Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Match of the season -- my LRF according to football commentators

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

No, sadly goals scored in the warm-up don't count ... the game is now underway for real ... I will post a few bits of running commentary as the season proceeds ... right now, it's like this ...

Well, the match we've all been waiting for is underway, Satsigs United moving the anomaly around quite easily, they're building up quite a bit of pressure, Winterborough tries to counter with a fierce hail storm in the corner, but that fizzles out, now they're bringing as many back as they can to defend, supporters are looking grim as one of the board members was quoted in NW as saying no chance for cold in this first thirty-one days, Fred still looking optimistic, waiting at centre for someone to feed him the polar jet.

(by the way, here's my real winter LRF ...

December quite mild and occasionally stormy throughout the month, any cold or snow likely to be brief and confined to a day or two mid-month, warming up even further, to around 14-15 C, around Christmas to about the 28th, possibly turning sharply colder just at the end of the month. Have said 5.5 for CET but won't be too surprised if it's low sixes.

January a more variable month, with potential for one big blast of winter weather mid-month. Volatile blocking conditions near the North Pole would have to eddy around to just the right orientation to let this loose on Europe, as in 1987, but it does seem possible and I rate the chances as about 50-50. If this happens, it will drag the CET down below average into the 2s or 3s, because if the cold comes, it may be deep and sustained cold for 7-10 days with one or two big snowfall events. The first and last few days of the month are more likely to be mild though, so a balance will develop between extremes, the monthly CET of about 3.5 predicted here may not reflect any actual segment of the month. The new moon event around 6-8 may usher in the cold spell, and the northern max full moon events 20-23 Jan may be embedded in the cold spell and bring snow. If not, these would likely be windstorms of a WNW orientation. Unless these strong energy peaks hit a recombining jet, there is probably going to be a major wind event around this time.

February looks like turning much warmer than I expect January to be, or on the other hand, staying very mild if I have that wrong ... so look for a near-record February, possibly as warm as 7.5 C, with some individual days near 18 C also setting daily records. Reason -- any temporary blocking in January will soon reposition to eastern Europe and induce a southerly flow in western Europe.