Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: London, Se England & E Anglia

Posted

Keep thinking its going to stop here in St Ives then it picks up again, just had some nice big flakes.

Current temp 0.5c

And sorry to hear my fellow St Ivian is off to drive his bus, bought a weekly ticket yesterday, any chance of a refund :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.
Keep thinking its going to stop here in St Ives then it picks up again, just had some nice big flakes.

Current temp 0.5c

And sorry to hear my fellow St Ivian is off to drive his bus, bought a weekly ticket yesterday, any chance of a refund :D

LOL! I'm hoping to get a call from Control telling me not to come in, but I don't think that will happen...

Where in St. Ives are you?

Posted
Must have had 6 inches here in Milton Keynes. No snow at moment but at least its not raining.....yet!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it is piddling down here in Snorbens, so I'm guessing it's on it's way to you.... :unsure:

Posted
What has been truly remarkable about this cold spell has been the extensive snow over a huge part of the UK. It was great to see those that missed out (or most) have now recieved at least some with the outlook looking 'interesting' over the next few days here in the SE.

What is good to see is that the main bulk of precipitation is arriving later tonight at the coldest pat of the night here in the SE. There are signs that this 'event' could well produce another 2-10ms with areas just the the S and E of London receiving the highest totals.

My guess is that somewhere around the Wrotham area down towards Maidstone (and the surrounding high ground) will see the highest totals.

We then have another potential event on sunday/sunday night and again on tuesday into wednesday (depending on the track of the low)

It's been absolutely fascinating and I actually dont mind a slightly warmer day today as it might be the last we see for a good few days.

I would also welcome others thoughts on tonights potential event.

James

Morning James

Its once again a complicated set up with still uncertainty regarding amounts of snow. A pulse of rain will track ne towards the se from the channel at the same time the cold air from the north will dig se wards, any rain should turn to snow overnight especially in the early hours towards the morning rush hour. At the moment the heaviest snow looks likely from London southwards, should be some good amounts over the Downs and higher ground, but it's hard to say how much will settle on lower ground as this will likely be wet from the earlier rain. :unsure:

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Stevenage has about another 3inches on top of what was already lying from Mon/Tue :unsure:

Here we go.

post-1766-1233818759_thumb.jpg

post-1766-1233818746_thumb.jpg

post-1766-1233818733_thumb.jpg

post-1766-1233818718_thumb.jpg

The snow on the brick wall measures around 7 inches.

Great pics TEITS. Almost worth a trip up the A1 if the snow here gets washed away.

Posted

I'm surprised that the snow is getting heavier again after nearly stopping. Dew point 0.0 Temp 0.6. Must be up to 4 inches now with some deeper drifts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
Hi everyone,

Very heavy snow in King's Lynn this morning. 3 inches on the paths, the roads are in an awful state.

JJB

Just in case you are going anywhere the QE roundabout has been closed from what I'm hearing and the Knight's Hill roundabout is blocked by a broken down lorry. Side roads are a nightmare - at least 3" and still not turned to rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
looking at the radar, the heavy precip yet again missed norfolk!

If I'd had a £ for the number of times I've watched snow paste Norfolk, but peter out 10–15 miles east of me over the years, I'd be as rich Bill Gates :D

We got about a couple of cms, but it's turned to a sleety/rainy mix now if that's any comfort, let's see what the w/e brings... :D

Posted
Just in case you are going anywhere the QE roundabout has been closed from what I'm hearing and the Knight's Hill roundabout is blocked by a broken down lorry. Side roads are a nightmare - at least 3" and still not turned to rain

I live in South Wootton I heard on the radio Knights Hill had lorrys rolling back down it! I think I'll give going out anywhere by car a miss!

Posted

Had to turn back from work this morning as work in Peterborough - started off in Burwell but with only 2cm here, got to Huntingdon and it was more like 4-5 inches and still falling with the A14 blocked off and snow everywhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
post-8647-1233825813_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825716_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825905_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825879_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825856_thumb.jpg

A few pics . . . road runs alongside water with no barrier, compacted snow on the road so its pretty dangerous out there at the moment

janet

Lovely pictures Janet. But if it gets foggy later and/or icy tonight, it might be worth ringing the Council/Highway Authority to cone along the riverside for drivers... or at least put up warning notices (probably not that you'd get any joy). It looks like an accident waiting to happen to me.

Not a dig in any way, but when people post pictures, could they reduce the size to 1000 pixels width? Makes it much easier to have a look at them and doesn't slow down scrolling the thread.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

I really hate these types of posts, but how much certainty is there of snow coming back to the SE corner this evening and over night. I have to drive to Dover for a 6:30am ferry tomorrow morning, so wondering what my chances of making it are....

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

I think the next 2-3 days are going to be as complex as the last 2-3 (Eg A Forecasters Nightmare)

The situation tonight is a carbon copy of what happened N and W of the IOW-Wash Line last night but much further South East. The Only problem this time is how far North and East the next batch of Rain from the South Gets and where the battleground for the Colder air from the North and North East Intercepts it this time around. I have a sneaky feeling areas South and South East of London (YET AGAIN :):):) ) Will do very well out of this

Some examples would be Surrey, Sussex,Kent etc but quite a lot of people will again miss out (Esp near to Coasts where it is just too Marginal)

So if you are in Norfolk, E Suffolk and Eastern Parts of Essex yet again we are on a Knifeedge and we really have to accept that this year just might not be our year for Snowfall.

Of course Radar watching is the Key to tonight yet again (Another Late One DOH) But isnt it great to have Systems coming up from the SW That are giving us these types of Set-Ups, In Winters gone by this Rain would have just swept through and introduced 8-10c for the next few weeks.

