Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Probably a good opportunity for the novices (like me) to learn a lot more too! :cc_confused: I just rely on being familiar with my own area really but I suppose that's the sort of thing which would be valuable in contributing to a forecast.

Blitzen: the far Eastern forecaster.....

Mondy: The central eastern forecaster....

CMD: The far western forecaster....

Anyone else want to join up??????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Probably a good opportunity for the novices (like me) to learn a lot more too! smile.gif I just rely on being familiar with my own area really but I suppose that's the sort of thing which would be valuable in contributing to a forecast.

Indeed, the vast majority of weather forecasting knowledge I have came from the netweather forum, combined with some reasonable local knowledge e.g. easterlies deliver, northerlies don't. Hopefully there will be lots of interesting weather to discuss over the weekendsmile.gif .

LS

Lochgelly- far east?? I'm about 10 miles further east! Anyway, my territory is probably north Fife into Angus etc. Maybe some kind of Scotland-wide overview forecaster could be appointed? Let's see how it goes anyway.

LS

Indeed, the vast majority of weather forecasting knowledge I have came from the netweather forum, combined with some reasonable local knowledge e.g. easterlies deliver, northerlies don't. Hopefully there will be lots of interesting weather to discuss over the weekendsmile.gif .

LS

I would have said that easterlies were no use here and we got a dusting yesterday :) :) :) :) 55miles from Edinburgh. Imagine how much snow I will get 20 miles in from the west coast :) :) :) Off a very warm Atlantic...........

Posted

the far western forecaster, you wanna bet on that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I would have said that easterlies were no use here and we got a dusting yesterday smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif 55miles from Edinburgh. Imagine how much snow I will get 20 miles in from the west coast smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Off a very warm Atlantic...........

It does look good for you in the coming days. My forecast for tonight is that showers will eventually die away, but anywhere next to estuaries can expect some more snow showers. Very cold, with minima widely sub -3C, but a reasonable morning tomorrow for most central and southern parts of Scotland, though maxima will barely get above freezing away from coasts and perhaps north of Inverness, where it will be cloudy with a band of sleety snow working south throughout the day. By evening the precipitation band will reach further south, bringing a few hours of heavy snow across the central belt, though the exact timing and severity of this is very much debatable, as well as the possibility of the band dissipating before reaching the central belt.

Minima tonight:

ukmintemp.png

Maxima tomorrow:

ukmaxtemp.png

Precipitation band:

ukprec.png

:ukprec.png

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Anyhoo, anyone have any feedback on what to expect ah-lah 18z? :)

Posted

Just got back, all I can say is that it is bl**dy freezing, and the roads are ... well does the phrase "do not travel unless absolutely necessary" ring a bell yet ;)

we still have our snow lying from earlier and I've never seen our road quite so treacherous so early on in the year - we don't get cleared/gritted as a luxury but we do have a bin of sand which we can use ourselves.. so I think I'll be busy tomorrow :rolleyes: - that's what I like about all this it's the friendly neighbourly contact where everyone pitches in!

Posted

Still can't shake off the apprehension re tomorrows northerly direction though LS. Precipitation might skirt around us as it usually does. Just have to keep an eye on the radar I suppose. Northerly any good for you CMD?

Just got back, all I can say is that it is bl**dy freezing, and the roads are ... well does the phrase "do not travel unless absolutely necessary" ring a bell yet :(

we still have our snow lying from earlier and I've never seen our road quite so treacherous so early on in the year - we don't get cleared/gritted as a luxury but we do have a bin of sand which we can use ourselves.. so I think I'll be busy tomorrow :rolleyes: - that's what I like about all this it's the friendly neighbourly contact where everyone pitches in!

Yes, know what you mean. ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Can only basically concur with LS. The progged snow coming south for Friday into Saturday will probably certainly affect Northern and central areas. Whether it will do anything in the central belt/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh itself, then historically I'm dubious on that. In my experience its pretty well scraped dry by the time it gets down here. Expecting nothing from that for Edinburgh/SE to be honest (despite Rob McElwees Saturday graphic).

On the other hand there'll be evidence still hanging about from todays episode and that keeps things nicely seasonal whatever happens in the next 2-3 days. I can't say a Northerly has never delivered here in Embra toon, but its rarer that hens teeth in my experience (weather watcher from 1972 onwards)

Edit: Easterlys have often delivered here when they occur, so no contradiction in my mind that todays snow did happen ... and that the forecast weekend snow (for here anyway) probably won't.

Anyhoo, anyone have any feedback on what to expect ah-lah 18z? :rolleyes:

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Just got back, all I can say is that it is bl**dy freezing, and the roads are ... well does the phrase "do not travel unless absolutely necessary" ring a bell yet tease.gif

we still have our snow lying from earlier and I've never seen our road quite so treacherous so early on in the year - we don't get cleared/gritted as a luxury but we do have a bin of sand which we can use ourselves.. so I think I'll be busy tomorrow rolleyes.gif - that's what I like about all this it's the friendly neighbourly contact where everyone pitches in!

least you have a bin nearby. We don't have anything around here, however there has been no sign of any gritters (as we are on a bus route)nonono.gif and we had another shower not too long ago which is now covering the road outsidewhistling.gif . Your phrase definitely jumps to mind!!!

