Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Heard on the end of the news this morning that somewhere was experiencing snow for the first time since the 1920's(i think it said). Anyone know where it is? Thanks

Found it!

http://www.javno.com/en/world/clanak.php?id=60868

http://www.javno.com/video.php?rbr=4137&l=en

Wonder if it will get as much attention??No doubt it would if it had been a warming event?

Edited by drgl

Posted

Aye, coldest May/June for 20 years, and now the first snow in Bueno Airies in 89 years :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6286484.stm

Some folk get all the luck - At this rate I bet Egypt gets more snow next winter than we do :lol:

Posted
Aye, coldest May/June for 20 years, and now the first snow in Bueno Airies in 89 years :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6286484.stm

Some folk get all the luck - At this rate I bet Egypt gets more snow next winter than we do :lol:

Nice to see cold and snow making the headlines for a change.

Nice change!

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Johannesburg had snow a week or so ago, the first since 1981! Lucky them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=awNaI9yDGOnc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Indeed I have been watching it on the GFS runs, there has been a large high to the west of south America for about a week and depressions to the east have been drawing up some very cold southerlies over the last 5 days or so.

Posted

I wonder if the upcoming Northern Hemisphere winter is going to be a severe one! After the severe rain we've had i'm hoping we get some good snowfalls, but another part of me thinks - well... could we really handle it? and then all the side effects start to show!!

but the whole world is having some might scary weather as of late!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
I wonder if the upcoming Northern Hemisphere winter is going to be a severe one! After the severe rain we've had i'm hoping we get some good snowfalls, but another part of me thinks - well... could we really handle it? and then all the side effects start to show!!

but the whole world is having some might scary weather as of late!

Evening,

The hot Austrian summer seems to have come to end the last few days. Lots of cloud and showers in the mountains and temperatures down to single figures. Just have to wait for the first snowfalls and dream of night ski-ing and drinking at the schnapps bar.

C

post-3489-1188669192_thumb.jpg

Posted
Evening,

The hot Austrian summer seems to have come to end the last few days. Lots of cloud and showers in the mountains and temperatures down to single figures. Just have to wait for the first snowfalls and dream of night ski-ing and drinking at the schnapps bar.

C

Snowfall arrived late yesterday. Snow level 1500m. Snow depth 20cm at 2200m. Cold pocket over the Eastern Alps at the moment with a NEly.

C

Posted
Snowfall arrived late yesterday. Snow level 1500m. Snow depth 20cm at 2200m. Cold pocket over the Eastern Alps at the moment with a NEly.

C

Snow lying in the pastures.

C

post-3489-1189005578_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
Snow lying in the pastures.

C

Hi Corinthian.

Is this early for snow at that altitude and time of year or about right?

Doesn't seem like last week there were extremely high temperatures in Europe.

Andy

Posted
Hi Corinthian.

Is this early for snow at that altitude and time of year or about right?

Doesn't seem like last week there were extremely high temperatures in Europe.

Andy

hi Andy,

Snowfall in the Alps can occur at any time of the year above 1500m as a guide line. The present cold outbreak over my part of the Alps orginated from a polar source. It looks like being a temporary feature with warmer air replacing it from the NW. Because there is still a bit of strength in the sunshine the snow level varies between 1200 - 2000m. 20 cm of lying snow at 2000m is not bad for the start of Autumn, so I would say the arrival of that depth of snowfall is a bit earlier than usual.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
hi Andy,

Snowfall in the Alps can occur at any time of the year above 1500m as a guide line. The present cold outbreak over my part of the Alps orginated from a polar source. It looks like being a temporary feature with warmer air replacing it from the NW. Because there is still a bit of strength in the sunshine the snow level varies between 1200 - 2000m. 20 cm of lying snow at 2000m is not bad for the start of Autumn, so I would say the arrival of that depth of snowfall is a bit earlier than usual.

C

Thanks C.

Must be lovely to see. We have been snow starved here for many years. Whenever it has snowed round here it's gone the next day. We managed to have enough to make a snow man eighteen months ago. Prior to that, we had to go 'oop north' to find some on New Years Eve which we had great fun with at ten at night. I envy you your night-time skiing and apres-ski Apfelschnaps.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Snow falling over in the Dolomites too - some chilly temps compared to a few weeks ago.

Webcam

Posted
Thanks C.

Must be lovely to see. We have been snow starved here for many years. Whenever it has snowed round here it's gone the next day. We managed to have enough to make a snow man eighteen months ago. Prior to that, we had to go 'oop north' to find some on New Years Eve which we had great fun with at ten at night. I envy you your night-time skiing and apres-ski Apfelschnaps.

Andy

Morning all,

Blizzards on the Alpine Pass to Gross Glocker. Car park is at about 2100m. Cold wind today. Snow level expected to rise to 2000m by weekend.

C

post-3489-1189072387_thumb.jpg

Posted

Afternoon,

Snow level now rising to around 1800m. The chapel in the picture is 2050m asl. Thats Gross Glockner still blizzard bound in the background.

C

post-3489-1189085775_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Afternoon,

Snow level now rising to around 1800m. The chapel in the picture is 2050m asl. Thats Gross Glockner still blizzard bound in the background.

C

A lot of Europe is fairly cool it would seem and with the proposed set up from the Atlantic there are no signs of it warming up either. Great no awful anomalous warmth to get rid of. Nice pictures C. Ski'd/holidayed in Kitzbuhel, Soll and St Anton so far....where next?

BFTP

Posted
A lot of Europe is fairly cool it would seem and with the proposed set up from the Atlantic there are no signs of it warming up either. Great no awful anomalous warmth to get rid of. Nice pictures C. Ski'd/holidayed in Kitzbuhel, Soll and St Anton so far....where next?

BFTP

Hi Blast..

Yes the block out to the west is good for cooler conditions for the start of Autumn in the Alpine Regions. Why not try Katschberg, my second home village. 1700M asl, ski-in &ski out. I do notice Neilson Ski Holidays now feature this wonderful village on its web and winter 07/08 ski-ing broucher.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Hi Blast..

Yes the block out to the west is good for cooler conditions for the start of Autumn in the Alpine Regions. Why not try Katschberg, my second home village. 1700M asl, ski-in &ski out. I do notice Neilson Ski Holidays now feature this wonderful village on its web and winter 07/08 ski-ing broucher.

C

I found St Anton fairly tough skiing but coped very well with the other two. What is Katschberg like...I am intermediate and avoid black runs if possible.

BFTP

Posted
I found St Anton fairly tough skiing but coped very well with the other two. What is Katschberg like...I am intermediate and avoid black runs if possible.

BFTP

Most runs are red and blue...Piste maps and resort info can be found on www.katschi.at

but transale to english version

C

Posted

Afternoon,

Ski-runs pisted this afternoon on the Moelltaler glacier at 3000m. Will give it a run at weekend if the visibilty remains good. Should turn colder by then as well.

C

Afternoon,

Ski-runs pisted this afternoon on the Moelltaler glacier at 3000m. Will give it a run at weekend if the visibilty remains good. Should turn colder by then as well.

C

post-3489-1189434100_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow
Afternoon,

C

i'm not jealous - well not much

I do hope its a good snowy winter in alps especially round corvara, italy