Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted
I am watching on another window a live forecast on wwltv.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought the BBC Online coverage would be round the clock live by now, but I can only get reports, not live coverage.

Guest Nelbertine
I am watching on another window a live forecast on wwltv. The eye is currently 32 miles in diameter - that is scary to think of it extending from here beyond Bath to my North and towards Salisbury to my South :D .

They have also had a up close radar watch showing possible wind shear and tornadoes in the storms ahead of the main hurricane rain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking about the 1953 east coast floods - windspeed sustained around 55-65 mph with a storm-surge of around 11 feet here in Lincolnshire - and 50-odd people died.

Compare that with sustained windspeeds of 140 miles an hour and a coastal storm-surge of 18 feet - conservative estimates for Katrina and it puts our weather into perspective.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The BBC wont have 24hr coverage for the hurricane. They may do on bbc news 24 which starts after 1am 2moz

Posted

not the end just lots of work to build it up again. I pity all those people who will lose items they cannot replace like photos and sentimental stuff.

Pets, livestock and of course the wildlife.

If anybody has planned to go to New Orleans for christmas then it may well be off limits.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well, if does stay a cat 5, and a direct hit with New Orleans, then it could be a real nasty mess come the morning.

20.000, 30.000 peolpe taking cover in the super dome. They hope the roof stays on, if not I would'nt want to be there :D

Posted
at this stage, its the end of new orleans

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You been watching too many Armageddon movies?? :D

Posted

oh no its certainly not the end of NO,even if she comes in as a 185mh hurricane which really is the worst case,I feel more likely as a 165-170,roughly eual to Camille at landfall,but then again it'll certainly leave a amassive mess and will give the skyscrapers a good challange.

Posted

Yea! It'll still be there - Just drowned and remodernised!! Just need to wait for it to dry out before they can do anything!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Many people are staying put. Not through choice, but due to the fact that a third of tha cities population dont own a car.

Posted
FOX news has just shown some dick go out on a surfboard????????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He wants to catch that one big wave - it should bring him 20 miles inland... :D

Posted

This is the kind of situation that ChaserUK would revel in, he'd be there on the marina (or whatever it's called) at New Orleans.

Think about the 32 mile diameter eye in relation to where you live, being able to stand outside in calmness / clearness with a tall wall of (rotating) cloud visible all around approx 16 miles away in each direction, gradually edging closer from the South. Then all of a sudden the calmness is replaced by 175mph gusts :D .

That is an incredible image !

....and now they're saying that they're not 100% certain as to the roof of the Superbowl staying intact......Bit bloody late now innit?

Guest Nelbertine
He wants to catch that one big wave - it should bring him 20 miles inland...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A candidate for next year's Darwin Awards......

Posted

Those of you who are watching the eye witness news via the web, dont you all think that the technology and detail of the forecasts is pretty impressive - makes our bbc ones look very poor. I cant imagine a bbc forecast as detailed and technical as this, talk of wind shear and the detail at which they zoom in, ah well never mind.

Those of you who are watching the eye witness news via the web, dont you all think that the technology and detail of the forecasts is pretty impressive - makes our bbc ones look very poor. I cant imagine a bbc forecast as detailed and technical as this, talk of wind shear and the detail at which they zoom in, ah well never mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably because we'll never have anything as destructive as this to contend with!

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't matter what station I watch over there for various storms but they are all far better than anything over here. We don't have all these doppler radars though that they use for zooming into areas.