Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flood damage reports.

Posted

Please post reports here.

This is intended as a reporting area as you would see in the press. Imagine that you are a reporter for your immediate area.. Please give accounts and if you want a couple or so photos. Please also post any flood relief numbers and local help centre addresses/phone numbers.

We in South Yorkshire have found that details like this have made for smooth running of getting the help not only to where it is needed but also where it is possible to get help to. This will be a real community spirit thing and you'll be surprised at how many friends you do have..

Thanks

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

Warnings of bursting Rivers banks in Tenbury Wells / Worcestershire will produce the highest risk of flooding tommorow , greater than ever before.

Please avoid this area if you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Not to bad here in churchdown.

Garden has 1/2 foot of water. a few houses flooded, but no streams to really make things worse.

Longlevens in gloucester has been hit bad in places.

All roads to churchdown were closed at around 8Pm, but one or 2 become passable shortly after.

Golden velly is just a river, So thats bad.

Cheltenham has been hit as bad as central gloucester , some major house flooding.

Whats scary is almost all these places are/were 100% no chance of flooding.

The drainage systems couldn't cope, Overflow to the streets and then gardens that in turn could no longer soak away.

ALL

Telewest / Virgin media services in the cotsworld area are down. Im assuming one of their main nodes is swimming.

BT adsl seems ok here.. ( Evidently .. hehe 2 meg adsl backup )

Posted

The Crow Inn, in Tenbury is reporting the river reaching up to the sign on the side of the building.

4am peak is due, also the Theme has now broken out Shropshire area

Posted

Update

Now 24 hours of rain in Mid Wales , still raining outside.

1000 + cars on M5 motorway all stationary for 6 hours now , some people are stuck with babies without food or water. Very serious situation developing.

Also 1 person presumed missing in river , RAF are trying to find them but havent for hours now.

Posted

Just been out to survey what has happened in the worcester area. The dual carriageway from Kidderminster to Worcester (A449) was closed by police due to flooding we tried to get to worcester along the smaller roads but all of these were blocked by floods so rejoined the A449 at Ombersley and I have never seen a sight like it, around 70-100 cars abandoned along the road, thankfully the floods had started to drain so decided to plough through as close to the offside edge as possible as I could see the top of the kerb.

Went through to worcester and the racecourse and cricket ground are under water, we then went through the city and power was out in several places but we really wasn't expecting what we saw when we reached the M5 J7, cars were abandoned everywhere, and vehicles parked on the road round the junction, we went northbound which was clear, but southbound was stationary, a lot of vehicles had nobody in them, and nearly all the vehicles were in darkness, it was a very earie sight and it was amazing to think those cars had been there probably since this afternoon.

On the way back we tried several roads but all these were flodded so had to go to J4 on the M5 and back from the north side of Kidderminster.

Posted

Evacuation ongoing in Tenbury Wells

Also 1 person presumed missing in river , RAF are trying to find them but havent for hours now.

think this may have been a false alarm, not 100% sure though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Cheltenham pretty badly hit, if anyone's interested I'm just about to upload some pics onto facebook - it's just easier as I can upload everything at once faster. I'll show you the link when they're up. The unbelievable thing was that our flood defenses - those meant to cope with a 1 in 400 year flood - overflowed and caused chaos for the people living next to it and the A40! Also unbelievable pics of the Golden Valley from the BBC Gloucs site showing it under several inches of water. I should think we got at least 100mm rain, and 115mm at Brize Norton sounds about right; it's about 20mi from here. The River Severn'll be bad because there was a lot of rain in that area and it's all coming down from the North and everywhere which was raining into the night! ...So I'll be out to inspect that later.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Pershore has severe flooding, speaking to people who have lived here 60 years and they have never seen flooding as bad as it is now. The main road out of the town towards Evesham is under a couple of metres of water with people suggesting that the bridge has been totally washed away - obviously I can't confirm this. I was woken by a sea king rescue helicopter outside my window overnight and this morning (yes the water really is very close to my house, but far enough away for me to be reasonably confident of staying dry), so it does sound as if people have required some assistance.

Rest Centres have been set up in both Pershore and Evesham Leisure Centres for those unable to stay in their homes or for motorists who are stranded.

Some photos from this morning:

The Main Road into/out of town complete with RNLI rescue boat

post-2-1185002050_thumb.jpg

The Local football club

post-2-1185002110_thumb.jpg

Flooded riverside homes

post-2-1185002129_thumb.jpg

The General scene around the area

post-2-1185002168_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Sounds like there have been multiple rescues near you Paul, two rescued from the river Avon near Evesham this morning on the news, apparently a caravan was seen floating down the river at the time!

