Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North American Weather (U.S.A & Canada)

Posted

Snow here this morning as forecast the other day, windy blowing snow, pretty stormy out though looks like the worst is forecast to stay out at sea so not the big storm direct hit I was hoping for lol, we're forecast 10cm in Avalon with winds strengthening later on though I've seen conflicting forecasts with less forecast so will wait and see what we end up with later this afternoon when it's passed. Enough to shut all the schools in the region though according to the misses they shut at the merest hint of snow these days. Annoyingly the weather radar for Newfoundland seems to have been down all morning so have not been able to see the track of this system, I woke up this morning to check the radar with all this talk of snow and there was nothing showing, I thought at first they'd made a huge forecasting error till I looked out of the window seen the snow and it clicked the radar was bust!

Special weather statement updated by Environment Canada at 5:11 AM

NST Wednesday 11 January 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Special weather statement for:

St. John's and vicinity

Avalon Peninsula North

Avalon Peninsula southeast

Avalon Peninsula southwest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

==discussion==

A deep low pressure system just south of the Grand Banks will

continue to intensify as it passes southeast of the Avalon Peninsula

today. Snow over the Avalon Peninsula will taper to flurries this

afternoon. Strong northwesterly winds will develop this afternoon so

blowing snow over exposed areas will be an issue later today.

The highest snowfall amounts are still expected to remain offshore.

The east half of the Avalon can expect approximately 10 cm of snow

with lesser amounts further west.

Environment Canada will continue to closely monitor the track of this

storm. The public is advised to monitor future forecasts as warnings

may be required if the low passes closer to land than currently

forecast. Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from

Environment Canada at WWW.WEATHEROFFICE.GC.CA

End

Edited by glosteroldboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

much colder in Edmonton this morning -20c..brief cold snap before it gets abit warmer tomorrow and friday..then brutal cold sets in from saturday onwards..highs of -25c and lower by monday..some snow in the forecast too.

Posted

much colder in Edmonton this morning -20c..brief cold snap before it gets abit warmer tomorrow and friday..then brutal cold sets in from saturday onwards..highs of -25c and lower by monday..some snow in the forecast too.

Is winter about to really kick off for Canada? I read something about the jet stream beginning to weaken which will allow the colder air in from the North.

Pretty wintry here with around 10-15cm this morning, heralding a short cold snap with highs of about minus 10 tomorrow, then we seem to be forecast another 10cm of snow Friday but with that comes in some milder air behind it and a milder couple of days with 6 degrees forecast for Saturday so goodbye alot of this snow, Then like you say into next week it gets much colder again with highs well below freezing.

Posted

Finally snow arrived with upsloping yesterday - turned from brown to white with about 10cm's and temps from 12oC on Monday to -19oC this morning.

post-4391-0-39409100-1326308641_thumb.jp

Posted

Snow warnings out for New Hampshire and Maine. Plenty of snow at the moment in NY as seen by the Albany radar.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME

1034 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING FOR THE NORTHERN HALF OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND ALL

OF WESTERN INTERIOR MAINE INCLUDING THE MOUNTAINS... .

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH

THURSDAY EVENING FOR ALL OF COASTAL MAINE AND INTERIOR NEW

HAMPSHIRE...

.LOW PRESSURE OVER THE TENNESSEE VALLEY WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE

NORTHEAST ON THURSDAY AS A SECOND AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPS

ALONG THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST. PRECIPITATION WILL START

AS SNOW ACROSS THE REGION FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST...BEFORE

WARM AIR ALOFT CREATES A WINTRY MIX ALONG THE COAST AND SOUTHERN

INTERIOR. AREAS ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST WILL LIKELY CHANGE TO OR

MIX WITH RAIN BY AFTERNOON. CONFIDENCE IS HIGH FOR A SIGNIFICANT

SNOWFALL TO OCCUR IN THE WARNING AREAS WITH A MIX OF SNOW TO SLEET

AND FREEZING RAIN IN THE ADVISORY AREAS. AS SNOW WINDS DOWN

THURSDAY EVENING...FREEZING DRIZZLE WILL LIKELY DEVELOP ACROSS

MUCH OF THE AREA.

MEZ007>009-012>014-018>022-NHZ001>004-006-121200-

/O.CON.KGYX.WS.W.0001.120112T0900Z-120113T0300Z/

NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-

SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR YORK-

INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-

NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-

SOUTHERN CARROLL-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER...ROXBURY...UPTON...

WILSONS MILLS...COBURN GORE...RANGELEY...KINGFIELD...BINGHAM...

JACKMAN...RUMFORD...NORWAY...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...FARMINGTON...

WILTON...MADISON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...SANFORD...BERWICK...

NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...

LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...

COLEBROOK...BERLIN...LANCASTER...LITTLETON...NORTH CONWAY...

WOLFEBORO...OSSIPEE

1034 PM EST WED JAN 11 2012

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 10 PM EST

THURSDAY...

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF INTERIOR WESTERN MAINE INCLUDING THE

MOUNTAINS.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW MAY MIX WITH SOME SLEET IN THE AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 9 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...4 AM THURSDAY TO 10 PM THURSDAY.

* IMPACTS...COLD TEMPERATURES PRECEDING THE SNOWFALL WILL CAUSE

SURFACES TO BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY SHORTLY AFTER THE

ONSET OF PRECIPITATION.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE TEENS NORTH TO 20S SOUTH RISING INTO THE

LOWER 20S NORTH TO LOWER 30S SOUTH.

