Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Posted

Just had a heavy shower at dusk of half crown flakes in old money which deposited about an inch. Very dry snow which just floated down and reduced visibility considerably. Ground frozen so sticking well. Sky still looks threatening so I suspect we will see more later.Currently 0c.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thats the thing Blitzen, I don' t trust this general snowfall picture.

Gut feeling from similar-ish experiences. Happy to eat my hat if not though, deep fried if need be :whistling:

Save some of that hat for me and I'll gladly eat it with you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Can you trust those precipitation charts though LS?

To be honest, no, yesterday's showers were, as I suspected based on what happened with precious easterlies, more intense than was shown. The models do tend to be a bit better when it comes to frontal precipitation, and they have certainly been more consistent in showing this. after the main band has passed the northerly showers are almost impossible to predict but I do think they have a better handle on the situation than yesterday. I totally understand your caution, though, as northerlies so rarely deliver here (oddly enough, they deliver quite often in November e.g. '05 and '08, but rarely in other months!!).

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My mother just reminded me of the time my father threw bits of newspaper out the upstairs window...You have to be a real snowfreak to fall for that one! :oops::oops: :blush: :blush: :rofl::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Hello

Those snow charts would seem to back up the 'triple point' moving south tomorrow. The longer term outlook looks great. It stays freezing cold next week with a possible reload easterly in time for 2010. Hope this verifies.

Frequent moderate snow/snowpellets after 2100h yesterday. There was slight blowing snow with gusty winds during these showers. It was still snowing at 0140hr, but fair by 055hr when i got up for work. Min temp -3.2C. Snow depth, 5cm at 0900hr. Intermittent slight snow, 1415-1545hr. Snow depths at 1500hr, still 5cm in garden but 2.5cm to 3cm on 'board' located in field near the house (very exposed site). Max temp since 0900hr, -0.3C an ''ice day'' at last.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

all eyes are on south England even on this board usually they issue warning well before the met-office but nothing at all is a strange situation :blush:

Posted

"My mother just reminded me of the time my father threw bits of newspaper out the upstairs window...You have to be a real snowfreak to fall for that one! :oops::rofl: :blush: :oops::rofl:;)"

And are you still a snowfreak? :blush:

Posted

And are you still a snowfreak? :whistling:

I'll always be a snowfreak, Gilly...My mother has 3" of snow in Bucks! :cold:

all eyes are on south England even on this board usually they issue warning well before the met-office but nothing at all is a strange situation :unknw:

Sod the South of England!!! :rofl:

Posted

a extract from from frosty039 on the model output discussion posted 20mins ago

We need the euros on board but the gfs is just prolonging the cold spell with no sign of a mild or even less cold breakdown. Scotland is in for a severe wintry blast during the next 4 days looking at the latest gfs, probably even worse than the southeast is currently experiencing..the lincolnshire wolds look like they are being blitzed with heavy snow showers at the moment according to the wonderful netweather extra radar.

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Did you just tell me to be patient? I am FEMALE, I don't do patient :unknw:.

Changed it for you, so you're now officially all woman - I hope the op wasn't too painful :whistling:

Posted

Changed it for you, so you're now officially all woman - I hope the op wasn't too painful :whistling:

Paul what's likely happening regarding weather warning for Scotland will netweather be issuing soon

Posted

Just to keep you lot of moaners up-to-date - here's the latest from the boss: :unknw:

"Quick update - moving to the new server is taking a little while longer than we'd hoped, but we are still hopeful of completing it tonight all things being equal.

Once over we'll be able to switch all the usual facilities back on.."

I think that that includes sex-changes??? :whistling:

Posted

John is putting one online shortly.

will that be before the met-office if confidence is high

Posted

It'll be when it's ready - don't know if / when the met will be doing one that's down to them, but John has said he's working on it and will have it online this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

If it's NW doing the sex changes, I'll do it myself thanks! 2nd thoughts, no, 'er indoors wouldn't be too pleased...

Had a good day out today, found some big snow showers towards Ullapool. Back home it's been sleet and rain... Maybe tomorrow pleeeease...

:):cold:

and no, still can't get the cheapo 'lite' to work, waste of money that was.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

The MetOffice UK update from 1615PM

Saturday:

A band of heavy rain, sleet and snow will move south across Scotland, reaching Northern Ireland and Northern England by dusk. Elsewhere bright spells but cold with scattered wintry showers.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Sunny spells Sunday, with snow showers across northern and western parts, then remaining unsettled, with showers or longer spells of rain, sleet or snow in many parts. Mostly rather cold.

Typically leaving every possibilty open ... rain,sleet, snow, wintry showers. And only "rather cold" into next week ???

Posted

If it's NW doing the sex changes, I'll do it myself thanks! 2nd thoughts, no, 'er indoors wouldn't be too pleased...

Had a good day out today, found some big snow showers towards Ullapool. Back home it's been sleet and rain... Maybe tomorrow pleeeease...

:):cold:

and no, still can't get the cheapo 'lite' to work, waste of money that was.

HC - everything is definitely working fine on the chart viewers, did you see this post earlier?

Posted

I was horrified this morning to see everything covered in a strange white substance and panicked thinking that the World was under some kind of Alien Attack.

Thank God for the non-stop, 24 hour news reporting that it was snowing, otherwise I never would've realised. :o :)

Posted

I was horrified this morning to see everything covered in a strange white substance and panicked thinking that the World was under some kind of Alien Attack.

Thank God for the non-stop, 24 hour news reporting that it was snowing, otherwise I never would've realised. :o :)

According to the REAL Radio weather we are in for lots of sleet tomorrow!!!!!

Posted

According to the REAL Radio weather we are in for lots of sleet tomorrow!!!!!

I'm not sure, but I think they have been a bit off a few times :)

Let's hope that lots of sleet turns into something else starting with 's' :o:)

Posted

Can't see much to complain about? (Regarding the snow forecast!)

Saturday:

A bright start but cloud and occasional wintry showers spread south, perhaps merging into a more prolonged spell of snow around mid-afternoon. Feeling cold with fresh northwesterly winds. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Remaining cold throughout with snow showers. The showers frequent and heavy on Sunday with drifting in strong westerly wind. Fewer showers, more sunshine on Monday and Tuesday with sharp frosts.

http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/st/st_forecast_weather.html

BBC forecasts going for up to 5-10cm of snow across Scotland on saturday, might be sleet on the west coast (I.e here) though.

Posted

hey folks been watching netweather forums for yrs so thot id join. :D im a bit surprised im in aberdeen and it hasnt really forecast much snow today but its been snowing here for the past hr pretty heavy and since about 3 lighty till now. but have noticed on met office hourly updates that north of aberdeen in rosehearty that its turned to rain as temps have risen. any1 think it will turn to rain here?