Quite eerie hearing the sirens in Horncastle, Lincs, on the news, reminds me of the tornado sirens we heard in Kansas.

Posted

Yes, was a freaky moment hearing sirens from the town centre and the helicopter overnight and not quite knowing how close the water was - this was at about 4am. Managed to get a pic of the rescue helicopter at about 6.30am, it was very close by. There is a caravan park not far from here, which is flooded so that may tie in with the reports you've heard - a lot of holiday makers spent the night in the co-op carpark in the town centre in their caravans.

post-2-1185006034_thumb.jpg

Edit - Just to add the helicopter is back out again so perhaps more people in trouble. Rain has continued to fall all morning, this is now getting heavier also.

Posted

A caravan/mobile home park in the centre of Evesham is completely underwater (some van on their side, others almost completely submerged); debris washed into the Workman Bridge; many people trapped in riverside properties.

Some photos here: http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...c=39483&hl=

It's likely to get worse as the Avon continues to rise ...

Posted

Both bridges over the Avon in Evesham are closed - with water now close to coming over the top of one of them (also reported to have suffered damage which may lead to it collapsing!). There is a lot of debris - from picnic tables to sheds to boats to mobile homes - sweeping down the river into the bridges. Effectively the town is cut in half with only one road out of this side of town - and complete gridlock on it because traffic has been coming into town only to find it can;t get through and has to burn back ...

Most shops in town are closed.

It's still raining ....

Posted

Just back from another look round pershore, similar situation to evesham, the bridge on the main road through the town is totally submerged with a strong likelyhood that it has gone. Water has risen about a foot since this morning with buildings up the main street now being sandbagged, most shops are shut, the petrol station is running low on fuel and it is still raining, not a good situation at all.

Posted

Gordon Brown is due to make a statement on the floods, there has been an emergency meeting this morning by the Government as many services are saying they cannot cope with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

We drove out to Tewkesbury this morning to see the floods and there were many abandoned cars,lots of people taking photos,fire engines and police.The town center closed off due to the river banks bursting.

A helicopter was hovering around tewkesbury took a photo of it.One old lady said in all the 50 years she has lived there,she has never witnessed floods this bad.

Here are some photos:

Jane

Posted

My dad's been on the phone to my aunt Rhoda who lives in Evesham. Apparently, they were up all night watching for the flood waters and it got up to the steps near her front door. Fortunately, the water hasn't progressed higher since the early morning and she lives in a pretty low part of Evesham too....with no sand bangs available for protection. She is in her eighties, mostly bed-ridden and quite large so I'm concerned for her.

Posted

good pics jane...to risky for me to drive over there

Essan I hear that there are children trapped in a school your way..any update

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Great pics Jane!

Looks pretty severe down there. I visited Tirley and Apperley this morning on my bike to see how bad the floods were. I was going to go over to Tewkesbury but there wasn't time and I thought more people will go there and take pictures than to Tirley!

Well a large expanse of fields and countryside was flooded and there were a couple of houses flooded on the A4019 around the Uckington/Knightsbridge area (on the way). The worst flooding was off the side just approaching the M5 turnoff on that road, where it seemed that many houses in the area were flooded (I'll check the map and find out where).

EDIT: Here's where and I've circled the worst flooded bit:

post-2951-1185032530_thumb.png

It looks as though the flood waters had receded in Tirley but it must've been bad; foul-smelling silt was coating the road and subsequently covered me and my bike! A pretty miserable ride to be honest - icky weather and it was drizzling heavily / moderate rain most of the way.

I had a quick look at the River Chelt on PE way on the way back and it has receded A LOT since yesterday - when I looked yesterday it was about 1-2ft from road level. Now, it's receded about 5-6ft... almost back to the stream it always used to be!

I did take some pictures, i'll upload later.

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hi folks. Hope everyone is ok . Its been touch and go with us at our house living by the Isbourne and Avon the water is starting to recede. The nightmare will slowly unfold as those flood waters dissapear, probably leaving untold damage across a wide area. We just about escaped the floods but the houses opposite are flooded.The Isbourne bridge as also recieved serious structial damage with my nieghbour saying that all the railings have gone on one side along with a pillar support and the path has been washed away with a likely hole in the center of the bridge. :huh: I know this rain was expected but this damage seems to be unreal. My thoughts go out to anyone caught up in this nasty weather.

Posted

Here are some pictures I took of yesterday's floods:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95346693@N00/...57600937975327/

Posted
good pics jane...to risky for me to drive over there

Essan I hear that there are children trapped in a school your way..any update

I've not heard any more on that though I understand they were trapped but not in any immediate danger

Further set of pictures just about to be added to the gallery.

There is good film footage on both BBC News 24 and Sky News