Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

I just e-mailed the met-office to find out why no warning out :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

They're all over the place on this one. I think like today, the best way to know whats happeing on those days will be radar and looking out the window. Today has already shown that any specific details of a Metoffice/Beeb forecast are often quite wrong 24-36-48 hours in advance.

I dont understand, the BBC local weather video for Scotland shows a massive amount of snow for East/Central Scotland on Sat then for the West on Sunday...why is there no warnings for it? This is pretty much a dead cert isnt it? I dont understand it at all. There is so much hype about SE England yet looking on the Sat images, it looks like the big showers are going to miss it completely and flow right down the channel!!

Can anyone shed any light on this snow event on Sat and Sun?

Posted

Sorry for my area it said sleet shower, only it just snowed for 2 hours solid after it snowing on and off all morning. The gritter just came, a bit blooming late i think, councils sleeping as usual.lazy.gif

weather warnings now out for NE England for 4pm onwards

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

And we have wet snow in Shawlands - albeit just odd flakes at the moment.

Sky is looking darned heavy.

As for the Met Office and Beeb: snow all over their faces.

Posted

I love it - no warnings, no mention on the BBC - and what happens! 2cms of lying snow on the western outskirts of Edinburgh and traffic chaos! Even in the city centre/Leith patchy snow is left 3 hours since the last heavy shower...

Same here, Shuggee, we had about 2 hours of blue skies (12-2) which haven't shifted it and now it's grey/dark again, but the showers have died down, per the radar, for our area anyway, it'll be icy before long and I don't fancy being of those who has to commute home, I do have to go out in about an hour so will see what the roads are saying to me :cold:

Anyway like I said I wasn't expecting this today anyway, thought it would be more SE,

PS: who mentioned forecasts changing .. any more details or links

PPS: just as I finish typing, it's started snowing lightly again

Posted

Me, up to this lunch time meto had my area as having heavy snow sat and sunday all day. Now they have changed it to heavy snow sat morning and thats it. grrrr was hoping to take kids out sunday for some fun

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted

Me, up to this lunch time meto had my area as having heavy snow sat and sunday all day. Now they have changed it to heavy snow sat morning and thats it. grrrr was hoping to take kids out sunday for some fun

bound to change again later tonight have a look after 6pm

Posted

latest future radar outlook may not actually need a met-office warning out? ps its snowing heavy again :cold:

viewimagepbx.png

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

Radar echoes looking less bright but more organised. Some areas could see snow off and on for a while yet it seems and with a little bit of elevation in E.Lothian, Fife, and Lanarkshire, Embra suburbs & hilly parts og town ... some folks could do pretty well before the nights out. Keep us posted. Snowing here in Leith again as I type but not feeling we'll get a repeat of this mornings heavier shower activity.

Posted

rain today just now using precipitation type radar showing snow showers

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

It's fair chuckin' it doon here in central Fife at the moment. Big fluffy flakes! Only getting a few minutes between showers now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Blitzen am just doon the road in cowdenbeath :yahoo: nice day for it eh?

Wonderful day Snowlover2 Great to have a neighbour along to share the rollercoaster!

Posted

I only have Leith as my benchmark. Streets here mostly wet but bits of snow lying about inappropriately like one of these bad TV movies where they make artificial snow and scatter it about randomly.

Dunno if the shower activity will keep going the next 6-12 hours, seems very intermittent but in the higher parts of town (Liberton where the in-laws stay) they say its just "white" (maybe a cm or so)

Posted

I only have Leith as my benchmark. Streets here mostly wet but bits of snow lying about inappropriately like one of these bad TV movies where they make artificial snow and scatter it about randomly.

Dunno if the shower activity will keep going the next 6-12 hours, seems very intermittent but in the higher parts of town (Liberton where the in-laws stay) they say its just "white" (maybe a cm or so)

OOH My mother lives in Glimerton.

Posted

Must say i was very surprised earlier..fell asleep on the couch..woke up with the wean coming in from school.

Shes like..have ye seen the snow ?? looked out and theres a proper covering so it must have been belting it down earlier.

Still snowing just now and the sky looks all that pink way when there is more snow coming. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Amazing day here! Just an hour after Carol's prediction of light rain showers, snow began to fall. It was fairly heavy in Cupar, lying easily on wet ground, but with a better base of black ice here we managed 7 cms of snow!! Brilliant, and the met still refuses to acknowledge this. Yet again, when a snow event affects the southeast, everywhere else is ignored, until during or after snow has fallen. Many people around here were taken back, though my snow rampings meant my family were less surprised it came off than me! Still falling moderately now, and the met office icons show snow all through the night here (though I'm highly sceptical of their forecasts here!). Well done to all those who got snow and I'll post my pictures later on.

Keep on lamping, the snowfall has only just begun!!

LS