* VISIBILITIES...VARIABLE TO BELOW A QUARTER MILE IN HEAVIER SNOW

BURSTS...WHICH WILL LIKELY OCCUR BETWEEN 10 AM AND 1 PM.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF

SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN

AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...

FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY..

&&

Posted

Finally snow arrived with upsloping yesterday - turned from brown to white with about 10cm's and temps from 12oC on Monday to -19oC this morning.

Nice pic. Is beautifully snowy and sunny here today, and cold and crisp out minus 13 feels like minus 25. Had a couple more cm's over night and alot of blowing snow. Typically we've got a snow to rain event tomorrow so a short cold snap before something more prolonged next week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Anchorage, Alaska is experiencing its snowiest period since records began; in some areas, 318 inches and counting. Blimey!!!!

The scary part is, we (have) still three more months to go,’ said Kathryn Hawkins, a veterinarian who lives in nearby coastal community Valdez, which has seen 318 inches, or 27ft, of snow

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2085892/Record-snowfall-Anchorage-Alaskan-communities-run-shovels-following-27ft-snowfall.html#ixzz1jKagQzP

Posted

Snow here this morning turning to freezing rain then rain later today. Going from minus 12 to 8 degrees in the space of about 20 hours! Wish I could see a prolonged freeze, sort of reminds me of the UK a bit with it's short 2 day Northerly topplers we keep getting, though is alot more snowy and colder in general here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

27ft of snow is mind boggling. i can't even imagine what would happen if that fell on the UK.

Posted

We had -19oC here for a day and now its only minus 4oC - colder weather is due to hit again though this weekend with 5 days of snow forecast here from Sun-Thur with over a foot of snow forecast. That means we'll prob get nothing if they are forecasting it now lol...watch this space or follow the webcams in my sig :-)

Posted

We had -19oC here for a day and now its only minus 4oC - colder weather is due to hit again though this weekend with 5 days of snow forecast here from Sun-Thur with over a foot of snow forecast. That means we'll prob get nothing if they are forecasting it now lol...watch this space or follow the webcams in my sig :-)

We are forecast to get a paltry 2-4cm of snow over the weekend..then very cold next week..highs of -30c forecast for next wednesday

Posted

Glos, you can expect 12 C on Saturday then -15 C by Monday !! Western Newfoundland will be buried in sea effect snow and the odd heavy flurry might reach St John's in the strong WNW flow, but it's likely to be snapping cold and clear with a -25 wind chill.

Western Canada severe cold alert as bitterly cold Siberian air mass now pushing into Alaska, -47 C at Fairbanks at present. Storm track will set up across Washington, Idaho and Montana late this weekend, blizzard conditions are likely at times in southern Alberta and also around Vancouver and Victoria BC, although this will develop in stages on the coast. It looks to me as if Sunday-Monday will see 5-15 cms of snow here and 15-30 cms in parts of southeast BC and southern Alberta. Then Tuesday-Wednesday will see 20 to 40 cms of snow around southwestern BC (even more possible on Vancouver Island due to sea effect) with very strong outflow winds from the northeast. These storms may be more confined to border regions of interior BC and Alberta and bring blizzards to interior parts of the northwest U.S. while the Canadian west turns ever more frigid, in these types of outbreaks, -35 C daytime and -45 C overnight cannot be ruled out.

Meanwhile, it's turning a lot colder today across the northeast U.S. after weeks of mostly above normal temperatures, New York City was 2 C at mid-day and Chicago around -5 C. Heavy lake effect snow around Buffalo NY following freezing rain and sleet have all made a huge mess on the highways in western NY and parts of southern Ontario.

Here it comes ... La Nina's pair of aces hit on the river.

Posted

Glos, you can expect 12 C on Saturday then -15 C by Monday !! Western Newfoundland will be buried in sea effect snow and the odd heavy flurry might reach St John's in the strong WNW flow, but it's likely to be snapping cold and clear with a -25 wind chill.

The weather is more up and down than tarts knickers here! Gone from highs of minus 10 Thursday and 15-20cm of snow cover to +6 now and everything looking green again, most of the snow cover has vanished overnight I thought it might hang on somewhat until the next freeze but no chance, must be the strong wind here it's a real snow killer? Basically a spring day here today, before it all changes again tomorrow and into Monday.

Posted

The 1200z plots for Alaska and the US and Canada. It's -53F in some parts of Alaska and even 27F in Atlanta.

-53F thats brutal and its heading this way lol

Posted

now saying it could exceed -40c in my area at night mid week

Posted

now saying it could exceed -40c in my area at night mid week

Jesus! The cars been having trouble starting the past couple Of mornings and we've had a Min of -5, do you have any problms etc; and what would you say is the lowest common temperature there :)

Posted

Most people in Canada who park their cars outside have a "block heater" that they plug in for nights below -20 C. Also it is common practice to have both lock de-icer and gas-line anti-freeze ready for problem startups. Then you call the tow truck if all that doesn't work, and one time back in Jan 1976 I recall the tow truck had to call another tow truck (temp -35 C). Eventually something works and everybody gets going again.

Just had a 3 cm snowfall here last night, most of that has frozen after partially melting this morning.

Posted

Jesus! The cars been having trouble starting the past couple Of mornings and we've had a Min of -5, do you have any problms etc; and what would you say is the lowest common temperature there :)

As roger says most place of work and parkng lots in places like Edmonton have external plug ins for the block heater to keep the engine warm..i have an integral garage so my car doesnt stay out at night..i do remeber at work last winter plugging my car in at work as i was going away and taking the company truck...it was -25c and my hands were numb after a few minutes trying to unravel the plug pin in my engine