Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature Monitors Report Widescale Global COOLING

xxx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

Also worth reading this too - NOTE the last couple of paragraphs!!!! http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/2008/...past-12-months/

Posted

Significant, if the data is corroberated, but as is mentioned in the article, it is anecdotal, and in and off itself, doesn't really mean that much in the face of 1/10 of the last decade being a cooling year, which means 90% of the last decade it's been warming.

Still, one to keep an eye on - but it's still not the smokin' gun - need another nine years worth of similar data just to say the run in the heat is a photo finish.

Posted

To put that alleged cooling into perspective:

The combined global land and ocean surface temperature for January was the 31st warmest on record, 0.32°F/0.18°C above the 20th century mean

~ ~ ~

... it was the warmest January on record in Australia. According to the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM), temperatures were 3-4°C (5-7°F) above average across large areas in Western and Central Australia. The January 2008 average temperature for the nation was 1.23°C (2.21°F) above the 1961-1990 mean, which exceeded the previous record of +1.16°C (+2.09°F) set in January 1999.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/resear.../jan/jan08.html

It was also, I believe rather warm in Britain :rolleyes:

Posted
To put that alleged cooling into perspective:

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/resear.../jan/jan08.html

It was also, I believe rather warm in Britain :blush:

One month of warming in twelve, and you're claiming the cooling is over? :rolleyes:

:doh:

(there's going to be soooo much mileage in this (until the next warming spell, that is))

Edited by VillagePlank

Posted

http://www.wmo.int/pages/mediacentre/news/index_en.html

It's gonna be a "cooler than normal" Autumn in eastern Oz, apparently.

Who will be brave enough to hazard a guess at what this coming year or decade will bring? :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

This is a serious drop and a development that MUST be monitored. There is growing evidence that a Dalton or even Maunder minima approaches in the next 25 years, it may come sooner with cycle 24. That is one hell of a drop and CO2 is crashing ever higher through the roof???? Folk know my feelings and cycles cycles cycles is my view. No matter what at present the AGW camp are having a twitchy backside time because this is NOT PART OF THE SCRIPT. :lol: It is if you follow and believe the cycles

Oh as to this year lets see how the albedo effect takes place. Most snowcover in the NH since 1966...a hell of a lot of snow! Weaker sun, more snow, more energy to melt the snow so temps don't get as high as lower snowcover before temps really get going..time runs out as temp peak passes and we head towards autumn..lower temp baseline so next year?

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
This is a serious drop and a development that MUST be monitored. There is growing evidence that a Dalton or even Maunder minima approaches in the next 25 years, it may come sooner with cycle 24. That is one hell of a drop and CO2 is crashing ever higher through the roof???? Folk know my feelings and cycles cycles cycles is my view. No matter what at present the AGW camp are having a twitchy backside time because this is NOT PART OF THE SCRIPT. ;)It is if you follow and believe the cycles.....

BFTP

Absolutely! I'll say this one more time for anyone who missed it first time around. 2008: the year AGW leaves the room while it thinks no-one is looking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Can't everyone get it into their thick heads that we are supposed to be in a 20 year period of cooldown???

So many folk push natural cycles as opposed to AGW and yet when a well understood and measured one occurs the same folk think it's some sign that we do not hold the future of the planet in our hands.

What were global temps like when we entered the last 20yr cold cycle I wonder???? Not amongst the warmest ever recorded I'll wager!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
GW you leave me flabergasted and sorta giggly at the same time. Jeeez!

Then my work here is done.......

Posted
Can't everyone get it into their thick heads that we are supposed to be in a 20 year period of cooldown???

Seeing as I have a certified IQ of 148 I trust you're not implying I have a 'thick head',GW? And I've obviously missed the posts where you have stated/acknowledged that we're 'supposed' to be in the midst of a twenty year cooldown. Was it anticipated to have kicked off with such a momentous opening round,how low will it go,and when it starts to recover from it's nadir will it be due to natural forces or will it be our CO2 coming to the rescue? As if there'll be anything like the ability to generate CO2 in twenty years time as there is now! The whole thing is a joke,and a poor one at that. More and more people are,thankfully,coming to realise that. But by the time the environmentalists and governments have achieved their aims it'll be too late. Job done,the greenies will have found something else to campaign over and Al Gore will be reclining on his bed of millions. You and me,meanwhile,will have far more pressing concerns than the natural rise and fall of temperature,unless of course the fall is a substantial and prolonged one. Which I'm afraid to say, is looking more and more the likely outcome.

Posted

To use a famous architects quote we should strive to always "touch this earth lightly". What is wrong with aiming to reduce our carbon footprint if it means a more reliable, politically stable and potentially endless source of energy be produced. We should, and must, be concerned that we as a species are having some effect on the planet as a whole and to be more respectful of our own home is essential. The AGW deniers only lead to a continuation of the buy now, pay later, attitude - it will come crashing down, the world is a finite resource.

Posted
The AGW deniers only lead to a continuation of the buy now, pay later, attitude - it will come crashing down, the world is a finite resource.

I have to take issue with this statement. I believe that I am what would be classed as a "denier" in that I consider that our climate is "dictated" by complex and interacting natural cycles, rather than by man's behaviour.

However, that in no way means that I feel that man can continue in the way that he has been doing. I have, times ad nauseum, made my views quite clear that we have a duty to respect our planet and resources and to damn well clean up our act.

I really, really do object to these self-righteous "accusations" which are bandied around with such gusto and which are, in many cases, totally without foundation.

Posted
I have to take issue with this statement. I believe that I am what would be classed as a "denier" in that I consider that our climate is "dictated" by complex and interacting natural cycles, rather than by man's behaviour.

However, that in no way means that I feel that man can continue in the way that he has been doing. I have, times ad nauseum, made my views quite clear that we have a duty to respect our planet and resources and to damn well clean up our act.

I really, really do object to these self-righteous "accusations" which are bandied around with such gusto and which are, in many cases, totally without foundation.

Point taken Noggin, perhaps I should have put the term deniers in quotation marks. It was not a criticism directed at you personally more one intended to group the holders of the popular view that 'if we are not warming then we can continue down the same path without a care in the world' camp of people.

I think you will agree we live in a self-obsessed selfish world where there can only be short term benefits!

Whether warming or not, natural cycle or human induced we must keep an open mind and do our utmost to do the right thing.

Posted
Point taken Noggin, perhaps I should have put the term deniers in quotation marks. It was not a criticism directed at you personally more one intended to group the holders of the popular view that 'if we are not warming then we can continue down the same path without a care in the world' camp of people.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to actually find anyone around here who would subscribe to that opinion.

Posted
I'm guessing that wasn't Sir Norman Foster then?

No not that famous, only famous to architects and australians - Glenn Murcutt

I think you'd be hard-pressed to actually find anyone around here who would subscribe to that opinion.

Around here yes, but in the wider world no.

Posted
To use a famous architects quote we should strive to always "touch this earth lightly".
I'm guessing that wasn't Sir Norman Foster then?
No not that famous, only famous to architects and australians - Glenn Murcutt

Glenn Murcutt, Australian designer of eco-houses, stole the quote from an Aboriginal saying. Typical really.