Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: Scotland

Mondy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Lets hope so as we always seem to miss out on these things. I am a wee bit worried though that the Met Office warnings seem to stop at the border :D

Posted

I think there will be flakes over time, but next Wed is looking good:

UK regions: Central, Tayside & Fife ]There is a moderate risk of a severe event affecting many parts of the United Kingdom. Further snow is likely in places, more particularly over higher ground where further significant accumulations are possible, especially during the second half of the day.

Issued at: 1124 Sat 31 Jan

Edited by Delta X-Ray

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Yeh must say i am disappointed at the lack of warnings, may mean nothing. Just have to wait and see.

even a decent covering would do me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

not to bothered about the met office warnings tbh , things will change after the 12z updates.

good idea starting this thread DXR

Posted

Well, the Meto has removed the snow showers & heavy snow from Monday through Tuesday for Aberdeen and replaced it with sleet so I'm not expecting much, if anything. Eaasterly are not normally much cop up here so no surprise there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

May be some fun and games in the Borders Mon/Tues, but I don't think the initial easterly will deliver much elsewhere apart from the Grampians. Scotland's chance may come later on IF, and it's a big IF, a cold plunge comes down from n or n/e, depending on the eventual position of the l/p to the south. If it trundles back east, ending up with the pv over Scandinavia, big time for many!

Personally, I hope it doesn't 'cos I'm off to New England next weekend, and it would just be my luck for the flight from Edinburgh to get delayed or cancelled, missing out on the 78" of snow that's fallen at my house there this winter...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

fife tends to do better out of easterlies than other parts from experience, and the current runs are looking good for snow sunday, monday and into tuesday :)

i have no confidence in the met office warnings as they are most often wrong eg. the dumping of snow that was meant to hit us in mid january and various events where snow wasn't even forecast but came

here's hoping..

Posted

Don`t know if I should get excited or not about this cold spell !!! Initially, It looked like a good dumping for the east coast of Scotland, but this system appears to be heading south on each model output, but fingers crossed the possible N/Easterly forcasted for later in the week could give us a taste of the winters of yesteryear !!! :)

Posted
Well, the Meto has removed the snow showers & heavy snow from Monday through Tuesday for Aberdeen and replaced it with sleet so I'm not expecting much, if anything. Eaasterly are not normally much cop up here so no surprise there.

Yeah, easterlies never provide much excitement for Aberdeen which I know surprises a lot of people.

Stonehaven all the way to Berwick are the best locations for snow and I you say, I think rain and sleet is all we are going to get from Monday night onwards. That -10 850T on Sunday night / Monday morning (snow) is replaced by -5 850T on Tue/Wed which is not good enough for Aberdeen city.

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The main risk for Scotland will start thursday as the north easterlies come in, though if you want to go down south i would do it now, trains will almost certainly not be running this week due to the incompetance of "wrong type of snow issues".

Posted

Despite my comments above, the latest BBC News 24 forecast seemed to suggest snow for the east coast into Tuesday! Mind you, with these modern BBC graphics who knows what kind of weather you supposed to get - bring back the bloody symbols for goodness sakes!

Edited by Zerouali lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well we look well positioned for any easterly snow but i'm wondering if lower elevations will be really affected or not?

Lets hoped the north easterlies come off later in the week and then more widepsread snow is more likely.

Certainly been windy here today but not bitterly cold yet!

Posted

I would be surprised if we see much here but you never know! I'm not expecting anything so i cant really complain if nothing happens :)

Posted
I would be surprised if we see much here but you never know! I'm not expecting anything so i cant really complain if nothing happens :)

The Beeb have the snow showers symbol for Ayr on Monday and Tuesday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2323

but frankly I've lost count of the amount of times they've had it for here this winter to no avail :)

Posted
Mind you, with these modern BBC graphics who knows what kind of weather you supposed to get - bring back the bloody symbols for goodness sakes!

Maybe that is deliberate, so that if there are complaints the forecast for an area was wrong, they can say it wasn't the snow graphic but sleet or rain.

Posted
The Beeb have the snow showers symbol for Ayr on Monday and Tuesday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2323

but frankly I've lost count of the amount of times they've had it for here this winter to no avail :)

Normaly the BBC 5 dayers are terrible but i would probably agree with that forecast! Light snow showers wont amount to much if any accumulation so we just need to hope for some troughs/heavier showers getting through :)

(At least its an easterly, so if there are any showers in Ayr they are likely to be of snow rather than rain)

Posted

Does look far more interesting for us mid-week on though - suggestions of it being far more favourable (for Scotland) then have been there for several days now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

More likely to see our share of the snow from the potentially NErly to be honest, some deep cold air coming from the north, would feel freezing in it. ECM is suggesting some colder upper air temps moving in, with great thicknesses too.