Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports Sat 10th Sept 05

Paul Sherman

Posted

Here is my whole report for this evenings ridiculous storm.

I got home at 17.00 with a cloud forming just NE of Westbury.

By 17.15 it was a huge CB and literally sitting on top of the town.

I went out to the bin at 17.20 and could hear a lashing sound :o , looking down the road revealed a wall of rain about 100m away :o .

I went upstairs and the sound was amazing, it took 5 minutes to rain over my house and, even when it did, up the road it was still clearly dry . The rain started just like turning a hose on.

This deluge lasted until about 18.00 and during that time thunder became audible every minute and there was one overhead flash of lightning.

The rain eased after 18.00 but was still heavy, a clearance to the N/NE provided an eerie pinky orange sky with updrafts of scud seemingly rotating. At the same time I saw a few CG strikes a few miles to the NW followed by booming thunder.

Thunder moved from NW-W-SW-S in the next half an hour before easing away over the edge of Salisbury Plain. The rain stopped at about 18.45 and a wade to my rain gauge revealed 40mm of rain - most of which fell in half an hour :o .

There are links to a few flooded patio pics on page 5 of today's discussion and they are also viewable in my gallery....

My gallery

Posted

wow - massive thunderstorm. (3rd of today) Its been rumbling on now for an hour, and is still going. Fork lightning and loud rumbles!

Edited by snow raven

It looks to have passed over now but some really close +CG lightning. Approximatly 10 CG, Both negative and positive. A load of CC lightning and loud booming thunder making things shake.

Unfortunatly a rain band has passed through and has practically dampened the storm off.

I can smell burning in the air though - albeit not from the CG strike directions - and i can hear alot of sirens pretty close by - Police and Fire Service so im guessing either a smash on the M2 or some poor persons house has been hit.

Started almost 1 hour ago. Now cleared, and moving roughly NNW

Posted

Just adding on from earlier, 3 storms yesterday, 2 in London and o/n in Essex (The Best One) and 2 today, well actually that thundery stuff sat over the London area for pretty much 8 hours, cannot get better than that.

5 Storms in 2 days and that is more than June/July & August put together :o :o :o

Paul Sherman

Posted

hi everyone im new on the train home from the chelsea match heading down south i saw lots of fork lightning and my sister saw a small bolt hit a chimney

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
hi everyone im new on the train home from the chelsea match heading down south i saw lots of fork lightning and my sister saw a small bolt hit a chimney

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice account Dan123...Welcome to net-weather!!! :angry::angry::angry: