us nothing.

If the 3 out of ten hate them, and, say six liked them as much as the old ones (becasue only 1 out of ten preferred the new  ones), then actually 9 out of ten prefer the old ones.  Talk about using statistics to say anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shuggee what are you on mate?

Posted

blurple purp

Posted
New revised graphics available tomorrow on BBC weather broadcasts. There is still room for more improvements any ideas forthcoming I will pass on next week.

MB

PS I am trying for you!!!  But it's a hard slog!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your efforts are very much appreciated Microburst and its great we've got an outlet via you, but the best idea i've got is to return the format to how it was although I know that won't happen.

At least your lot are listening and taking it on the chin - despite the initial spin telling us how much we wanted the new graphics and dumbing down of forecasts to a remedial level. Nice to see the odd pressure chart returning though, albeit on regional forecasts, which ironically have improved a little, but that might have something to do with not getting motion sickness from whizzing around on the national forecast. It would be nice to see the actual pressure in millibars of course, but slowly we might be getting somewhere if we're stuck with this. I suppose us licence fee paying public will have to comprimise and meet half way, but it still should have been left as it was.

Unfortunately some people will take the new more detailed cloud and rainfall as gospel, when it's unrealistic to predict the exact distribution of both on an hourly basis, so please take that onboard. Since the new forecasts came in not one forecaster/presenter has pointed out that its at best a model or just an animation, and perhaps it should be taken with a pinch of salt, especially if there aren't any fronts in sight. Just a bit cumulus coming and going. The old forecasts were more vague in those respects, but were within far more reasonable error margins if you get my drift.

If this format of forecasts is to continue the above needs to be expressed although it might appear obvious - some people may get the wrong end of the stick and get annoyed that they didn't put the washing out at 11am because of a discrete blob of rain over their location on the new weather map whereas the old suggested the chance of a shower over a general region.

I felt very sorry for Dan Corbett on the 6pm news, he was all over the shop with regards "apologising" and explaining the resizing of the north of the UK to more realistic proportions from tomorrow. How you dared do that in the first place is beyond me.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

yes, this morning the graphics were re-tilted and you could see scotland more clearly- will keep some people happy im sure, and others still wont be happy- but scotland and the north is bigger and more visible :angry:

Posted

My personal opinion were there were two fundamental problems with the map:

1) The tilt

2) The colour of the map/BI

Number was the crux of many of the problems (couldnt define whether it was cloudy or not/couldnt see the wind arrows etc etc).

As long as these are sorted, I think the new format will be just fine.

Posted
yes, this morning the graphics were re-tilted and you could see scotland more clearly- will keep some people happy im sure, and others still wont be happy- but scotland and the north is bigger and more visible :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trsut me, people will never be happy! :angry: