Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Highest Temperature in the British Isles/UK this year.

Wales123098

Posted

Thanks ACB that is really interesting. The absence/presence of sunshine makes all the difference to a summer's day - it can change it from barely average to totally scorching, even if the shade temperature doesn't change. It's the heat you feel on your skin that makes a good summer's day!

Posted
Thanks ACB that is really interesting. The absence/presence of sunshine makes all the difference to a summer's day - it can change it from barely average to totally scorching, even if the shade temperature doesn't change. It's the heat you feel on your skin that makes a good summer's day!

This is a good point, it's nice that you can actually enjoy the summer sun in Europe.

Over here you can't enjoy the sun, try living under UV indices of 14 in December and January- it can ruin it! (In my sissy opinion anyway).

Posted
But given the Met Office stats, 2007 came nail-bitingly close to not making it over 30C!

I'm not saying that it's impossible to fail to reach 30C this year but it's hard to imagine a maximum below 29C in this day and age. I think the fact that 30C was still reached last year despite such a notably poor summer demonstrates this.

Posted
I'm not saying that it's impossible to fail to reach 30C this year but it's hard to imagine a maximum below 29C in this day and age. I think the fact that 30C was still reached last year despite such a notably poor summer demonstrates this.

Ah well it all depends upon whether you accept the one recording of 30c last year as valid. That reading was from the London Weather Centre which the Met Office classify as a 'non-standard site' i.e. its exposure does not meet the MO's own criteria (the recording instruments are located on an asphalt roof). Thus there is a strong argument for disregarding that reading in which case 2007 joins 1993 and 1981.

regards

ACB

Posted
Ah well it all depends upon whether you accept the one recording of 30c last year as valid. That reading was from the London Weather Centre which the Met Office classify as a 'non-standard site' i.e. its exposure does not meet the MO's own criteria (the recording instruments are located on an asphalt roof). Thus there is a strong argument for disregarding that reading in which case 2007 joins 1993 and 1981.

regards

ACB

I read on this site: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2007_weather.htm that 30.1C was reached at Terrington St. Clement in Norfolk on August 5th 2007, although I have no idea whether that is a standard site or not.

Posted
I read on this site: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley/2007_weather.htm that 30.1C was reached at Terrington St. Clement in Norfolk on August 5th 2007, although I have no idea whether that is a standard site or not.

Scorcher thanks for that. Having checked with the MO monthly summary you and Mr Harley are correct. Apologies.

Strangely Philip Eden records the mighest maximum as 29.7c at Coningsby and Holbeach whereas the BBC monthly summary (prepared by the MO) states (with irritating sloppiness) "London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby all recorded temperatures around 30 °C on 5th." and "It was hot, dry and sunny on the 5th with temperatures around 30 °C in London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby."

regards

ACB

Posted
Scorcher thanks for that. Having checked with the MO monthly summary you and Mr Harley are correct. Apologies.

Strangely Philip Eden records the mighest maximum as 29.7c at Coningsby and Holbeach whereas the BBC monthly summary (prepared by the MO) states (with irritating sloppiness) "London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby all recorded temperatures around 30 °C on 5th." and "It was hot, dry and sunny on the 5th with temperatures around 30 °C in London, Cambridge, Holbeach and Coningsby."

regards

ACB

It is all very confusing isn't it, the BBC summary is very vague but I suppose most of the general public don't feel the need for the exact statistics as us weather enthusiasts do. It's strange that I didn't hear about that 30.1C at the time but if the Met Office have confirmed it that's good enough for me.

Posted

We may not be a million miles away from 30C at some point as early as next week. Certainly some 25C's+ now looking odds on.

I think we'll probably top 35C this summer. I'll go for 38.5C on 03rd August.

Edited by La Nina

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.
We may not be a million miles away from 30C at some point as early as next week. Certainly some 25C's+ now looking odds on.

not if the ecm is right we wont....

• 1 month later...
Posted

Thought it timely to resurrect this particular thread in view of the projected very warm spell for middle of next week. Will 30 degrees be reached? I think the chances are quite high of this occuring in the SE on Thursday/Friday. However, I think this will be the maximum. What do others think with respect to how high temps could go next week? This isn't a ramping thread.

Posted

At the moment I think 30C may well be reached in the South by Thursday but at the moment I can't see the temp getting much higher than 30C. Still plenty of time for upgrades before Thursday though.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Average upper air temperature looks to be around 11C during this warm spell, translating to a maximum of 27.*C i believe.

Posted

The most promising day for 30C looks to be wednesday the moment, but I dont think we'll make it this time. Its quite likely that some unofficial station may make it, or some rooftop site does, in which case we'll all be arguing if 30C was actually reached - just like last year! :lol:

Posted

A 30c looks pretty unlikely to me during this spell, but I think we should just about manage to see the highest temp of the year so far at around 28.5c

Posted

I think 29 degrees will be reached on Thursday in central London and perhaps one or two other prone hotspots i.e. Heathrow, Wisley, Gravesend, the usual suspects. I also think Friday could see a similiar value in the SE, however, I will be surprised if the 30 degree figure is reached.

Posted
I think 29 degrees will be reached on Thursday in central London and perhaps one or two other prone hotspots i.e. Heathrow, Wisley, Gravesend, the usual suspects. I also think Friday could see a similiar value in the SE, however, I will be surprised if the 30 degree figure is reached.

