Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Hi everyone,

Just heard a weather forcaster from the met office say sorry to us in Scotland on the PM Programme on BBC Radio 4. They then warned us in the central belt that the snow band will return from the north to affect us at the rush hour tommorrow. We wait and see :doh:

sorry for what?

ignoring us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.
sorry for what?

ignoring us?

No for getting it wrong. They had complaints about all the schools being closed in the Borders today as they were forcasting a white out and it rained for most :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

oh, yeah that was a real muck up. I don't suppose borders kids will be complaining though

What made the council think that the forecast was completely infallible?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

imo i think it's a complete and utter joke that the met office has not issued any warnings for us scots. As someone said earlier the event in england is being ramped up to much and they will probably just end up with rain or sleet , absolute joke if u ask me

Edited by Calum

Posted
imo i think it's a complete and utter joke that the met office has not issued any warnings for us scots. As someone said earlier the event in england is being ramped up to much and they will probably just end up with rain or sleet , absolute joke if u ask me

even the english on the other forum think that it is touch and go as far north as about stafford.

It is a little embarrasing firstly that the official weather forecasting body appears to play regional politics with weather warnings at times(or are just utterly hopeless) and secondly how the media spins out any snow that hits the south east then persists in reporting snow in places where it isn't snowing(melrose last night for example).

Posted

Exciting weather just now! A lot of possibilities for Scotland over the next few days with a front moving down form the north tomorrow which could give a few hours snow to quite a few places.

A couple of other possibilities for heavier snow may be Sunday when a low passes west to east, at the moment this looks as though it will be snow on its northern flank.

Although a bit further away Tuesday on the ECM and GFS both have a deep low crossing England that could give snow anywhere.

For some widespread heavy snowfall for Scotland over the next few days we probably just need a wee bit of luck.

Posted

I waited patiently during the easterly safe in the knowledge that a northerly was setting itself up. Surely I can't be disappointed again!!

Posted

I waited patiently during the easterly safe in the knowledge that a northerly was setting itself up. Surely I can't be disappointed again!!

Winds should start veering northerly from around lunchtime tomorrow in your parts I would think and should remain that way right through the weekend.

Posted
yeah, and this is funny: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3366

:lol:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ta/...st_weather.html

mine is above

as for the london forecast yeah it is quite funny

how can it rain at 4C and 3C and snow at 5C anyway?

they have no idea and are just trying to find some snow in england

A northerly ain't too good for my area. Goddam Ochil Hills take most of the snow, but we'll see.

if it clears the eastern cairngorms then there isn't much to stop it getting here

we have the lomonds to the south so if it comes it could work out ideally for here as the hills might keep the snow falling here

Posted

Met office just going for light sleet and snow wed for strathclyde,obviously explains the lack of any warnings. Think its a case of expect little and take what we get in the way of snow as a bonus.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/...st_weather.html

Posted
Met office just going for light sleet and snow wed for strathclyde,obviously explains the lack of any warnings. Think its a case of expect little and take what we get in the way of snow as a bonus.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/...st_weather.html

even so, if its persistant overnight then it will still accumulate quite a bit and that would cause problems

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The Highlands especially gets ignored, but I guess that Met Office seem to assume that because we're used to it then as severe a warning is not needed. There was no mass panic during the start of March 2006 when we saw very heavy snowfall, same goes for late January 2003.

Posted

ahh, i recall march 2006 :rolleyes:

8 inches of snow in our garden, the highest in the last decade for us

pity it was a sunday :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
A northerly ain't too good for my area. Goddam Ochil Hills take most of the snow, but we'll see.

Ditto! However that deep snow that we got in March 2006 (14th I think) came from a northerly. Not sure what the set up was though - Trough down the North Sea?

Posted

Yes, sometimes we are ignored in Northern Scotland. I suspect because we are not as densely populated as areas down south.

BUT we are better prepared. Living outside Inverness above the snowline, I have to say we are well catered for if snow does arrive. Gritters and snowploughs are out regularly and I have not been snowed in yet! Well down to Highland Council......they dont always get things right but in this case they do.

Posted
Ditto! However that deep snow that we got in March 2006 (14th I think) came from a northerly. Not sure what the set up was though - Trough down the North Sea?

This was the chart for March 16, but can't recall if this was the actual date:

Rrea00220060316.gif

Posted

A quick summary of what the population centres in the Central Lowlands can expect over the next 48 hours:

First of all the Fax Chart at T+36, midnight Thurs. This show two occluded fronts straddling the lowlands. Note the 528 dam line (a good indicator of wintry precipitation) is moving well down into northern England:

post-1217-1233693783_thumb.png

So, an initially interesting set-up. Cold air and fronts moving over us. So let's have a look at how cold the air will be at surface:

Weds 18h00:

post-1217-1233693939_thumb.png

Midnight:

post-1217-1233693954_thumb.png

And 06h00 Thursday:

post-1217-1233693974_thumb.png

So cold - sub-zero everywhere except the western Isles and western Argyle plus the north sea coast of the Borders.

A quick glance at dew points (sub zero hopefully):

post-1217-1233694090_thumb.png

And yes - extensively below zero.

So we have sub zero temps, sub zero dewpoints and a front moving over. The next thing to worry about is the upper air temperatures and of course, whether there is actually any precipitation about. From nw extra - here's some great charts that show both together. Watch for upper air temps of -5ºC or below to indicate how wintry the ppn may be:

18h00 Weds:

post-1217-1233694236_thumb.png

Midnight - definitely heavier in the east over the Lothians, but Glasgow and Strathclyde not missing out:

post-1217-1233694279_thumb.png

And 06h00 Thurs:

post-1217-1233694299_thumb.png

Finally the midnight computer generated precipitation-type chart for midnight:

post-1217-1233694351_thumb.png

So all in all an interesting 36-48 hours coming up. Let's hope the gritters have been told :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snowing at Drumochter (A9) now. It was rain and 1C when I was passing there at 18.00

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/list.aspx?mi=7&cam=65

Edited by Highland Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
Yes, sometimes we are ignored in Northern Scotland. I suspect because we are not as densely populated as areas down south.

BUT we are better prepared. Living outside Inverness above the snowline, I have to say we are well catered for if snow does arrive. Gritters and snowploughs are out regularly and I have not been snowed in yet! Well down to Highland Council......they dont always get things right but in this case they do.

Is it not Bear Scotland who are in charge still? If it still is, then I have to say they are absolutely awful at times. Inverness has been quite fortunate in that it has not seen a major snow event (I'm talking massive snowfall) in about 20 years, the 80s, 70s and 60s saw dInverness cut off from the rest of the UK for over a week at times, with very considerable snow drifts.

Posted

Hello

New here, been following this forum since the beginning of winter and hope to get to know you guys better. :)

Some Great Snow in East Kilbride in the last day or so. :rolleyes: Today rain and drizzle on/off and currently clear skies with a hard frost. :) most of the snow is still lying on the ground. :lol:

Current Weather at East Kilbride

20:55 GMT

Current Temp: -3.6c

Current Dew Point: -5.6c

Windchill:-3.6c

Humidex: -6.9c

Wind NE: 12mph

Weather: Clear Skies with frost

East Kilbride Weather Station: http://www.madpaddler.org/EKWeather/tabid/62/Default.aspx

Regards

Gaby :lol:

Edited by East Kilbride Blizzards