Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Also looking like the drought is getting pretty severe in the inland parts of SE states, some parts are on the highest drought alert level now I believe.

Meanwhile parts of the plains which have had plenty of rain from the remians of Erin (which by the way amazingly reformed again overland---will be upgraded to Tropical storm stauts at the end of the seaosn in OK!!) gave huge amounts of rainfall.

Indeed. Persistent high pressure over long periods has left many parts extremely parched. They would love a tropical system to come through the South East sometime soon (although not a hurricane obviously!). Chart shows 2007 to end of August.

post-1957-1189185705_thumb.png

Edited by WhiteFox

Posted

Interesting to note that Chicago could be seeing near record low temperatures for the 24 period overnight tonight. The record low for September is 3oC set in 1974. Forecasts are going for 5oC tonight. This will break the record for the date which currently stands at 8oC. For Minneapolis, the forecast is 2oC which may equal the date record. The record minimum in Minneapolis for September is -3oC (incidentally, the earliest freeze on record for Minn. is September 3rd in 1974).

post-1957-1189814525_thumb.png

This cold spell is short-lived however. By Tuesday Chicago is back up to 29oC with an overnight low of 19oC. How quickly it changes in the Midwest! The outlook is pretty mild in Chicago after this cold shot. With an average high of 24oC at this time of year it's a great time to visit Chicago...

The same is true of New York. A brief cooldown this weekend followed by a warm-up. Low humidity and warm days with no rainfall forecast. September probably ranks as my favourite month of the year...

Posted

After a week of warmer than average late summer temps, southern alberta has a dramatic cool down. Yesterday saw temps fall from 24oC to day time highs of about 12oC, and today around 7oC, with the possibility of 2-4cm of snow overnight in Calgary and possibly more due to upsloping effects in areas west, like Kananaskis, Canmore and Banff

Hard frost this morning on most things except the pavement, unusual to see here as humidity is so low so there is not normally enough moisture to even create the frost.

In other parts of Canada, the east looks set to have a superb week with warmer than average temps and lots of sunshine, from NW Ontario, all the ways over to Nova Scotia, with Southern Ontario touching the high 20's

The west is cooling down but still fairly sunny, B.C hitting highs of around 20's in places, mainly in the inland around Kelowna, Nelson, Pentiction.

Posted

It is currently beautiful here in the North East all right! Today was about 27oC, with tomorrow bringing more of the same. In fact, we're hovering around the high-twenties through to Wednesday, with the chance of touching 30oC. Temperatures are staying near 20oC overnight at the weekend, so it feels very pleasant right now!

Humidity is low, the air is clear, and there is the hint of autumn on the trees. Definitely some red leaves visible on the trees in Toronto on Saturday. Also, some of the trees here in New York are shedding; if I knew my trees a bit better, I could tell you which ones!

Posted

one of the guys i work with is out to washington later today, for the weekend, he says he will get some pics of the changing trees.

Washington DC or Washington state? It's a bit too early for the best shots this far south (and certainly as far south as DC), but there are a few early species. Washington state is a different matter; go to some of the higher elevations and the leaves will be turning already.

The map shows just how crazy they are about fall over here!

post-1957-1190340500_thumb.jpg

Posted

On Tuesday 18th we had a fierce hail and lightning storm over this part of BC, lasting much of the afternoon, and dumping about 50 mms of rain in two hours in some places. There was so much hail that I was driving through slush at one point -- nothing you could get a picture of, it was so dark the streetlights came on. And it was unnaturally cold too, about 10-12 C during the hailstorm.

Al Gore is coming to town in a week's time, hope he packed his woollies.

Posted

Hi, White Fox

My husband and I are coming to New York for the first time from 15-22 Oct, so it would be good if you could keep me posted as to how the weather's going to pan out over the next few weeks. I've no idea at this stage what clothes to take - I'm hoping the weather will still be quite nice, although I've heard New York weather can change really quickly!

Posted

Hi, White Fox

My husband and I are coming to New York for the first time from 15-22 Oct, so it would be good if you could keep me posted as to how the weather's going to pan out over the next few weeks. I've no idea at this stage what clothes to take - I'm hoping the weather will still be quite nice, although I've heard New York weather can change really quickly!

I'm sure you will enjoy it!

October can still be a very nice month in New York. The average high is 17-18oC and the average low is 9-10oC in the middle of October. Having said that, it can easily be in the low-twenties. The jetstream does tend to become more variable however, so don't rule out a cold front coming down from the North West, although these generally only bring showers or thunderstorms and cooler air rather than long periods of rain. It's more likely that a coastal low could bring a day or so of bad weather, but it wouldn't be a trip to New York without experiencing some extreme weather! The New York rain has to be seen to be believed; it's one case where the movies do not exaggerate. So, bring t-shirts, light jumpers and a rain coat...

Also, it's a great time for visiting Central Park as the leaves will be turning. If you have time, and I see you are there for a week, take the Amtrak train from Penn Station to Poughkeepsie; it runs alongside the Hudson and the scenery will be spectacular by then. The ride is about 1 hour and 20 minutes and trains run hourly.

For the record, 28oC has been recorded as late as October 22nd in New York, and the earliest frost was recorded on October 20th.

I'll keep an eye out for you and keep you updated on how it's looking.

Posted

I'm sure you will enjoy it!

October can still be a very nice month in New York. The average high is 17-18oC and the average low is 9-10oC in the middle of October. Having said that, it can easily be in the low-twenties. The jetstream does tend to become more variable however, so don't rule out a cold front coming down from the North West, although these generally only bring showers or thunderstorms and cooler air rather than long periods of rain. It's more likely that a coastal low could bring a day or so of bad weather, but it wouldn't be a trip to New York without experiencing some extreme weather! The New York rain has to be seen to be believed; it's one case where the movies do not exaggerate. So, bring t-shirts, light jumpers and a rain coat...

Also, it's a great time for visiting Central Park as the leaves will be turning. If you have time, and I see you are there for a week, take the Amtrak train from Penn Station to Poughkeepsie; it runs alongside the Hudson and the scenery will be spectacular by then. The ride is about 1 hour and 20 minutes and trains run hourly.

For the record, 28oC has been recorded as late as October 22nd in New York, and the earliest frost was recorded on October 20th.

I'll keep an eye out for you and keep you updated on how it's looking.

Thanks, Mr Fox. Your input is much appreciated.

Posted

Thanks, Mr Fox. Your input is much appreciated.

Highs are approaching 30oC here this week with lows around 20oC, so it still feels like summer here even if it is getting dark at about 6.30. I was even tempted to use the air-conditioner last night!

Cools down to the low twenties next week though.

Posted

Highs are approaching 30oC here this week with lows around 20oC, so it still feels like summer here even if it is getting dark at about 6.30. I was even tempted to use the air-conditioner last night!

Cools down to the low twenties next week though.

Wow! Low 20s will do me - perfect weather for sight-seeing. Can't believe it's going to hit 30 deg in October!

Posted

Wow! Low 20s will do me - perfect weather for sight-seeing. Can't believe it's going to hit 30 deg in October!

Saturday's the day; it's forecast to be 29oC so not far off. The 6th October is also the latest date that 30oC has been recorded in New York (back in 1990).

Posted

Just started snowing here, big thick flakes, which makes a change for here. 4-6 inches expected by Friday morning. We'll see...

Posted

Just started snowing here, big thick flakes, which makes a change for here. 4-6 inches expected by Friday morning. We'll see...

There was a winter storm watch posted for Western Montana and surrounding areas yesterday for Friday which I notice has now been cancelled. Still some snow mixed in with rain likely though. I'm off there at the end of this month when I guess wintry weather is increasingly likely.

Posted

4-6 inches indeed received, about 100 metres above town, just wet thick flakes of snow all night in town

Posted

It's the time of year when wild temperature swings occur in the Midwest. I'm in Chicago where they had to end the marathon early today; temperatures hit 88oF (31oC) (it's still 26oC at 10pm) and tomorrow we're looking at 30oC. On Wednesday we're looking at only 14oC as a high! Hopefully some lively storms to mark the cold front whilst we're at it...

Spot the cold front:

post-1957-1191814217_thumb.png

Looking ahead, normal temperatures look set to continue; high teens for much of the Northern part of the country.

If icytoes reads this, early indications are for high teens on the 15th and clear.

Before that, it looks like a coastal system is going to affect the North East by next weekend; close to a classic Nor'Easter. In winter these systems can give heavy snow or freezing rain, but at this time of year it's going to be heavy rain and cold temperatures. Looking at the 500 chart, the Canadian High is in the wrong place to allow for a real winding up of the system (Although earlier charts showed the High slightly further West allowing a more defined low pressure to form off the coast):

post-1957-1191813401_thumb.png

the PPN chart shows that this could bring quite a soaking to New York. Looking at the charts, the rain is forecast to start on Friday morning and runs right through to Sunday. I doubt this will actually transpire as these systems are very hard to pin down until 48 hours before the event. However, if tonight's forecast verified we'd be looking at extremely large amounts of rain (perhaps five inches plus?) for NYC, souther New York State, New Jersey and Eastern PA:

post-1957-1191813982_thumb.png

As for temperatures, highs in single figures are well below the average of 18oC for mid-October:

post-1957-1191813732_thumb.png

At the moment, the mainstream media like The Weather Channel are not reporting too much on this as it is too far out. However we should know a bit more by Tuesday. So, for icytoes, you may arrive to a soggy New York, albeit sunny!

