Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Vikings Volcanic Activity Thread

Guest Viking141

Guest Viking141

All I can say at this moment in time is move along, nothing to see here!! Dunno about any of you lot but this is doing my head in!! Not that ist going to be partiuculary pleasant for those living around the volcano, but you know what I mean.

Posted
All I can say at this moment in time is move along, nothing to see here!! Dunno about any of you lot but this is doing my head in!! Not that ist going to be partiuculary pleasant for those living around the volcano, but you know what I mean.
the predictability of an eruption must be, along with earthquakes, the most unpredictable thing ever. a sight i would love to experience, likewise, from a distance

Guest Viking141

UPDATE - MOUNT KELUT

Still no eruption as yet from Mount Kelut and scientists monitoring the volcano are now saying there are 3 likely scenarios for this volcano.

1. The gas being vented through the new island in the crater lake will release the pressure inside the volcano and it will calm down.

2. The water from the crater lake will leak through to the magma chamber causinga violent phreatic eruption

3. The magma build up will continue and eventually force its way through the crater lake and out the top of the volcano - this will be the most violent scenario.

The volcano is being closely monitored and the alert level remains at its highest level as anything could happen. This one is certainly keeping us on tenterhooks!

Guest Viking141

UPDATE - KRAKATAU

Activity at Anak Krakatau continues to increase, 143 brief eruptions which ejected hot rocks and volcanic material, 28 volcanic tremors and 31 other tremorsd. The new flank crater I reported yesterday continues to grow and it from this crater that this current activity is emanating. It currently measures 75m x 100m. Hot clouds of ash and steam are rising to heights of 600m.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny
UPDATE - MOUNT KELUT

Still no eruption as yet from Mount Kelut and scientists monitoring the volcano are now saying there are 3 likely scenarios for this volcano.

1. The gas being vented through the new island in the crater lake will release the pressure inside the volcano and it will calm down.

2. The water from the crater lake will leak through to the magma chamber causinga violent phreatic eruption

3. The magma build up will continue and eventually force its way through the crater lake and out the top of the volcano - this will be the most violent scenario.

The volcano is being closely monitored and the alert level remains at its highest level as anything could happen. This one is certainly keeping us on tenterhooks!

It certainly is. I see that Scientists at post are today still reporting that they "expect a significant eruption any time soon."

Guest Viking141
It certainly is. I see that Scientists at post are today still reporting that they "expect a significant eruption any time soon."

Yup they certainly are. She is just being a tease!

:lol:

Guest Viking141

LATEST NEWS - MOUNT KELUT

The lava island in the middle of the crater lake continues to grow accompanied by magmatic tremors and the venting of steam and gas to altitudes of 1000m above the crater. The volume of lava under the island or dome continues to increase and could still mean an explosive eruption at some point.

Guest Viking141

UPDATE - MOUNT KELUT

The alert level at Mount Kelut has now been downgraded to level 3 (on a scale of 1-4) due to a dramatic lowering of activity at ther volcano. People who have been, sometime forcibly, evacuated are now free to return to their homes.

"The volcano no longer has the energy needed for an explosive eruption that would threaten the lives of people living nearby," said the chief vulcanologist earlier today.

Villagers have been told they can return home but they are to remain alert as the volcano is still unpredictable.

Edited by Viking141

Guest Viking141

ERUPTION! - ANAK KRAKATAU

Well we have our Indonesian eruption but not the one we were expecting! Anak Krakatau (Child of Krakatoa) has been grumbling away for some weeks now and really burst into life in the early hours of this morning, spewing lava and ejecting hot rocks, thick smoke and ash from a new crater on the volcanos flank.

Attached photo shows the eruption in progress.

post-4448-1194616695_thumb.jpg

Guest Viking141
that little glowing thing off the shore... is it a floating piece of hot rok, or a boat on fire?

An extremely good question crimsone, very well put.

I don't know!

:)

Guest Viking141

Interesting item about Yellowstone. It appears that the Yellowstone caldera has risen by 7 inches at a rate of 2.8 inches per year, the biggest rise ever recorded. It appears the chamber below is filling with magma. The full news item can be found here:

Reuters news article

Guest Viking141

UPDATE - ANAK KRAKATAU

The eruption at Anak Krakatau continues with the ejection of lava, hot rocks and toxic gases. The volcanos alert status remains at level 3 for the present. It has been difficult to see the ongoing eruption today due to severe bad weather which has obscured the volcano, however, this has also had the effect of immediately cooling the clouds of ash and gas escaping from the volcano as the air is so moisture laden.

Edited by Viking141