Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earth Hour

Cakie

Posted

Our local radio station has been plugging Earth Hour for the last few weeks. Basically, the idea is that we all switch our lights off between 8-9pm on Saturday night

Earth hour

Here is some of the blurb from the site. It takes a while to open I think due to the amount of interest :-

On March 31 2007, for one hour, Sydney made a powerful statement about the greatest contributor to global warming – coal-fired electricity – by turning off its lights. Over 2.2 million Sydney residents and over 2,100 businesses switched off, leading to a 10.2% energy reduction across the city. What began as one city taking a stand against global warming caught the attention of the world.

In 2008, 24 global cities will participate in Earth Hour at 8 pm on March 29. Earth Hour is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. It is about simple changes that will collectively make a difference – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty, to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.

So go on, have a romantic candle lit meal and do your bit for the environment :)

Posted
Our local radio station has been plugging Earth Hour for the last few weeks. Basically, the idea is that we all switch our lights off between 8-9pm on Saturday night

Same here Katie CLICKY

As long as I have a torch that will last me long enough to get to the drinks cabinet and pour a couple out, I shall be joining in! :)

Posted

Sorry to p*** on the self power cut party but I don't see what effect it will have. (Unless you like living in the dark! :D )

Touchwood shopping centre here in Solihull will be following the trend tonight. Probably the reported 56 flights cancelled from the new T5 at Heathrow will serve a better purpose. (Or maybe cancelling a weeks PMs question time would stop a lot of the co2 as well because as of late, the more they speak, the more hot air gets released into the atmosphere.)

Think about the latter part of that last sentence. ;)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Yep temps globally should drop by say .....0f :D However waste not, want not.

BFTP

Posted

Since I first posted this someone has pointed out that Power stations are geared up to deliver a certain amount of energy and anything not used just gets "lost" so tonight's event won't actually help.

This may be true and if it is then surely we should be looking at a way of saving the "lost" energy. I think the main aim of tonight is to raise your personal awareness of your own energy consumption and look to ways of being greener :D

Posted

Could also cause accidents too with people walking around in semi darkness. No-one thought of that.

A crazy idea which will prove nothing to the powers that be called governments. I'm all for cutting the carbon footprint, such as I do when shutting down my PC and unplugging it at night before I go to bed, as with TV, Sky box, DVD player et al. Plus energy saving bulbs. (Just don't drop any! :D )

But the fact of the matter is that we are only a handful of those getting involved in this issue globally. And as rightly said by yourself, what about the way of saving the 'lost' energy? In my opinion, it could cause even more energy release when the megawatts suddenly start to boost up again.

Phil.

Posted
Since I first posted this someone has pointed out that Power stations are geared up to deliver a certain amount of energy and anything not used just gets "lost" so tonight's event won't actually help.

This may be true and if it is then surely we should be looking at a way of saving the "lost" energy. I think the main aim of tonight is to raise your personal awareness of your own energy consumption and look to ways of being greener :)

The energy goes straight into the earth and dissipates?

Posted

I would think the power stations are cursing this action because they will have to adjust the amount of electirc generated so as not to waste too much of their resources also when everybody turns on their lights at 9pm the power stations may not be able to cope with the demand for power and some people will end up getting power cuts.

Still i would love to be in space watching the lights go out.

Are the councils going to turn off the street lights for an hour too?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds
Are the councils going to turn off the street lights for an hour too?

I wouldn't have thought so, it wouldn't be such a good idea really. No streetlights here anyway :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

I will go for a walk with the dogs, if it is raining, I will sit by the fire* and meditate.

Even if it is not saving anything its the thought that counts IMO

Rustynailer "Eco warrior" :unsure:

* It is lit already but I won't put any more wood on for 1 hour.

Posted
We had a total of about 2 hours of powercuts the other night. I guess if you wont volunteer and all that... :unsure:

Same here, i don't think im going to do it tonight. my dad won't like the idea :lol:

Posted

pffft I will be leaving all my lights on in protest - actually if everyone turned off their lights at the same time that would not be a good idea! Wait till everyone switches them on again or try to! :unsure:

Also just to spite the Greenies i'm going out to the back garden to burn a few tyres.

Edited by Darkman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.
Also just to spite the Greenies i'm going out to the back garden to burn a few tyres.

:lol:

Leave them fully pumped up with air for max fun, provided you have a large enough garden that is :unsure:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I'm all up for it but I'll delay it until 1am tomorrow morning. I can categorically say I will not use up any energy between 1 and 2 am tomorrow.

Failing that I'll make sure the babysitter sits in silence and darkness tonight.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/2398

Presumably all the millions of people who will go along with this will save X many tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere,thereby ushering in the ice age which it (CO2) has been so successful in preventing thus far? :unsure:

Posted
pffft I will be leaving all my lights on in protest - actually if everyone turned off their lights at the same time that would not be a good idea! Wait till everyone switches them on again or try to! :unsure:

How very adult of you.