Whatever happens I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come...

Incidentally, looks like quite an active system heading just north of Roger's neck of the woods over to the West; the Pacific jet seems to be getting into it's autumn pattern right now:

post-1957-1191814342_thumb.png

Posted

It's the time of year when wild temperature swings occur in the Midwest. I'm in Chicago where they had to end the marathon early today; temperatures hit 88oF (31oC) (it's still 26oC at 10pm) and tomorrow we're looking at 30oC. On Wednesday we're looking at only 14oC as a high! Hopefully some lively storms to mark the cold front whilst we're at it...

Spot the cold front:

post-1957-1191814217_thumb.png

Looking ahead, normal temperatures look set to continue; high teens for much of the Northern part of the country.

If icytoes reads this, early indications are for high teens on the 15th and clear.

Before that, it looks like a coastal system is going to affect the North East by next weekend; close to a classic Nor'Easter. In winter these systems can give heavy snow or freezing rain, but at this time of year it's going to be heavy rain and cold temperatures. Looking at the 500 chart, the Canadian High is in the wrong place to allow for a real winding up of the system (Although earlier charts showed the High slightly further West allowing a more defined low pressure to form off the coast):

post-1957-1191813401_thumb.png

the PPN chart shows that this could bring quite a soaking to New York. Looking at the charts, the rain is forecast to start on Friday morning and runs right through to Sunday. I doubt this will actually transpire as these systems are very hard to pin down until 48 hours before the event. However, if tonight's forecast verified we'd be looking at extremely large amounts of rain (perhaps five inches plus?) for NYC, souther New York State, New Jersey and Eastern PA:

post-1957-1191813982_thumb.png

As for temperatures, highs in single figures are well below the average of 18oC for mid-October:

post-1957-1191813732_thumb.png

At the moment, the mainstream media like The Weather Channel are not reporting too much on this as it is too far out. However we should know a bit more by Tuesday. So, for icytoes, you may arrive to a soggy New York, albeit sunny!

Whatever happens I'm hoping this is a sign of things to come...

Incidentally, looks like quite an active system heading just north of Roger's neck of the woods over to the West; the Pacific jet seems to be getting into it's autumn pattern right now:

post-1957-1191814342_thumb.png

Hi, White Fox - thanks for all these updates. As long as New York gets the rain before next Monday, I don't mind. I'll be more than happy with high teens and dry weather. Although these sudden torrential downpours you get do sound exciting (as long as I'm watching it from indoors! :doh:

Posted

Temperatures as high as 31 C today in parts of Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and southwestern Ontario (recorded, not predicted).

Indeed. A few October records went today down in the Ohio Valley. It is very sultry for October it has to be said. Definitely a change in the air here in Chicago tonight though; not long until the cold front brings temperatures down. I have my fleece with me ready for a shock!

Tomorrow forecast to be 24oC, Wednesday, 14oC...

Posted

I'm going to be paying close attention to the weather of Winnipeg this winter, as I plan to spend a few months out there in a few years time, probably no time soon but its a long term goal and I should be able to feel some pretty severe cold there, even above average temps will feel pretty bitter compared to what we normal have in the UK, record high in Jan is 8C!

Fairly cool day today with maxes of 4-6C generally it seems with rain. 850hpa profiles to the east suggestive of a wintry mix, esp tomorrow as the 850hpa profiles dip and the colder air digs in the states and on higher ground I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some heavy snow for a time.

Beyond that and looks like temps are going to rise again in the Winnipeg region, indeed long term does look warm for the time of year but its just a suspense of what is to come for that region.

Posted

got a metar from tuktoyaktuk nunavut Canada may be a dumb question but what is virga

==================================================

ICAO : CYUB

Station Name : Tuktoyaktuk

Elevation : 5m

Time : 09/10/2007 19:00:00

Temperature : -7.0°C / 19.4°F

Dew Point : -8.0°C / 17.6°F

RH : 93%

Wind : SE (130 degrees) at 6 mi/h

Visibility : 24000m

Pressure : 1016.3 mb

Sky Condition : Broken clouds at 7000ft