Cold?

Wetter than average?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Wetter than Average?

• Wetter
    • Drier
    • Same

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A little early, however at this stage i would go for 17.2C, which is 1C above average, my range this month is 15.7C-17.2C, so i may reduce my prediction closer to the time.

The average for August is 16.2C.

The hottest August on record was August 1995, which had a CET of 19.2C, 3C above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

I think a below August is likely, plunging us into an early Autumn. 15.0c for me!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I'll go for 16.5C as it's very rare to get two below average months on the trot these years.

Posted

Good grief thisis early. I think I'll wait and see how low July ends up, before I have a punt on August.

I will just say though, that anybody hoping the synoptic's will simply slot into place, and summer weather will suddenly arrive, could well be disappointed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Too early for this kind of thread - any predictions will be educated/pure guesswork at this point.

But I do expect a warmer August and an end to the current vile pattern at long last. Again guesswork though.

Posted
Post your August 2007 CET predictions here!

This thread is rather like a dutch auction. Is it just me or is there an unofficial competition to see who can open the thread first? It gets earlier each month. Reminds me of when I was a kid and magazines and comics started bearing a date increasingly in arrears of when they hit the shop shelves.

Posted

A little early for me to make a punt. I would like to think it will be above average and drier due to the fact that I'm holidaying in Corwall for 2 weeks from the 10th August! I have no idea at this stage though.

:D

Posted

I go for a nice 24 if we are lucky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
Post your August 2007 CET predictions here!

I can't even get this month's right.........give me a god damn chance!!!!

BFTP

Posted
August will be absolutely scorching. I'll probably go for something over 20C, but am biding my time.

No offence West, but I hope you are as right about that as you were about summer starting on Thursday 28th June :)

Any clue as to why you think this?

Posted
Any clue as to why you think this?

1. If I keep stating it, it's bound to happen sooner or later :)

2. British weather is so contrary it would be absolutely the order to have a month without any rain at all (don't forget April was like this)

3. We're overdue a baking August

4. Some parts of the NH have been very very hot, so why not our turn?

5. I actually do think the synoptics favour a high pressure build, though please note point 1! I'm about as reliable at summer weather at the moment as David Cameron is at selecting a good by-election candidate

Edited by West is Best

Posted
3. We're overdue a baking August

Yes I agree here, it has been a very disappointing summer month this decade (the incredible 2003 excepted). I think it'll probably be THE summer month this year, despite an odd viewpoint by many people up here that August is an autumn month!

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a sunny and dry month, but a CET of 20C, probably meaning a Scotland temp of 15.5C+? Yeeeuch!

Posted

I can't see anything like an outstandingly hot month The overall pattern that has delivered us this unsettled May-July period looks pretty stable to me. I can't see any fundamental changes to the pattern taking place, and I think the southerly tracking jet, and frequent low pressure systems flattening what ridges do build is pretty well set. That said, we *may* see more ridges than in July, and thats why I'm holding off giving a CET prediction for the mo.

Guest Mike W

With no.4 WIB, you can say that about Summer, but the rule never has worked since the Winter of 95/96. I mean Russia had it's coldest winter since 1947 in 05/06 witner,we neevr got it, but we get their heat though. Corrupt. <_<

Posted
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border
  • Location: From North Wales but now in England on the Notts border

Put me down for 17.1 please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

18.1 for me, I can see a far warmer, and drier August than July. (mind you I could probably imagine a lot drier and warmer May in all honesty)

Posted

WiB, whilst I agree that we will almost certainly will see a 20C+ August at some point I very much it will be this one. I just think we would need an above average July to see a record breaking August.

Over the whole CET record:

Average CET of Augusts that have followed a below average July=15.4C

Average CET of Augusts that have followed an above average July=16.3C

Over the last 30 years:

Average CET of Augusts that have followed a below average July=16.0C

Average CET of Augusts that have followed an above average July=17.0C

On the basis of that I am going for 16C which will no doubt be wrong because on average I usually am.