My initial hunch is that Thursday will not see 29C, maybe 26-27C. Friday is looking like the hottest day this week, say 28-29C.

Incidentally, MO way out today with SE temps - forecasting 26C in London as late as this morning but only reaching 23C.

Edited by Nick H

Posted
My initial hunch is that Thursday will not see 29C, maybe 26-27C. Friday is looking like the hottest day this week, say 28-29C.

Incidentally, MO way out today with SE temps - forecasting 26C in London as late as this morning but only reaching 23C.

Yes and their 29c for Friday is looking equally if not even more inaccurate, at least as things currently stand.

3 or 4c adrift at T +72hrs is forgiveable, but not when within the 2-4hr range as was the case today.

All in all a pretty poor effort.

Edited by jemtom

• 1 month later...
Posted

So is 29.7c the highest temp this summer as last summer also made 29.7c in august, you would normally expect 30c to be reached somewhere but to get 2 summers in a row these days is different.

Last time it never reached 30c was in 1993 when once again 29.7c was the max in July and the last time that happened was in august 1981 at 29.5c, I thought summer of 1988 it only reached about 28c. :D

Posted

Snowyowl, I remember reading ages ago in a book the average Summer maximum in the UK should reach 31.2c atleast once in each of the 2 main summer months (July and August) Usually between the middle of July to the first week of August. Perhaps surprisingly towards the end of August is also a reacurring hot spot for high temperatures.

1980-2008;

1980 29.4 Cors Fachno (Dyfed) 4 June

1981 29.5 Kew 5 August

1982 30.7 Morley St. Botolph (Norf.) 3 August

1983 33.0 Hampton 15 July, East Bergholt (Suffolk) 16 July

1984 31.9 St Louis (Jersey) 20 Aug

1985 30.1 St Louis (Jersey) 13 July (30.5 Mepal 12 Sept looks wrong!)

1986 32.0 Rustington (W. Sussex) 28 June

1987 30.1 Northolt (Lond.) 20 Aug

1988 30.2 Cheltenham (Glos.) 7 Aug

1989 34.4 Mickleham (Surr.) 22 July

80s average highest summer temperature 31.1c

1990 37.1 Cheltenham 3 Aug

1991 32.1 Cromer (Norf.) 11 July

1992 30.3 Malvern 29 June

1993 29.7 East Bergholt (Suff.) 4 July

1994 34.0 Lakenheath (Suffolk) 12 July

1995 35.2 Boxworth (Cambs.) 1 Aug

1996 33.2 Rickmansworth 22 July

1997 33.1 Wellesbourne (Warks.) 10 August

1998 32.2 Gravesend 10 August

1999 32.7 Heathrow 1 August, Honington (East Anglia) 2 August

90s average highest temperature 33.0c

2000 32.6 Coltishall (Norfolk) 19 June

2001 32.2 Northolt (London) 26 June

2002 32.6 Northolt (London) 30 July

2003 38.5 Brogdale, near Faversham (Kent) 10 August; with some debate, and 38.1C at Kew may be more reliable

2004 31.5 Northolt (London) 8 August

2005 32.6 Heathrow 19 June

2006 36.5 Wisley (Surrey) 19 July

2007 30.1 Terrington St. Clement, Wisbech (Norfolk) 5 August

2008 29.7 Kew Gardens, London 27 July (so far).

So far this decade 32.9c

Almost on a par with the summer of the 90s. Only 1992 and 1993 were dissapointing for absolute highs compared to 6 in the 80s!

Compared to the 60s;

1960 30.6 Wyton (Cambs.) 18 June

1961 33.9 Regents Park, Camden Square, Gillingham 1 July

1962 27.8 Writtle (Essex) 3 September

1963 28.9 Littlehampton 22 July; Ceinws (Powys.) 29 July; Wisley, Gordon Castle (Gramp.) 30 July

1964 32.8 Cromer 26 August

1965 28.9 Kensington Palace 14 May

1966 28.9 Southampton 9 June; Perth, Crossmyloof (Strathclyde) 21 July; Camden Square (20 August)

1967 30.2 Watnall (Notts.) 17 July

1968 33.3 Camden Square 1 July

1969 32.8 Letchworth (Herts.) 16 July

Average 60's absolute maxima 30.8c

The 2007 temperature is a little suspect, Philip Eden I don't think agrees that its an acceptable station.

Posted

A very interesting table there thanks, as for last years max I too can`t see that 30c was reached myself this year I would of put as a higher max but only slightly.

Posted

The highest temperature this summer was 30.2°C at Cambridge NIAB (the Botany Institute) on July 28 2008. This was, like last year, an occasion where the Met Office conveniently "found" a temperature that exceeded 29.9°C after the month's end.

The highest temperature in the centre of Cambridge (Guildhall) that day was 28°C according to Weatheronline. But some farmland to the north of the city apparently recorded a temperature 2°C higher than the town centre. But then again the Met Office says so, so it must be right. :D

Posted

A far as im concerned we haven't reached 30C this year. The highest temp that I have noticed was on July 28th at Holbeach (Lincs) which was 29.7C.

Seriously doubt the 30.2C that Nick posted above. A good example is the official weather station for Peterborough is Wittering which is based in the countryside. Now the centre of Peterborough often records temps around 1-2C warmer so I cannot see how the botany institute is 2C warmer than the centre of Cambridge.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY