Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

First 80f Of The Year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

18th May

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hopefully not at all but that's just a personal preference. Realistically, June 19th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Sooner the better! :mellow:

I'd say May 29th at a total guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!

11th May - Gravesend (Essex).

Seasons

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I change to the 7th May

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Hopefully everyday between April 30th -3rd May in Guernsey, because me and the missus will be there :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

hasnt even reached 60f here :huh: lol

my first guess for first 60 of the year for cardiff is today

Posted

I'll say 2nd June as its my mothers birthday and it as gooda day as any!!

Posted
hasnt even reached 60f here :) lol

my first guess for first 60 of the year for cardiff is today

It hasnt here either. Our max temperature so far is 15.3C, which was back on March 16th!

I have little doubt that one will go this week though, along with 70F sometime in May.

We havent reached 80F here though since August 2006!

Posted

Yeah, as we go into May don't forget we are easily capable of surpassing 30C. I would guess that it would definately be in the first half of May, May 7th as I said earlier. At the moment it looks as if the south will remain fairly warm and dry for the coming weeks, the average for late April down here is about 16C so we aren't doing too bad :) although this kind of weather is fairly normal in late April.

As for 90F? I think it will be reached in early July in London area

• 5 weeks later...
Posted
Looking increasingly likely that it will be broken next week in the south :)

Lots of time yet for it all to go the way of the pear... Will be interesting to see what happens with the disturbance predicted for overnight Sunday into Monday. A lot will depend on whether that materialises and the impacts thereafter...

Sunday is looking like the warmest day of the year so far, will it be warm enough to break the 80F mark.... time will telll :)

Edited by Joneseye

Posted

I think Sunday has the likelihood of juicing a 24C perhaps, then the real chance of some decent temperatures is when the second high ridges in next week.

Later next week looks like a good bet for a chance of 80F.

ukmaxtemp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Still yet to breach 70f here, but we could well see both 70 and 80f being breached in quick succession.

Posted

Next week GFS gives us higher than 90f in Greece

But I think I'll wait the 100f to go to the beach :) , 90 is not warm enough for us to swim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Next week GFS gives us higher than 90f in Greece

But I think I'll wait the 100f to go to the beach :) , 90 is not warm enough for us to swim

Have you tried to walk on the sand at 90° - ow!, but I agree the water can be pretty chilly in the sea. I went to Lanzarote last year and the water was absolutely freezing, even in mid-summer.

You should try to swim in the water around here :) To be fair though around Irish sea the shallow water can mean inshore water temperatures of 27C, due to the shallow nature of the water.

I don't think 80°F will be broken here until July, but hopefully I'm wrong!

Posted
You should try to swim in the water around here :) To be fair though around Irish sea the shallow water can mean inshore water temperatures of 27C, due to the shallow nature of the water.

Stephen you have to be joking-1cm on a VERY hot day as the tide is going out in mid June-August is a POSSIBILITY but hardly warrants the comment you made.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Stephen you have to be joking-1cm on a VERY hot day as the tide is going out in mid June-August is a POSSIBILITY but hardly warrants the comment you made.

John,

Yes... it would have to be hot, (i.e. it can, has the possibility). In July 2006 when the hot spell was at its peak I went out taking water temperatures about 10 metres out into the corner by the Mersey Estuary as part of a second year university summer break project and the Irish Sea in New Brighton... the air temperature that day was 31C, (I think it was the 16th?), the water surface at 10cm below the surface was 27C. Although not common, it is frequent for temperatures around the extreme coastal sect to be around 23-25C in warm weather - this is important because people like to swim in those waters - also in deep summer the Irish sea water surface temperature model will prove my point...

Still the only way I suppose to convince you is that I think you will have to go on a hot sunny to check it out yourself John as you can also enjoy a pleasant day out if you do!

Its worth noting the extreme shallows of the Irish sea also go through extreme cooling in the winter, with temperatures of 3C possible in the same area.

But the whole point of this is not to fill a test tube - it's to reply to Jackets post, which of course was about the comfort of swimming in certain water temperatures. People only tend to paddle in this country, they tend not to go full on swimming in our waters, and that is largely because the warmest water in our country is of course on the surface of the sea (perhaps the top 10cm) unless you're brave

Posted

I'll be the first to predict the first 90F B) I think we might just get 90F in mid July in the London area :o

Posted
John,

I'll have to take your word for it Stephen; have you got the past data from the source you quote? I certainly would not dream of trying to swim in UK waters, never have since I grew up, apart from off the coast of Jersey which is a ? as its practically in French waters!

Cyprus and other parts of the Med, Asnesion Island;yes-UK- shudder!