Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Met Office

Scottish met office  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a scottish met office, or something similar?

• yes
    • no
    • unsure
    • other (if so, please post it)

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Welsh is on the increase, so English isn't "eroding" it. Frankly I cannot understand why everything needs to be in Welsh these days, seeing as though you all speak English anyway. It's not as if you can't understand, is it? Also, Wales is tiny. It has nowhere near the diversity of climate that Scotland has, and not only that, it's extremely close to Exeter anyway. I think it's fantastic that Welsh is on the increase btw, but I don't see why we have to see it plastered all over everything, from UCAS to the DVLA! The latter gives you all the instructions in English, and then asks if you'd like them in Welsh. A complete waste of money IMO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Welsh is on the increase, so English isn't "eroding" it. Frankly I cannot understand why everything needs to be in Welsh these days, seeing as though you all speak English anyway. It's not as if you can't understand, is it? Also, Wales is tiny. It has nowhere near the diversity of climate that Scotland has, and not only that, it's extremely close to Exeter anyway. I think it's fantastic that Welsh is on the increase btw, but I don't see why we have to see it plastered all over everything, from UCAS to the DVLA! The latter gives you all the instructions in English, and then asks if you'd like them in Welsh. A complete waste of money IMO.

Do only Welsh taxpayers actually pay for the costs of getting everything translated? If so then it wouldn't be half bad but somehow I doubt thats the case...

Posted

The only time that the bbc give an good (good not great) look at the scottish weather,is when we have our version of countryfile on a sunday called landward.We then get our own look at the week ahead allbeit a view from london,but in fairness a scottish view 3-4 mins of forecast instead of uk wide forecast.I have to say that it depends who is presenting the weather if it skirts over scotland quick or not. over all i would go for a full scottish six news with our own weather and that will shut us up until independance.

Posted
The only time that the bbc give an good (good not great) look at the scottish weather,is when we have our version of countryfile on a sunday called landward.We then get our own look at the week ahead allbeit a view from london,but in fairness a scottish view 3-4 mins of forecast instead of uk wide forecast.I have to say that it depends who is presenting the weather if it skirts over scotland quick or not. over all i would go for a full scottish six news with our own weather and that will shut us up until independance.

Now that is something I agree with. The orientation of the BBC maps are unfair, giving London a better viewpoint whilst shoving Scotland into insignificance. I think that you should have your own BBC News and forecasts but not your own Met Office.

Posted

So just because we can speak English we should use that language to conduct our daily lives? Many germans speak English do they go to the Weatherman and ask for it in English because they can speak it nope? Not everybody speaks English the vast majority have the abilitiy to but doesn't mean that they do.

English culture is still eroding Welsh culture if it wasn't for government support then the Welsh language wouldn't be on the increase therefore the more so called tax payers money that is spent developing the Welsh language then the more the increase. You say its a waste? Not to us here. But the tax system in the uk is all to cock and that's why independence is needed but that's another story.

The DVlA and UCAS very important. If I'm a welsh speaker don't i have the right to sort my driving liscence out and go to uniersity through the medium of welsh? Just because i can speak English this means i shouldn't have to want a Welsh one? Bollucks for some of us speaking Welsh is much more comfortable and easy, Why should i not have the same rights as English speakers just because i can speak English also?

Edited by adamjones416

Posted
So just because we can speak English we should use that language to conduct our daily lives? Many germans speak English do they go to the Weatherman and ask for it in English because they can speak it nope? Not everybody speaks English the vast majority have the abilitiy to but doesn't mean that they do.

Yes, but they aren't native speakers of English in Germany! ALL Welsh ppl are native English speakers.

You're very welcome to use Welsh and it's a great thing to have, BUT I would raise questions over wasting money putting instructions etc. into Welsh when they are already in a language that everyone can understand.

Posted
Yes, but they aren't native speakers of English in Germany! ALL Welsh ppl are native English speakers.

You're very welcome to use Welsh and it's a great thing to have, BUT I would raise questions over wasting money putting instructions etc. into Welsh when they are already in a language that everyone can understand.

I am not a native English speaker! I was monolingual until i was 7 years of age, As are many children in Wales. English is my Second language. Exactly the same as Germany. Most German have learnt English for the same amount of time as I, and even speak it better. Yet their allowed to conduct themselves in their language. But just because my language is a minority language in a state where a major language is spoken i should not have that right and ignore my language completely?

Posted

Give the Welsh and Scots and Irish what they want and while we're at it can we have a forecast just for the north of Watford because I don't like the South East bias on TV.

Better still let's have a midlands forecast and met office in case the notherners take too much tv time up. No! make it a west mids forecast because the east mids always get more snow than us!

Wait a minute! Don't like wolverhampton or Brum so make it a Black Country Met Office or how about a met office for each street or even each family, 'cept for the mother in law!

Full employment at last ... everyone is a forecaster!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Absolutely, and while we are at it, give everyone the independence they want and let them make their own mistakes, pay for them with their own money and quit their whining over a bloody met office. If you don't like it, do something about it, with the best will in the world, I doubt anyone on here has the power to build and equip and met office anywhere.

Posted
I am not a native English speaker! I was monolingual until i was 7 years of age, As are many children in Wales. English is my Second language. Exactly the same as Germany. Most German have learnt English for the same amount of time as I, and even speak it better. Yet their allowed to conduct themselves in their language. But just because my language is a minority language in a state where a major language is spoken i should not have that right and ignore my language completely?

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?type...=eng&to=wel

Some bits aren't translated properly and it probably won't be perfect but it's something!

Great post Dartmoor Matt. I can't even remember the reasons for the Scottish Met Office anyway!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Go on the internet, find a decent weather site ( something like this one!), copy the forecast. Go onto google and search for a translation site then paste the forecast and Blodwyn's your uncle!

Posted

AFAIK the UKMO and Ireland's Met office work very closely - they have to. Both need the measurements from buoys etc from each other. Also both are members of ECMWF and they need the measurements aswell to model the weather. Even if Scotland had it's own we would still work closely.

Posted

Will this topic ever end, has anyone who feels so strongly about scotland having a meto bothered to email the meto??

Posted

To all arrogant and ignorant posters saying to use an online translation, They are always incorrect as they cannot deal with grammar etc. I speak 5 languages and can prove this, Weird isn't it that me being bilingual in since i was seven has latter become multilingual? There's more to the world than English.