A facinating Winter even though I have only had 1 Snow Event on Monday Afternoon

Will Update Later, Meto should give you a good Indication from their 11.05am Update as to where the UKMO Run thinks things will happen

Regards

Paul S

Posted
I think the next 2-3 days are going to be as complex as the last 2-3 (Eg A Forecasters Nightmare)

The situation tonight is a carbon copy of what happened N and W of the IOW-Wash Line last night but much further South East. The Only problem this time is how far North and East the next batch of Rain from the South Gets and where the battleground for the Colder air from the North and North East Intercepts it this time around. I have a sneaky feeling areas South and South East of London (YET AGAIN :o :):) ) Will do very well out of this

Some examples would be Surrey, Sussex,Kent etc but quite a lot of people will again miss out (Esp near to Coasts where it is just too Marginal)

So if you are in Norfolk, E Suffolk and Eastern Parts of Essex yet again we are on a Knifeedge and we really have to accept that this year just might not be our year for Snowfall.

Of course Radar watching is the Key to tonight yet again (Another Late One DOH) But isnt it great to have Systems coming up from the SW That are giving us these types of Set-Ups, In Winters gone by this Rain would have just swept through and introduced 8-10c for the next few weeks.

A facinating Winter even though I have only had 1 Snow Event on Monday Afternoon

Will Update Later, Meto should give you a good Indication from their 11.05am Update as to where the UKMO Run thinks things will happen

Regards

Paul S

It's amazing just how small these zones of snow are between having/not having, snow/rain. Let's face it we're hardly living in the worlds biggest country. I personally think we're 'owed' more substantial snow here on the coast when I hear the amounts other people have, it really hasn't delivered so far. All depends on the orientation of the front, is expected to stagger or clear through slowly? that's the only way I can see any decent amounts of snow falling.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
It's amazing just how small these zones of snow are between having/not having, snow/rain. Let's face it we're hardly living in the worlds biggest country. I personally think we're 'owed' more substantial snow here on the coast when I hear the amounts other people have, it really hasn't delivered so far. All depends on the orientation of the front, is expected to stagger or clear through slowly? that's the only way I can see any decent amounts of snow falling.

I think that during next week we will see the end of these lows tracking into the heart of the UK and putting eastern most areas on the wrong side of the polar front - hence the raw deal some eastern coastal areas have seen. I can't complain as I did well out of the easterly and just about managed to avoid the mild sector later on Monday. But I can imagine how frustrating it is for people in the extreme east of Kent, Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk etc to have rather missed out.

The trend is going to be I think for low heights to become entrenched to the east and south east of the UK as pressure rises to the west and eventually towards the north as well. On that basis I think people like you are Paul S will have more to cheer about. Another low to get out of the way for all of us to start next week, but after that things should be on the up *she says encouragingly*. Fingers crossed. :)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Interesting the BBC weather just shown the band of snow across the south-east extending northwards well in Cambridgeshire and he even mentioned Cambs getting snow tonight - this band has gradually moved north in every weather bulletin today. Could be another interesting night coming up. I've got a foot of snow at the bottom of my garden and 7-8 inches elsewhere. BBC didn't mention any rain today, although the radar has a band heading towards us slowly now. Hope it fizzles out before it gets here

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Totally nuts outside, just got up after radar / lamppost watch till 4am an average of 6-8 inches of even snow here in milton keynes city centre with more being forcast overnight and into tommorrow. Could it be the 3rd day of heavy snowfall this week. To good to be true if it is, we are getting spoilt now. If next winter turns out warm and wet theres gonna be alot of moaners around and nostalgics contemplating last winters snows.

Edited by SnowJoke

Posted

upto 6c with a dew point of 5.2,, mmm rain for me or next 24hrs again i think :)

Posted
I have a sneaky feeling areas South and South East of London (YET AGAIN :):) :o ) Will do very well out of this

Some examples would be Surrey, Sussex, Kent etc but quite a lot of people will again miss out (Esp near to Coasts where it is just too Marginal)

It's going to be a frustrating time for many as although we are only considering our corner of the UK on here, some will get snow and other won't.

This arrival (or not) of next lot looks like it's going to be down to lamppost watching and I think we should all be positive as at least for this area, almost everyone has seen something - and there is still more time left in the next few weeks. :)

I might be lucky as I drive inland from the coast to work tomorrow, but is it going to be enough to stop me getting in or will it be better on Saturday when I'm not working! :)

Totally nuts outside, just got up after radar / lamppost watch till 4am an average of 6-8 inches of even snow here in milton keynes city centre with more being forcast overnight and into tommorrow. Could it be the 3rd day of heavy snowfall this week. To good to be true if it is, we are getting spoilt now. If next winter turns out warm and wet theres gonna be alot of moaners around and nostalgics contemplating last winters snows.

Not all you have to watch out for:

Milton Keynes

Widespread Icy Roads

There will be icy stretches on roads and pavements where rain, sleet or snow has fallen onto frozen surfaces, especially those that have not been treated. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1003 Thu 5 Feb

Edited by Coast

Posted

i was rather hoping last nights rain would have washed away the icy mess outside, but oh no, its stubbornly remained, and is a nightmare to walk on. thankfully i'm working from home this morning. interesting scenario coming up but again very difficult to forecast for the south east. if it does snow it'll be the wetter variety making us the slushy southeast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
post-8647-1233825813_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825716_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825905_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825879_thumb.jpg

post-8647-1233825856_thumb.jpg

A few pics . . . road runs alongside water with no barrier, compacted snow on the road so its pretty dangerous out there at the moment

janet

Wow those pics are stunning!