Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Are You A Secret Lamp Post Watcher ? (Snow)

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Ive only just got on this forum and cant believe how many people participate in this almost addictive craziness.....it took me a while to work out what people were on about when they mentiones 'lamp posting' , but when I did I realised I wasn't a strange as my wife thinks, i get more excited about the snow than the kids.....does anyone else hate it when the snow settles and some little brat has decided to walk on the fresh snow on your driveway, rather than letting you have the first prints mad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yup hands up, but at least the wife is as bad as me and even if its the middle of the night we are both peering out the window or hunting around for batteries in the camera if there is even a hint of it settling.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Im a lamp post watcher too. I thought i was the only one who did it until i found out on nw that i wasnt alone! I know this is sad but sometimes i used to get the binoculars out to try to see a close up of the lamp posts further down the street to try to get the "bigger picture" ,although i had to do that very discreetly as that did look a bit dodgy to say the leastlaugh.giflaugh.gif

Posted

Next to my bedroom window is a flood light, so to check if its snowing i open my window, grabb the pillow, and wack the floodlight till it turns on.

Posted

I think theres something rather typicall about snow lovers, We love lamposts :cold: god what will i do when the council decides to turn them off? No more late night wonders up and down the road at half 3 am just because there is a layer of snow on the groud :)

Posted

Next to my bedroom window is a flood light, so to check if its snowing i open my window, grabb the pillow, and wack the floodlight till it turns on.

Hilarious ,the extremes we go to drinks.gif

Posted

I think theres something rather typicall about snow lovers, We love lamposts :cold: god what will i do when the council decides to turn them off? No more late night wonders up and down the road at half 3 am just because there is a layer of snow on the groud :)

they go off here at 12:30 in the winter and 1:30 in the spring time, not needed in the summer.

not back on till around 7am :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

My room is about 15 ft above the ground and has velux windows so you can clearly see the reddening sky + hear the patter of the snow - looking forward to the coming few evenings, though I'm unlikely to get any sleep with all the creeping around various windows to see if one of them is showing snow falling!

Also useful in the evenings is the landing out the back with the light that only comes on for 30 seconds when I do my special snowdance! I do feel a bit sad looking for light sources when everyone else my age is out partying (barring snowstorm1 etc on the forum) but I'm rather addicted to the thrill of wintry precipitation!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Hello group - my name is Andy - and i'm addicted to lamp post watching.

Can we have a group hug now please?

Welcome Andy,

Maybe we should start re-habilitating in the summer months ???

Posted

they go off here at 12:30 in the winter and 1:30 in the spring time, not needed in the summer.

not back on till around 7am :yahoo:

Yes every other one goes off here at half twelve too and all the ones in the parks and stuff but there is still one to grace me with welcoming snowflakes, and then i chuck any clothes on and wonder out with my thermometer, ruler and torch <_< Am i sad :drinks:?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Welcome Andy,

Maybe we should start re-habilitating in the summer months ???

nah, relapse rates are around 100% by the following wintertease.gif

Posted

or shine a torch out the window

Respect. <_<

I remember someone saying last Winter (or the one before) that, if he couldn't quite see if it was frosty or not, he went out into his garden and patted the grass to find out.

My own poor effort is that, if I stand in a certain position under my carport, then I can see the glow from two lamp-posts at once, therefore giving me an excellent chance of catching the earliest of flakes.

It is me who wakes up my daughters (17 and 21) in the night, if it's snowing, rather than them waking me.

Oh, that waking up in the morning with a white glow coming through the curtains............ :drinks::yahoo: :lol:

Edited by noggin

Posted

I love lampost watching. I will be spending most of the next few nights sat in my front doorway in my pajamas, wrapped up in a quilt staring out at the lampost at the end of the drive and wishing really really hard for just a little bit of snow (then a little bit more, and a little bit more.....).

Posted

The real deal is when you wake up in the middle of the night and 'just know' it's too bright in your room.

Ahahaha! Give that man a pat on the back!

Posted

I love lampost watching. I will be spending most of the next few nights sat in my front doorway in my pajamas, wrapped up in a quilt staring out at the lampost at the end of the drive and wishing really really hard for just a little bit of snow (then a little bit more, and a little bit more.....).

you might get locked up lol.

Posted

So now all i have to do is wait for some lovely white flakes to start falling but like someone said earlier even when you do actually spot a flake, you still HAVE to watch the lamppost just incase it gets heavier or stop

That's right. It is devastating to leave the lamp post unattended for 15 minutes to come back and notice it has stopped! Then you have the sheer hell of not knowing how long it snowed for? Just a minute? 14 minutes and 59 seconds? What? aargh!

My husband is quite used to me lamppost watching and thinks i'm mad but who cares ITS SNOWyahoo.gif

Indeed, our other halfs just don't understand do they?

Posted

and wonder out with my thermometer, ruler and torch :good: Am i sad B)?

Not at all. In fact, thanks for the tips! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

OMG this is nuts,as a child i used to spend hours wathing the lampost outside our house,then when i had to go to bed i used to sneak a torch upstairs and hold it against the window to see sleet or snow, it used to drive mum nuts. And yes now i also get in the car to see if any rain is turning to snow, its just now the missus thinks im nuts.

Posted

OMG this is nuts,as a child i used to spend hours wathing the lampost outside our house,then when i had to go to bed i used to sneak a torch upstairs and hold it against the window to see sleet or snow, it used to drive mum nuts. And yes now i also get in the car to see if any rain is turning to snow, its just now the missus thinks im nuts.

You're not nuts mate, SHE is. :drinks:

Hundreds of lamposters can't be wrong!