Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Confirmed Tornado E Sussex 15.07.07

Posted
Anyone know the distance from Winchelsea to just South of Canterbury??

Paul Sherman

30ish miles I'd roughly guess.

The wind strength when the rain and medium hail arrived last night was not something I've experienced during a t-storm before.

Edited by Kent Snow

Posted
Paul Sherman it wasn't just south of canterbury it went as far as herne !

No it did not, remember I was chasing near to Herne Bay last night and that cell certainly was NOT Supercellular, have seen 36 of the things so you kind of get a feeling when you look at it, also the radar does not support this either, I know you want it to be Neil but I can assure you it was a Brief Supercell before evolving into an MCS As most in the States do as well.

Paul S

Posted

Paul, as the crow flies, from the sea at Winchelsea to the outskirts of Canterbury its 28 miles according to Autoroute.

Posted

Thanks guys for the distance, dont know and probably wont know if the Tornado was on the ground for that lenght, but a sighting near Winchelsea and a debris cloud just south of Canterbury makes this an interesting one, the shape of the storm fell apart over or near canterbury as a lot more CINH Was present the further North you went, this storm evolved into an MCS Before dying out in the Southern North Sea

Paul S

Posted

Have just changed the topic title for this as TORRO Have performed a site investigation and a Confirmed T2 Tornado took place at 830-845pm On Sunday 15th July 2007.

Waterspout hit Hastings Pier at 830pm ripping up planks and throwing sea water onto the Pier, then moved onshore to Fairlight, some Tornadic Damage to trees, laid down to the North, track was then North East onto Pett Level where the Smugglers Inn Pub on the coast has a damaged roof.

Time :- 830 - 840pm

Track :- 4 miles

Width :- About 100 metres Wide

Paul Sherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

Interesting read from Tamara, thanks for yours and others accounts of the MCS. Sounds fantastic. Reminds me of the tornado that ripped through Haverhill in early June. Trees being thrown violently/rapidly side to side, debriet being thrown all over the places. Very scary though, sounds like a train heading for your house. Pleased you experienced such freak weather, and pleased your safe.

Mammatus

Edited by Mammatus

Posted

For some reason I can't edit any of my posts :)

I need to point out that my timings in my lengthy post on Page 2 are an hour out...it should start from one hour later at 1950...it seems that my computer is misreading the date and time stamp whereas the metadata from the camera gives the correct time...apologies

Thanks for passing on the info Paul - that must've been quite a sight seeing a waterspout having a go at Hastings Pier!

Posted

1st pictures coming through from the Tornado in East Sussex and Golfball Hailstones

All pictures acredited to "Jane" from Fairlight

post-24-1184621518_thumb.jpg

post-24-1184621535_thumb.jpg

post-24-1184621556_thumb.jpg

Paul Sherman

Pretty conclusive Tornado Damage there!!

Posted
1st pictures coming through from the Tornado in East Sussex and Golfball Hailstones

post-24-1184621518_thumb.jpg

post-24-1184621535_thumb.jpg

post-24-1184621556_thumb.jpg

Paul Sherman

Pretty conclusive Tornado Damage there!!

Hi Everyone,

fantastic storm, best i have ever seen, I live in st leonards near hastings ( about a 1/2 mile from the pier ) the tree outside our house had the top wrenched out of it, This coincided with some visible rotation and swirling in the clouds just as the squall front passed over and just preceding the hail, approx 12mm diameter and lightning strike 25 M away.

regards

Nigel

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

WOW.........

Posted

While others ran indoors to brave the storm i was under this throughout the action!

DSC00379.jpg

:pardon:

Posted
Hardly a Farraday cage is it?

:lol:

Does the job though :pardon:

Posted

Just found this on TORRO's webpage. It's an application form for prospective tornado site investigators. Feel free to apply if you are really interested: -

http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/research/siteinvestigation.php

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted
The THING is when a storm like that hits you think afterwards that no-one else saw the same thing...or you may have somehow overreacted to it. Instinct told me the moment I saw that black low wall cloud roaring towards me that there 'could' be a tornado coming right up my own garden.

Tbh I was suddenly terrified in that instinctive knowledge as i ran for cover indoors and following the surreal advance and build up of the storm

Every bit of info I read today reinforces all the above even more *shiver*

Thanks for the confirmation and info tonight Paul

Tamara

*TUTS* Nobody ever taught you the practical uses of cuffs and stuff?? ;) :lol:

Does the job though :pardon:

Why.. ? You that bad that there's chicken wire to pen you in?? :lol:

Just found this on TORRO's webpage. It's an application form for prospective tornado site investigators. Feel free to apply if you are really interested: -

http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/research/siteinvestigation.php

Sent off my app a couple of days ago.. Worth doing if you can spare the time.

Posted

Omg - some power to uplift a tree like that :pardon:

Good pics

Posted

Its not really that bad. Trees in full leaf and with a sodden soil, will fall fairly easily..

Good photos BTW..

Posted

Confirmed Tops on this now what looks like a HP Supercell of up to 43,000 Feet

If you watch the Video below, A viewer has sent in a Video Clip which clearly shows what looks like a HP Supercell with amazing Anvil Striations.

http://www.itvlocal.com/meridian/news/?pla...&void=80951

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Excellent video footage, most definately was a supercell looking at it, clearly well defined circular banding towards the cloud base. If it wasn't for the nissan sunny and the localspar shop you'd have thought you were in the great plains somewhere! :D

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
Confirmed Tops on this now what looks like a HP Supercell of up to 43,000 Feet

If you watch the Video below, A viewer has sent in a Video Clip which clearly shows what looks like a HP Supercell with amazing Anvil Striations.

http://www.itvlocal.com/meridian/news/?pla...&void=80951

Paul S

All I saw was one hail stone and then someone being kicked in on a bus. :D:D

Posted

Good afternoon all

just watched the footage of the "Tornado like" conditions, what makes me laugh so much these days is how not only is our weather dramatic but how the news reporting is equally dramatic. so much so i was on the edge of me office chair watching this report. i could almost feel the tension of the locals as they described the conditions in an almost american way, however it is becomming more evident that due to the public news reporting using mobile phones and video cameras that we are now seeing what is really happening around us, i dont think however that the weather is anymore dramatic as its ever been its just a case that its better covered by the public. back in the 90's we had a similar ice/hailstorm with golf ball sized items but it never got further than the local press due to the fact that technology used to day was in its infancy.

i welcome this form of reporting now its so riviting in the sense that we too get american type weather. i say bring it all on get ya cameras out and get amongst natures fury its fansinating.

LO

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Hi everyone,my mothers house is in Fairlight,and after returning from work abroad,i was amazed at the devastation there,a clear swathe through the heart of the village,power cables down,and much structural damage to buildings,trees twisted by the vortex.

Cars have been severly damaged or written off by the golfball sized hail.

i have posted a detailed report on the metmonkey forum,and will try and report more on events when im a little calmer and less upset at events on Sunday night.

a friend who is a Torro member has done a site investigation,and after speaking with them on his findings,they think it was an F3

Posted

Are you sure about F3 Sunni, that would make it a T6 & One of the strongest Tornadoes in the last century, even stronger than the Wedge that hit Birmingham, reports from Torro I have heard are of T2 To T3 Max ??

Paul S

Posted
Are you sure about F3 Sunni, that would make it a T6 & One of the strongest Tornadoes in the last century, even stronger than the Wedge that hit Birmingham, reports from Torro I have heard are of T2 To T3 Max ??

Paul S

Hi Paul,im realy only repeating what i heard from a reliable source,the borough meteorologist for Hastings, David Powell,told me that the damage as he investigated yesterday,and then reported to TORRO,Sounded like F3 according to whoever he spoke to at TORRO

Posted

But the same David Powell also spoke to Tony Gilbert and said he was certain it was a T2 Possibly T3, You sure you are not getting your T's & F's crossed Mate.

Scale

T10 = F5

T8 = F4

T6 = F3

T4 = F2

T2 = F1

T0 = F0

Thats the scale

Paul S

F3 Severe tornado

158-206 mph

Roof and some walls torn off well constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forests uprooted