Clear skies at the mo, with the car outside temp showing -4c. Clouds still on the north-eastern horizon, so we might get another shower before tomorrow morning!

Posted

Still the gift that keeps on giving here in Leith. Stars were out 30 minutes ago ... but just heard snow grains rattling off the window and its coming down fine style again. Not going to break any snowfall records here but definitely looking at waking up to a nice crunchy white scene in the morning. Fantastic !

Posted

Can only basically concur with LS. The progged snow coming south for Friday into Saturday will probably certainly affect Northern and central areas. Whether it will do anything in the central belt/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh itself, then historically I'm dubious on that. In my experience its pretty well scraped dry by the time it gets down here. Expecting nothing from that for Edinburgh/SE to be honest (despite Rob McElwees Saturday graphic).

On the other hand there'll be evidence still hanging about from todays episode and that keeps things nicely seasonal whatever happens in the next 2-3 days. I can't say a Northerly has never delivered here in Embra toon, but its rarer that hens teeth in my experience (weather watcher from 1972 onwards)

Edit: Easterlys have often delivered here when they occur, so no contradiction in my mind that todays snow did happen ... and that the forecast weekend snow (for here anyway) probably won't.

I think this time is a bit different though - actual frontal snow as opposed to the usual convective showers. I think the Friday night event will be pretty weak, but Saturday's event does have a bit more potential with a much stronger front, with almost every gfs output showing it bringing at least 3 hours of heavy snow to central areas. Whatever happens, we won't know fully until it actually occurs, especially considering how rare frontal snow from the north is!

It appears to be snowing again, but since I'm not allowed out to check, and am not near the lampost, I cannot confirm this. Skiing forecast with Rob was hilarious, as is any forecast with Rob, but he appeared to suggest some snowfall across the central belt on Saturday.

Night all

LS

Posted

Can only basically concur with LS. The progged snow coming south for Friday into Saturday will probably certainly affect Northern and central areas. Whether it will do anything in the central belt/ Glasgow/ Edinburgh itself, then historically I'm dubious on that. In my experience its pretty well scraped dry by the time it gets down here. Expecting nothing from that for Edinburgh/SE to be honest (despite Rob McElwee's Saturday graphic).

On the other hand there'll be evidence still hanging about from today's episode and that keeps things nicely seasonal whatever happens in the next 2-3 days. I can't say a Northerly has never delivered here in Umbra toon, but its rarer that hens teeth in my experience (weather watcher from 1972 onwards)

Edit: Easterlys have often delivered here when they occur, so no contradiction in my mind that today's snow did happen ... and that the forecast weekend snow (for here anyway) probably won't.

Thanks for that by-tor. We appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet then? Took the dog out and it's absolutely beautiful out there tonight. The snow is sparkling with frost. Lovely.

Posted

Been a good-day Blitzen...

I don't have the excuse of a dog to get me outside ... but was there "the smell of snow" when you were out in it ? I don't know if theres any real basis for that or if its a childhood nostalgia thing. Certainly seems real enough to me !

Thanks for that by-tor. We appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet then? Took the dog out and it's absolutely beautiful out there tonight. The snow is sparkling with frost. Lovely.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Been a good-day Blitzen...

I don't have the excuse of a dog to get me outside ... but was there "the smell of snow" when you were out in it ? I don't know if theres any real basis for that or if its a childhood nostalgia thing. Certainly seems real enough to me !

Oh yes! snow does have a smell just the same as rain does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

morning all weather station is -4.1*c at present and all the snow we got yesterday between4 and 8pm is still there looks solid!latest gfs extends the cold till the 26th with a very mild southerly breakdown after that anything after tuesday and wednesday fi at mom and ensembles looking on the colder side.

looking forward to snow on saturday thru to monday and for once we are in firing line :)

Posted

-3C and no further snow since yesterday morning.......so just a slight patchy dusting. We will have to wait until the Northerly sets in and maybe we will have a chance of real snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Can anyone around Leith or Edinburgh give a roads update please as we have to travel shortly...

From TD106XD to EH6 7RG

Ta

Soutra doesn't look bad but I suspect there is a lot of black ice about this morning

Just got back, all I can say is that it is bl**dy freezing, and the roads are ... well does the phrase "do not travel unless absolutely necessary" ring a bell yet :o

That's just it though Snooz, there are so many people out there who don't think that the weather can affect them. There are also a lot of people who will assume that someone else (i.e. the local council) should lick every snowflake off the road so that they can complete their journey. It really winds me up when people are stupid enough to travel in bad weather and the emergency services have to rescue them. Weather watching should be part of the driving test.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

bloody freezing this morning had no further snow showers past 9pm last night here is my local stats

capturebn.png

Still can't shake off the apprehension re tomorrows northerly direction though LS. Precipitation might skirt around us as it usually does. Just have to keep an eye on the radar I suppose. Northerly any good for you CMD?

A northerly is rubbish here, unless it is a proper M&S non-toppler and there is a front :o Which we should manage.

Posted

Main roads in Leith fine, side roads (where I live anyway) are sheet ice from yesterdsys snow and flast nights freeze.

Can anyone around Leith or Edinburgh give a roads update please as we have to travel shortly...

From TD106XD to EH6 7RG

Ta

Soutra doesn't look bad but I suspect there is a lot of black ice about this morning