Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are You A Secret Lamp Post Watcher ? (Snow)

stewfox

Posted
Everyone surely stands out side their house at 3am in their dressing gown to see if the rain has turned to snow ??.unsure.gif

Yes Yes Yes!!! Squinting as close as you can to the lamp on the front door step for the smallest speck of snow!!:blink:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Lamp post watching is the only way, other than going outside to see if it's snowing or not.

Annoyingly though, has anyone noticed the colour of the street lights have changed. From my house I can see the traditional orange coloured street lights, and also the new white street lights.

Not sure how the white is going to fair when looking out for snow.

Posted
I even watch for frost on the cars! Now there is a case for the asylum but then I think they have bigger windows there.:unsure:

OMG I do this LOLOL!!! Ever night for the last week hahahaa!!

Posted

i used to do this a lot when i was younger, it was especially tricky as the lamp post was at some distance and i had to strain my eyes for what seemed like hours sometimes. would also peer out of the letterbox at our light over the front door to see if it was snowing / sleeting / raining. used to drive my parents beserk. I think its a form of OCD, the love of snow, that descends this time of year. dont do it as much now, i have other obsessions....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

last time we had snow, I carefully aligned my curtains so that I could lie in bed and still lamp post watch.! I will be doing it all over again thurs/fri if all goes to plan smile.gif

Edited by MikeStanton

Posted

OMG I do this LOLOL!!! Ever night for the last week hahahaa!!

oh dear, i look for frost on cars as well. without even realising i'm doing it.

Posted
I think we should gather all the non-believers up together, and tie them to all the lamp posts of Britain until they believe!!!!! GOD BLESS LAMP POSTS, AND ALL WHO PERV AT THEM!!!! :unsure: :D

This has me absolutely wetting myself. I am being looked at like I have totally lost the plot. :):rofl::cray:

Perving at the post. Quality!!:)

Posted

Guilty, lamp post within distance of bedroom window.

Is waking up at midnight to 'have a look' normal - does anyone else get grief from their wife?

Edit - almost two years and only two posts, gotta stop lurking so much...

Edited by stormchaser.co.uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Guilty, lamp post within distance of bedroom window.

Is waking up at midnight to 'have a look' normal - does anyone else get grief from their wife?

I get on my own nerves, keep getting up & down all night looking out the window. My misses is used to it by now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I've come out of the closet and am now a 'lamp-post watch' campaigner, working towards a 'lampost watcher's' pride day (sometime in January obviously)yahoo.gif

Posted

My other half is used to it now with me too! I am constantly up and down even when I know 100% it's snowing outside just to make sure it's still falling :)

Posted

I've been a lamp post watcher since I was very little. We have one just outside the house which is great to use when it is snowing. Last year almost cost me my marrage because the constant head moving and swan necking really annoy her. Really hope to do some more lamp post watching this week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Yup, fraid so.

Have been accused of counting every flake before now, as soon as there's a covering I'm out with the camera too. Back in February I was wandering around the village at half four in the morning, it's magical the way deep snow silences everything, even more so when you're the only one around and it's all for you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The real deal is when you wake up in the middle of the night and 'just know' it's too bright in your room.

Left the light on maybe???whistling.gif

I do know what you mean btw, when the clouds are much redder so it's not totally dark - I remember 2nd February this year being like that, fantastic amounts of snow falling even if only 2-3 inches accumulated here.

Posted

I used to LOVE snow watch via a street light but sadly now where we live there are no street lights so it's either put outside lights on (and risk waking the kids and thus facing the wrath of the wife) or shine a torch out the window like some kind of demented bat(snow?) signal

Posted

Right i'm totally guilty of lamp post watching crimeswhistling.gif

It will be alot easier this year as i can sit in lounge on laptop (rather than big old pc) watching the radar and i can see my lovely lamppost without moving =bliss, Though the window xmas lights may have to go off early tomorrow night as they are too bright and slightly obscuring my perfect set up

So now all i have to do is wait for some lovely white flakes to start falling but like someone said earlier even when you do actually spot a flake, you still HAVE to watch the lamppost just incase it gets heavier or stop

My husband is quite used to me lamppost watching and thinks i'm mad but who cares ITS SNOWyahoo.gif

Posted

funny thread

but, yes, guilty, since i was a mere widdle twiglet.....

although the back garden security light makes it easier these days,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Ha some funny posts in here. If snow is forecasted i keep going out into the garden looking up for clouds waiting for it to snow, and yes i watch the lampost outside my house. If snow is forecast through the night i have trouble sleeping, keep wanting to look out the window and cant wait to wake up in the morning to find it white everywhere ha, Im such a big kid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I used to LOVE snow watch via a street light but sadly now where we live there are no street lights so it's either put outside lights on (and risk waking the kids and thus facing the wrath of the wife) or shine a torch out the window like some kind of demented bat(snow?) signal

Hello Rch 44

Yes I used to watch via the street light right outside my bedroom window. Alas this has now no longer as I have moved and there are no street lights nearby. I now have to curtain twitch and check car headlights....or put the outside light on..however I am liking your torch idea! ........very clever clap.gif