Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Daddy Long Legs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I had my kitchen door open tonight for a short while and within minutes I had 3 daddy long legs flying around the room, and it struck me that they are earlier than usual - we usually have an influx around mid September. Has anyone else had a visit from these horribly venomous beasties, or have my 3 just woken up far too early?

Also, while I remember, I looked out the window today and my neighbour's apple tree is heavy with fruit and their rowan tree is covered in berries. Now I know that nature is reactive not proactive but I thought it worth a mention to see if anyone else is noticing any early autumnal signs.

Posted

Hey All, I have seen a few Daddy long legs...we also have plenty of Rowan Berries on the trees here...I would have thought it was pretty normal for mid august, especially here is Scotland...Whats not normal is a week of almost constant rain...

Posted
I had my kitchen door open tonight for a short while and within minutes I had 3 daddy long legs flying around the room, and it struck me that they are earlier than usual - we usually have an influx around mid September. Has anyone else had a visit from these horribly venomous beasties, or have my 3 just woken up far too early?

Also, while I remember, I looked out the window today and my neighbour's apple tree is heavy with fruit and their rowan tree is covered in berries. Now I know that nature is reactive not proactive but I thought it worth a mention to see if anyone else is noticing any early autumnal signs.

there are hawthorns with berry laden branch's so heavy they look like they would break,elderberry is the same even hazelnut and chestnut everything seems to be fruiting so much earlier this year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

After a low number of wasps in the last few years there are many around at the moment. I sighted a daddy longlegs back late July, but have not seen one since.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

"There is an urban legend stating that the daddy long-legs spider has the most potent venom of any spider, and this same legend is attributed to crane flies where they commonly go by the name "daddy-long legs" (principally in the United Kingdom).

However, both the daddy long-legs spider and the crane fly are in fact innocuous; the spider's venom is practically harmless to humans, and the crane fly is not venomous. The commonly confused harvestman, also known as daddy long-legs but which isn't a spider, is also not venomous."

:D - I am rather disappointed. I thought that was true :/

Anyway, yes I've seen two! Very early has to be said, they must not be enjoying the beautiful weather we've been having!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can't stand the things. I have to shut my window of an evening or otherwise my room would be full of them. Only had one so far this year, usually have plagues of them around Sept-Oct normally before getting killed off by the first frost.

Posted

I have a slight phobia about Daddy long legs so I'm not happy to hear they may be making an early appearance :D

I think the wet weather has maybe helped get them out a bit earlier than usual

Posted

Saw the first one of the year a couple of months ago, although he looked quite small and underdeveloped and haven't seen any since then, thank goodness. Hardly any butterflies, the herbs on my windowsill haven't got greenfly, hardly any wasps, no ladybirds (as opposed to the hundred of harlequin ladybirds last year) and no flying ants. Sadly, I think there's a nest of the unmentionable stripy things at the bottom of the garden.

Posted

Oh I saw one last night. Right in my face as well when chatting to my cousin on Facebook.

Sadly, it didn't survive for long after that. (daddy long legs that is. I gave it some chemical warfare!) ;)

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I havent seen a crane fly yet however I did see a banana spider and a false black widow spider today at work (the banana spider came in on the bananas), the false black windows are an introduced species to the UK I think :) Didnt go near either though!

or even worse... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-19934204/

Posted

I've had Daddy Long Legs flying about since June, we had a massive one in the kitchen last month. Though I haven't seen a sing bee or wasp all summer.

Posted
I havent seen a crane fly yet however I did see a banana spider and a false black widow spider today at work (the banana spider came in on the bananas), the false black windows are an introduced species to the UK I think :lol: Didnt go near either though!

or even worse... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-n...00252-19934204/

Yes those false black windows are deadly

Posted
Oh I saw one last night. Right in my face as well when chatting to my cousin on Facebook.

Sadly, it didn't survive for long after that. (daddy long legs that is. I gave it some chemical warfare!) ;)

Phil.

Why was a daddy-long-legs talking to your cousin on facebook?

Posted
Yes those false black windows are deadly

my mate got bitten on the hand by one of them, his hand and arm swelled up like a balloon

Posted
my mate got bitten on the hand by one of them, his hand and arm swelled up like a balloon

I think he was joking around with you! Their venom is harmless to humans ;)

Posted
I think he was joking around with you! Their venom is harmless to humans ;)

well it was some kind of spider i was there it bit him right in the middle of his hand 10 mins later it went red and swollen by the time he saw the doctor it had swelled up his hand and arm

Posted
well it was some kind of spider i was there it bit him right in the middle of his hand 10 mins later it went red and swollen by the time he saw the doctor it had swelled up his hand and arm

Ah I see I don't think it was the crane fly. They are an awful species when it comes to flying considering other flying insects, they are slow in movement, have very weak venom and generally don't attack - even when five year olds pull off all their legs and wings! ;)

Posted

I was referencing window, not widow, as per the spelling mistake, ;) TAXI!!

is this an insect we're talking about?