Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flood damage reports.

Posted

From what I can see the water problem could go on for a few days.

So, with more rainfall forecast, those who have the means, I would suggest collecting rainwater for cooking and washing, its safe to use for cooking if collected in clean containers. Pass the water through a fine cloth, muslin preferably before use, to remove any fine debris. The act of boiling while cooking will kill any bacteria present. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about drinking fresh rainwater as its technically sterile until it touches the ground, but that's up to the individual. Else wise, is always coffee and tea.

A little bit of inventiveness with a rain mac, some string, a few pots and pans while its raining and you could have enough water for a day or two for the cooking and basic washing.

Washing in rainwater is fine, the ladies I am sure will love it as it will make their hair softer for sure! Just go easy on the soap else the bubbles will be everywhere :(

Otherwise, I have included a small word doc on water sterilisation in this post, it was distributed when the Tsunami hit in the Far East, read well before using any techniques, especially when using chemical sterilisers please.EmergencyDrinkingWater.doc

Edited by SnowBear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
From what I can see the water problem could go on for a few days.

So, with more rainfall forecast, those who have the means, I would suggest collecting rainwater for cooking and washing, its safe to use for cooking if collected in clean containers. Pass the water through a fine cloth, muslin preferably before use, to remove any fine debris. The act of boiling while cooking will kill any bacteria present. I personally wouldn't have any qualms about drinking fresh rainwater as its technically sterile until it touches the ground, but that's up to the individual. Else wise, is always coffee and tea.

A little bit of inventiveness with a rain mac, some string, a few pots and pans while its raining and you could have enough water for a day or two for the cooking and basic washing.

Washing in rainwater is fine, the ladies I am sure will love it as it will make their hair softer for sure! Just go easy on the soap else the bubbles will be everywhere :(

Otherwise, I have included a small word doc on water sterilisation in this post, it was distributed when the Tsunami hit in the Far East, read well before using any techniques, especially when using chemical sterilisers please.EmergencyDrinkingWater.doc

Thanks for the advice.We have a water butt in the garden full of rain water.

Posted

Im wondering about the flushing of the toilet...not joking

latest here is lizzy way area water pressure falling in taps

manic in Morrisons for water/pop

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Any water will do that dogs32, pond water, river water. Water not good enough to use for washing or cooking. Get one of those muck buckets, fill it from a stream or such.

If your sewers are flooded though, do not flush until the water in the manhole outside your house is empty of water.

A tip I saw somewhere on the net for Australian water saving was this...

If its brown, flush it down

If its yellow, let it mellow

Yep, it might be yucky leaving it if ya been for a pee, but, this are extra special circumstances, so following that rule wont hurt, just keep the window of the loo open, use air freshener, and hopefully you all go for a brown one once a day so it wont be there for long :o

Posted

yes snowbear..(lol)...could be for 3 days who knows...Im worried about having my coffee than a ####...

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Ahhh, use clean rainwater for that coffee dogs32 :o

Ya know what is bugging me?

On the news, they are saying oh woe, so and so is flooding, such and such water supplies are down, no water to taps, yet, no damn advice on using the water that is around, how to sterilise it, make use of what is available, basic survival techniques.

eg: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/glouces...ire/6910559.stm

Not one word on how to use rainwater, or things like the loo etc.

Amazing really.

Just to add: My grandparents always cooked with rainwater, never hurt me nor anyone else who ate the food. In truth, was probably better than what came from the tap!

Edited by SnowBear

Posted

M50/M5 might be closed later again

river severn still rising

Sky news say summer is over preditions of JET STREAM wont move north

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Just heard on news 24 that oxford is starting to flood.
M50/M5 might be closed later again

river severn still rising

The water is still moving down the rivers to the sea, it is surprising how long it takes.

Our River the Yar is only about 15 miles long. yet it does not reach its peak till the day after heavy rain.

Regards.

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

yea rusty they say M5/M50 might flood today again...lots of water comming from Welsh hills....Tewksbury water still rising I beleive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
yea rusty they say M5/M50 might flood today again...lots of water comming from Welsh hills....Tewksbury water still rising I beleive

The further near to the sea the water peak in the river gets the slower it moves, as is the nature of rivers. Also the nearer to sea Laval more influenced by the tides. The crucial point for this is when the peak of the flood reaches the tidal river. Then the full meaning of the word floodplain can be realized if the floods meats a high tide, as the water backs up.

It happens in miniature outside my house most years(say 3 out of 5) as the fiver floods over the marshland in front of my house.

The addition of wind to the equation is another risk, the Severn for instance faces the prevailing wind more or less, the stronger the wind the further up the tide goes.

Basically everybody better hope this low from the SW for Monday, tracks down over my neck of the woods or even further South, if it does not then it could make a very bad situation out of things.

Regards,

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Posted

there saying this could be realy bad without water/fire services ect....

A will food be effected

evacuating parts of Worcester

Severn about to burst big time

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder

The Government need a kick up the rear I think, local authorities were warned on tuesday, but what did they do with flood barriers, wait until Friday afternoon then get stuck in traffic trying to move them. too late.

I understand about boiling the rainwater, but be careful best to get rain water from places it has collected away from contamination

Posted

doesnt look good.....They mentioned food running out in some places...what with no water soon....Ive filled the bath up but that wont last forever....

This realy bad havent had anything like this before NEVER

Edited by dogs32

Posted

news24 reporting that the River Severn is less than 30cms from breaching...take care all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D
there battling to save a sub station in gloucestershire....electricty..

Yes! I just heard that...I hope we don't get power cuts too,this is getting so worrying :) Is your water still on dogs?

Posted
Around 450 homes are to have their electricity turned off this hour in Tewksbury according to BBC radio.

No water and no electricity. That kind of sucks.

:)

Posted

May I suggest that those of you suffering near each other swap phone/mobile numbers? You might be able to keep in contact a bit more once the eleccy goes out then? You need to support each other. Says she close to tears and isn't even affected :)

Posted
May I suggest that those of you suffering near each other swap phone/mobile numbers? You might be able to keep in contact a bit more once the eleccy goes out then? You need to support each other. Says she close to tears and isn't even affected :)

One mercy is that Monday's rain shouldn't really exarcebate the problem...its just a matter of getting over the worst before it gradually gets better on Monday night.

Posted
One mercy is that Monday's rain shouldn't really exarcebate the problem...its just a matter of getting over the worst before it gradually gets better on Monday night.

I think actually the real HUGE mercy is that its not the middle of bloody winter!!!!!