Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Are You A Secret Lamp Post Watcher ? (Snow)

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

In many recent winter seasons in the UK we appear to have had mild south westerly running for what seems months on end making a good lamp post watch a non starter.

However it appears with this new winter season now upon us the watching for that 'spec of snow' at 4am through the bedroom window under the street light across the road is back.

Is it rain/sleet or snow, grab the binoculars get your glasses out, stand outside? Drive 10 miles at night to get a 500ft height rise

How far do you go to see that flake?.

My partner says wait and see what's coming in the morning , madness !. wallbash.gif

Everyone surely stands out side their house at 3am in their dressing gown to see if the rain has turned to snow ??.unsure.gif

Posted

its such a rare event here but ive been up all night looking out at the lampoast outside pur house waiting for the first snow flake im just glad theres no houses oppisite couse i might have been arested by now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Has anyone ever had it where they are looking out their curtains at the lamp post and someone across the road looks out aswell and you kinda slowly put the curtain back across like nothing was happening? I have many a time :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

its such a rare event here but ive been up all night looking out at the lampoast outside pur house waiting for the first snow flake im just glad theres no houses oppisite couse i might have been arested by now lol

Have you tried looking in December and not July ?? mellow.gif

For those who don't have lamp posts outs side their house, stable lights will count.acute.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

I think us snow lovers should invest in one of these.. Our very own garden lamp post :cray:

http://www.deslamps.co.uk/firenze-7233-black-garden-lamp-post-22-metre-tall-p-3077.html

Posted

I ermm have a "friend" who thinks he may be addicted to errm lampost watching.

What advice can this thread give?

To him.

Actually if we're getting all upmarket about lamp size then I am actually looking forward to seeing what a blizzard looks like when viewed under the huge floodlights on the all weather pitch across the road from me - and yes the nutters would carry on playing in a blizzard :D

Posted

Oh I've been out at stupid times in slippers to see what's falling :D

Sorry for off-topic but:

How does the NW Radar determine whether PPN is Snow/Sleet ?

Does it just look at the forecasted conditions and weather station temp + dew?

Would like to know :)

Posted

I do it all the time. I try to watch the headlights on cars too as they zoom past.

At least the rain sometimes looks like snow in these instances - a good way for me to deny the fact that it's raining yet again rather than snowing (as was forecast).

Posted

we live in a little close shaped like a light bulb and the only street light is right in front of our house.....so yes I'm deffo a lamp post watcher :D:)

Posted

Oh I've been out at stupid times in slippers to see what's falling :cold:

Sorry for off-topic but:

How does the NW Radar determine whether PPN is Snow/Sleet ?

Does it just look at the forecasted conditions and weather station temp + dew?

Would like to know ;)

It goes by what the models are saying should be happening at that moment in time.. So it's usually accurate but sometimes it's not. Like I have seen snow falling when it says it's sleet and vice versa.

It goes by what the models are saying should be happening at that moment in time.. So it's usually accurate but sometimes it's not. Like I have seen snow falling when it says it's sleet and vice versa.

I usually find it underestimates precip type so that sleet on the radar is actually snow. Although I'm sure you are right and it can happen the "wrong" way round!!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

LOL just done it. Dry and cold but probably to warm for snow at the moment.

Posted

I even watch for frost on the cars! Now there is a case for the asylum but then I think they have bigger windows there.:yahoo:

Actually I am very lucky, I have a lamp post outside the bedroom window but that goes out at 1:00am so when I wake in the night I have to crane my neck to peer down to the corner of the road for the lamppost that stays on all night.:mellow:

So very seldom see snow but I look every time it is forcast.

Posted

My loft room has those flip down windows (the name escapes me), but I have been known to stand on the bed and stick my head out of the roof, just to check if it really is snow or sleet! Have a lovely view of the street light from that window as well. Guilty on all counts of lamp post watching.:mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I have a lamp outside the back door which i keep checking because we don't have street lights but it is the same thing although it drives the other half up the wall. I also get less and less sleep the better the chances of snow get so if we do get a snowy spell like febuary this year then i am knackered after about the third day.

I also get in my car just to check the windscreen for sleet traces ect! blink.gifshok.giftease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Has anyone ever had it where they are looking out their curtains at the lamp post and someone across the road looks out aswell and you kinda slowly put the curtain back across like nothing was happening? I have many a time :cold:

Many times! :D

Posted

Sometimes when there is snow due I get a horrible lamppost "paranoia" and find myself walking backwards and forwards up and down the landing every 5 minutes as my comp is in the back room and there is a lamppost directly across the road.

Sometimes there is a lady that gets undressed with her curatins open across the road from me too, but the snow is so much more exciting (I told her one day that the flash she saw from her bedroom window was lightening, but really I was secretly taking pictures of the lamppost and it's erm....snow) :cold:

I'm as nuts as the rest of you - when snow is in the offing I am a regular street light watcher, I also switch on the halogen lights outside for a better view and sometimes drive up to the Chilterns to see the deeper snow.

Once as a lad, one night, when a mini blizzard blew up I went outside in my slippers, pan jams and dressing gown to get a better look - I was most disappointed when it fizzled out shortly after that leaving just the odd flake but it was good whilst it lasted.

On New Years Eve 1979 I was the outside sergeant at Hemel Hempstead Police Station when it came on to snow heavily - lovely fluffy stuff - it was drifting quite well in a NE wind. All the vehicles had been "grounded" because of the weather conditions, except for mine - I was the sergeant and could give myself permission. Went up to the Chilterns along the top roads, steady 40 mph*, ploughing through drifts 12 to 18 inches deep - it was great, just like a frigate going through big waves with the water rushing over the bow. :cold:

*You get surprisingly good grip on white virgin fluffy snow.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted

Yeah, lamp posts are my friend. Been there, got the T-Shirt. Lamp post + Radar + Coffee = Ideal Evening.

Also, the windshield test. If you're not sure what is passing the lamp post, you can always hop into the car and verify by examaning what is splatting on the clear glass in front of you.

And yes I've drove 10 miles for an extra 500ft, but although it is nice to reach the snowline and see things turn white, it kind of leaves you feeling empty inside when you return to puddles.

My wife thinks I'm mental. I've even dragged her on snow hunts before.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

Yeah, lamp posts are my friend. Been there, got the T-Shirt. Lamp post + Radar + Coffee = Ideal Evening.

Also, the windshield test. If you're not sure what is passing the lamp post, you can always hop into the car and verify by examaning what is splatting on the clear glass in front of you.

And yes I've drove 10 miles for an extra 500ft, but although it is nice to reach the snowline and see things turn white, it kind of leaves you feeling empty inside when you return to puddles.

My wife thinks I'm mental. I've even dragged her on snow hunts before.

I think we should gather all the non-believers up together, and tie them to all the lamp posts of Britain until they believe!!!!!

GOD BLESS LAMP POSTS, AND ALL WHO PERV AT THEM!!!! :cold::cold:

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Many times! :pardon:

We're not overlooked where we are. Not that we're isolated, just that living in a row of tenements looking over sideways on houses has great advantages!!!

Posted

This thread is making me laugh and blush at the same time. Just 30 minutes ago I told my husband to enjoy my company in bed tonight because I'll be in the front room the rest of the week to watch for snowflakes in the streetlight.