Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Alps Weather And Skiing Conditions

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning all,

Fair weather cloud over the Eastern Alps today under the high pressure zone. Light winds and sunshine making it feel very pleasant. Great ski-ing to be had this weekend. Slopes remain quiet, just how I like it.

C

post-3489-1235814864_thumb.jpg

Posted

Morning all,

Fair weather cloud over the Eastern Alps today under the high pressure zone. Light winds and sunshine making it feel very pleasant. Great ski-ing to be had this weekend. Slopes remain quiet, just how I like it.

C

[/quote

Morning,

Another stunning morning in the Hohe Tauren Range.That valley to the right leads to Muhr with the best brewery in the region . That reminders me soon be time for a beer and a cheese and pine needle toastie!

Nice to see a welcome change on the way for the UK next week. Some snow for the Scottish resorts, hopefully.

C

post-3489-1235903555_thumb.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Latest Updates of the Snow Depths, in bracket relates to 13 Feb

France

Alpe d'Huez 120/165cm (140/165cm) 1 Mar 2cm

Chatel 105/155cm (155cm/187cm) 22 Feb 5cm

Courchevel 101/110cm (128cm/142cm) 22 Feb 2cm

Morzine 95cm/230cm (110cm/265cm) 22 Feb 3cm

Tignes 128/175cm (138cm/198cm) 1 Mar 3cm

Val Thorens 130cm/170cm (165cm/200cm) 24 Feb 6cm

Switzerland

Wengen 70cm/115cm (70cm/115cm) 23 Feb 25cm

Zermatt 70cm/300cm (69cm/360cm) 23 Feb 15cm

Italy

Bormio 80cm/330cm (90cm/330cm) 7 Feb 40cm

Austria

Saalbach 120cm/235cm (55cm/150cm) 27 Feb 20cm

Some variation in conditions in the past week after some mild temps especially in western areas.

Posted
http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?s...=54205&st=0

latest blog out.

Also do you agree with my thoughts that this is the best Alpine winter since 2005-06, all thoughts welcome.

Most certainly. In fact, from a purely personal point of view, we had the best snow conditions this February (both depth and quality) that I can remember for a long time. 10 years at least. And possibly longer. No slush, no artificial snow required anywhere, perfect conditions really. Definitely much better than the same time in February 06. Not the same resort, but not too far apart (La Plagne in 06, Morzine this year.)

Posted
Also do you agree with my thoughts that this is the best Alpine winter since 2005-06, all thoughts welcome.

Yes, I think it probably has been. There hasn't been many extended periods of high pressure and therefore good steady snowfall across the season. The two times I went the snow was excellent, the 2nd time at the end of Jan there was about a metre of powder when we arrived, only just made it up the mountain.

Also, there haven't been any very warm periods, if there has, these have been quickly followed by cold fronts.

Be interesting to see the total snow fall figures from some resorts are at the end of the season.

I would say some of the high resorts, particularly in France have had more windy does then pervious seasons, with quite a few ski days lost to high winds. A few days before our arrival in Val Thorens the winds had been up to 200Kph, stripping snow off exposed areas.

Fingers crossed for next season, and a decent summer!

Latest Updates of the Snow Depths, in bracket relates to 2 March

France

Alpe d'Huez 140/165cm (120/165cm) 9 Mar 15cm

Chatel 130cm/180cm (105/155cm) 6 Mar 10cm

Courchevel 135cm/145cm (101/110cm) 7 Mar 5cm

Morzine 100cm/270cm (95cm/230cm) (110cm/265cm) 9 Mar 7cm

Tignes 145/190cm (128/175cm) 15 Mar 9cm

Val Thorens 165/215cm (130cm/170cm) 9 Mar 10cm

Switzerland

Wengen 75cm/140cm (70cm/115cm) 6 Mar 60cm

Zermatt 88cm/300cm (70cm/300cm) 6 Mar 45cm

Italy

Bormio 60cm/300cm (80cm/330cm) 8 Mar 3cm

Austria

Saalbach 80cm/185cm (120cm/235cm) 9 Mar 5cm

Some fresh snowfalls generally with the best topups in Switzerland.

Posted
I would say some of the high resorts, particularly in France have had more windy does then pervious seasons, with quite a few ski days lost to high winds. A few days before our arrival in Val Thorens the winds had been up to 200Kph, stripping snow off exposed areas.

Yes I have heard Val Thorens has had very windy conditions this winter, thus blowing away much of the snow that has fallen. I am now in the 3 to 4 week period before my trip there where I keep everything crossed hoping decent conditions last into early April!

Posted

My experience is the Jungfrau region, Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald. The area, this year has had the highest snowfall totals all through the winter for many years.

At high level, at times, they too have had high wind problems. Fortunately they did not commence until the snow had been pisted so although the tops looked rather bare at times it had next to no effect on the hundreds of kilometers of ski runs. There was never any real thaw, other than one day, trust me to be there, it rained and thawed even at 7000ft, something I had never seen at that height. 6 hours later and it was all powder snow again.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
My experience is the Jungfrau region, Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald. The area, this year has had the highest snowfall totals all through the winter for many years.

At high level, at times, they too have had high wind problems. Fortunately they did not commence until the snow had been pisted so although the tops looked rather bare at times it had next to no effect on the hundreds of kilometers of ski runs. There was never any real thaw, other than one day, trust me to be there, it rained and thawed even at 7000ft, something I had never seen at that height. 6 hours later and it was all powder snow again.

Following on from what John has to report, the snowfall this March in my part of Austria has been quite amazing, locals report the most seen here since the 60s. At an elevation of 1640m in the village 180cm still lies with two falls of 30cm recorded during the past week. However, at this time of year , height certainly makes a big difference as further down the valley at a elevation of 1000m, spring flowers are blooming !

C

post-3489-1237123344_thumb.jpg

Posted
Following on from what John has to report, the snowfall this March in my part of Austria has been quite amazing, locals report the most seen here since the 60s. At an elevation of 1640m in the village 180cm still lies with two falls of 30cm recorded during the past week. However, at this time of year , height certainly makes a big difference as further down the valley at a elevation of 1000m, spring flowers are blooming !

C

Afternoon,

Looks like a smoking volcano on the Aineck. Glorious sunshine today with temperatures up to 7c in the village. Lots of snow still on all runs. First signs of slush on pistes below 1500m.

C

post-3489-1237390086_thumb.jpg

Posted
Afternoon,

Looks like a smoking volcano on the Aineck. Glorious sunshine today with temperatures up to 7c in the village. Lots of snow still on all runs. First signs of slush on pistes below 1500m.

C

Morning,

Temperature dropped to below Oc again today after yesterdays relative warmth. Snow showers and a biting NEly at the moment.

C

Posted

Morning,

Another fall of snow overnight. This March is just amazing for the amount of snowfall . One of the quietest weeks of the season for skiers with the runs almost empty yet in perfect condition. Get a flight out this weekend !

C

post-3489-1237536880_thumb.jpg

Posted
Morning,

Another fall of snow overnight. This March is just amazing for the amount of snowfall . One of the quietest weeks of the season for skiers with the runs almost empty yet in perfect condition. Get a flight out this weekend !

C

Morning all,

Lovely spring sunshine. Conditions perfect. Holding on to the cold air in these parts. That picture is bottom of the black run down from the top of the Katschberg Mountain.

C

post-3489-1237635068_thumb.jpg

Posted

come on Paul

looks more like a blue, red at the most, unless there is some hidden feature we can't see?

very envious of being in that spot though and able to take advantage of such lovely weather.

Posted
come on Paul

looks more like a blue, red at the most, unless there is some hidden feature we can't see?

very envious of being in that spot though and able to take advantage of such lovely weather.

Looks can deceive John. At my age, thats a black run ! Great weather, but still no sign of thaw yet.

C

Posted

Morning all,

Another sparkling morning. Warming up after a sharp frost first thing. That view is looking over the baby lift towards the main village with time share chalets on the left and the twin towers ( pine cone shaped appartments ) Edel and Wiess, yes,that what they call them ! They should be completed later this spring. At the top of the picture is the Cristallo Hotel, one of the finest in Austria.

C

post-3489-1237715896_thumb.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Posted

Well coming up to just over 10 days until I head over to Val Thorens, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of big snow dumps before then!! I think at the moment things look ok, although I do get worried when I see the words 'spring like' in the weather reports!

Posted
Well coming up to just over 10 days until I head over to Val Thorens, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of big snow dumps before then!! I think at the moment things look ok, although I do get worried when I see the words 'spring like' in the weather reports!

hard to go wrong in val thorens even in spring as its so high up. i went two years ago and we had a metre of snow falling across 3 days. infact too much! have fun

Posted

Good example of the Fohn conditions affecting Austria this afternoon. The ascending wind is bringing moisture to the the mountain top ( fog and light rain), the descending air on the other side of the mountain undergoes a dramatic change as the relative humidity lowers and the temperature rises. 15C locally this afternoon and the hair dryer conditions in Lower Austria have raised temperatures close to 21C. Very slushy on the Northern slopes with melt water appearing, still not bad on this side of the mountain, but certainly been a big change in conditions this weekend after weeks of wonderful snow conditions. Well soon be time to return to Blighty when I can book a cheap flight. Spring sunshine looks good for next week over there and soon be cricket season.

C

post-3489-1238253593_thumb.jpg

Edited by carinthian

Three were stunning conditions up in the higher areas of the Portes Du Soleil this week with some photos to follow. As a result of this the next forecast will be issued tomorrow, followed by the regular update next Friday followed by an extended one to cover the Easter weekend.

As promised the latest Ski Blog is out, the next one will be updated on Friday as usual, with a special one to cover the Easter weekend.

a Few photos of the recent holiday, very snowy up in Avoriaz, after a sunny few days to start.

post-213-1238799267_thumb.jpg