Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cat 5 Hurricane Katrina

Posted

When is the supposed storm surge with giant waves supposed to hit NO?

Posted

Fox is reporting 105 mph winds now in NO. power is now out and in the French area roof tops are being blown off. Also it is still about 1to 2hours away.

Posted

Do you think the storm will reach the UK? If it does how much weaker is it going to be? In additon do you think all the weather events cureently going on in the world are linked to Global Warming?

Posted
it just says unable to establish a connection to the server when i click the link

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems ok playing in windows media player..

No matter, though :)

2-3 hours i heard the surge was supposed to happen..could be bogus info though

Posted

Has anyone seen this fox news reporter in Gulfport. He is having a hard time standing up, you can really see how the wind has picked up in the last hour, the windows in the hotel are smashing and there are things flying threw the air. And again its not reached there yet.

Posted

Haven't heard much about the storm surge for a while... it was just announced by the homeland security guy that the pumps in New Orleans have now failed. Also a reporter in the Superdome is reporting roof failing and rain entering the building.

Posted

Here are some quotes from around the world.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I wish I had better news for you but we are facing a storm that most of us have feared,"
"This hurricane has the potential to cause extreme damage and large loss of lives if they don't take action very soon,"
"When you are on a holiday you don't really follow these kind of things," Neil Coffey, 35, a tourist from Britain, said as he stood in line to get into the Superdome. "We were surprised. We don't get hurricanes like this at home."
"It's capable of causing catastrophic damage,"
"New Orleans may never be the same."

Posted

Been watching some of the coverage on TV and you've gota laugh at these reporters getting blown all over the place.

Love to be there experiencing it though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Has anyone seen this fox news reporter in Gulfport. He is having a hard time standing up, you can really see how the wind has picked up in the last hour, the windows in the hotel are smashing and there are things flying threw the air. And again its not reached there yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This Steve Harrigan guy in the blue raincoat and goggles? Yep i'm watching. Poor guy, just saying that he's going to persuade the hotel to let them in when he can't take anymore.

Posted

Yep the pumps have failed,I think this area may have been lucky that it didn't keep up its strength as Camille did,which came in with winds of 165mph,this one is now down to 145mph,a good 25mph lower although it is still going to create a massive mess,without the pumps this area will now flood very quickly and any storm surge will flood the city and with the eyewall still to come that will only cause more flooding in the city.

superdome roof doesn't look like its holding up that well,rain leaking in and winds now gusting upwards of 115mph a good 20 miles away from the eyewall,where gusts of 170-180mph probable I think.Even with the weakening overnight,this stil rival Camille I suspect for power.

Pressure at 923mbs suggests that its still holding onto the strong category-4 winds,not good as the eyewall will still have wind gusts upwards of 170mph,which will mess the city up alot and alot of trouble and I think the most costly hurricane ever,with the superdome without power and leaking and a large hotel having glass falling inwards.

Edited by kold weather

Posted

Superdome air conditioning has gone. Hilton hotel (probably one of the best made buildings going) has lost tiles, glass.

It's about now, that news coming from NO will be scarce..too dangerous to report.

EDIT: Main bridge over water now taking water.

65000 without power in S. Mobile.

Edited by Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

20.jpg

Looks like its still got a good eyewall.

Kain

Edited by Kane

Posted
http://www.lostremote.com/

found this link maybe of interest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

new orleans is only 15 miles or less from the northern eyewall. winds are sustained at 135 to 140mph. with the superbowl roof already breached, this is looking like a very dangerous situation

Posted

The radar shows the eye has come ashore and it looks like the west wall of the eye will pass NO on the east.

This is close to the worst-case scenario as:

Lk. Ponchartrain is getting pumped up with surge from the current winds which have now backed from SE to easterly

Once Ponchartrain has been loaded up, the Easterly and subsequent NE flow will push the water to the west

The subsequent north, NW and west winds will generate waves and surges against the levees :):)

Posted

Looks to me like Biloxi will get the worst of the storm surge and winds,as its in the RFQ of the storm(RFQ means right front quadrant)this tends to be where the highest winds are found and in this storm this is the case,as is the case with any storm moving northwards.Then there is the added problem of the storm surge.on the eastern side the wind should be coming up from the south which causes the water to head inland,which is the storm surge.I reckon the worst area for this will be between Gulfport and Biloxi as the storm heads northwards.

New Orleans should be seeing the worst in terms of Storm surge as the eyewall comes close,with some high winds and heavy rain,probably wind gusts above 100mph over the next 1hr or so,eventually once the storm reaches the same latitude as New Orleans the winds should swing round to more of a northerly which means the wind coming from the land which means any storm surge effect should be lessened greatly and drive any water southwards.

Intense eyewall with winds at least sustained at 115mph should reach Gulfport within the next 1hr or so.Rainfall close to the eyewall is amazingly heavy,isolated pockets of 3 inches per hour being found by radar,which is truely amazing and means 75mm/hr with sustained winds of 145mph at worst would cause whiteout condtions and torrential rain,and probably alot of damage.

I just hope that the damage isn't to severe and that the superdome's roof holds out,without air condtioning and rain leaking into the roof with the winds probably gusting at 110mph in the region,must be very very scary in the area.Oh crap,part of the roof has actually ripped of the asuperdome,holy F***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so thankful this wasn't a strong category-5.

Edited by kold weather