Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar and Aurora Activity Chat

shuggee

Posted

There's a Shropshire aurora shield as well as a storm and snow one!!!!!!!!! It was crystal clear, I went out about 10 times including to a field away from the lights and with a clear N horizon. Zilch. And it was seen south of here in Hereford.

Posted

Nothing here, as there has never been, and never will be, simply too much light pollution to the north, plus it's a little cloudy that way.  To see an Aurora here, it would take the strongest Aurora in history, and a black out of Liverpool. These things just don't happen here!

Paulo of UKWeatherworld, who is also from Heswall saw it.

Posted

Some incredible pictures all over facebook from Essex,Suffolk and Norfolk of this display last night and even in SE Essex I saw greens and reds.

On facebook put in the names into the search bar

Peter Scott

Chris Bell

James Banham

Steve Lansdell

Lewis Blythe

I even got that oh so rare shot on the same latitude as London, chuffed to bits!

post-24-0-04950500-1393573075_thumb.jpg - SE Essex Coastline at 10.10pm last night

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
FANTASTIC AURORA 
Taken by Alan C Tough on February 27, 2014 @ Hopeman, Moray, Scotland Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

SUBSIDING STORM: A geomagnetic storm that started on Feb. 27th when a CME sideswiped Earth's magnetic field is subsiding. At its peak, the storm measured G2 on NOAA storm scales and sparked bright auroras over northern Europe, Greenland and Iceland. Tryggvi Már Gunnarsson was driving out of Reykjavik when he saw the display:

Posted Image

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

There's a Shropshire aurora shield as well as a storm and snow one!!!!!!!!! It was crystal clear, I went out about 10 times including to a field away from the lights and with a clear N horizon. Zilch. And it was seen south of here in Hereford.

I wish I had got my backside up the Long Mynd now! Surely would have seen something up there??

Posted

I have my own suspicions that there was two aurora 'curtains' going on yesterday eve, one to the far north over the Faeroe Islands which many in Northumbria and Scotland saw aswell as a diffuse one pretty much over Manchester which underneath would have looked similar to very faint airglow, but allowed those in Wales, Midlands, and the South to see using long-exposure photography.

Posted

I have my own suspicions that there was two aurora 'curtains' going on yesterday eve, one to the far north over the Faeroe Islands which many in Northumbria and Scotland saw aswell as a diffuse one pretty much over Manchester which underneath would have looked similar to very faint airglow, but allowed those in Wales, Midlands, and the South to see using long-exposure photography.

If it was only as bright as airglow, nobody would have seen it. Airglow needs a Bortle 1 or 2 sky to see which nowhere in the UK has. Looking at the aurora reports, there is a very noticeable "hole" over the N and E Midlands into southern parts of Lancs and Yorks: it was reported at Preston, Cambridgeshire and Hereford but nowhere in between. 

I have never seen anywhere in Britain zodiacal light, airglow or gegenschein, and have never seen M33 without binoculars.

• Like 1

Posted

Caught this pic of the Aurora from last night, looking north from Buxton with Ladder Hill (the mast), and Glossop town in the far distance. Where I live is 6 miles away to the left, but still I didn't see anything which is a shame as i'd otherwise have a pollution-free sky looking in the NE direction.

50/50 chance of another Geomagnetic impact for tonight, so will keep an eye out.

post-8763-0-53545800-1393594832_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Posted

Nice shot S.J, I sat up Ringing Low until 1am with crystal clear sky's, and saw sweet bugger all !

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Peak time looked to have been between 5pm and 6pm for those who saw the lights south of the Scottish Borders, pretty much just a fleeting glimpse going off the combined timeframe and accounts. I've still got the summer to save up for a week's trip to Norway, book a cabin and hope the weather is forgiving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Plenty of great pics from the northern half of Ireland last night, while it rained in the south!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057119661&page=4

• Like 5

Posted

So far, it doesn't look as if there will be anything to spot tonight, sadly.

I saw the pics on the wales news better than stargazing live,with that bank of bright reds and then greens,but how far south they seen I`m not sure.

Posted

I think that may have been footage from last night. There's nothing nearer than northern Norway so far tonight, according to spaceweather.com.

Posted

I think that may have been footage from last night. There's nothing nearer than northern Norway so far tonight, according to spaceweather.com.

Yes it was last night and looks like,I really missed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26380585

They look along way to the north at Machynlleth,level with here.

Breacon beacons was a good display though and that's further south.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Posted

GROWING CHANCE OF FLARES: The face of the sun is peppered with spots. One of them in particular merits attention. AR1991 is rapidly growing, almost doubling its number of dark cores since yesterday. Click to observe the circled region's development:

Posted Image

AR1991 has a 'beta-gamma' magnetic field that harbors energy for M-class solar flares. The rapid evolution of the sunspot could destabilize the field, making an eruption more likely. NOAA forecasters estimate a 70% chance of M-class flares and a 30% chance of X-flares on March 2nd. http://www.spaceweather.com/

• Like 1

Posted

BLUE AURORAS: Northern Lights are usually green, and sometimes red. Those are the colors produced by oxygen when it is excited by electrons raining down from space. On Feb. 22nd, Micha Bäuml of Straumfjord, Norway, witnessed an appariton of aurora-blue:

Posted Image

Energetic particles striking ionized molecular nitrogen (N2+) at very high altitudes produces a cold azure glow of the type captured in Micha's photo. Why it overwhelmed the usual hues of oxygen on Feb 22nd is unknown. Auroras still have the capacity to surprise.

Any auroras tonight, blue or otherwise, will be a bit of a surprise. Geomagnetic conditions are quiet. NOAA forecasters estimate a scant 5% chance of polar geomagnetic storms on March 3rd. http://www.spaceweather.com/

• Like 2

Posted

Scotland could see Aurora tonight, and maybe even Northern England ..

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

• Like 1