Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Posted

Im in Wishaw, North Lanarkshire and we have 3 to 4cm, totally unexpected after checking the weather forecasts online last night and it's still snowing light just now.

Thanks. Yeah, that is quite exceptional, especially as the BBC forecasts had you down for getting a nice sunny day. I think they have a serious problem forecasting snow in Scotland from easterlies when the southeast has snow risk as well! To be fair, even I didn't expect quite as much snow as we got today but the constant unneccesary caution they use by forecasting light rain showers is totally erroneous and unforgivable. They need to do better than this, most members of the forum could've produced a more accurate forecast today!

LS

In all fairness it was just a wee shower, tried uploading a pic of it but the forum doesn't like the format, may try later.

It was sunny most of the day here, just a few clouds coming through from the east and one which hit the bullseye :)

You can actually see quite clearly on the radars the snow moving across the south of the city - although there does look as though there is a shower just now heading more to the north.

I'm watching that shower too, it may just bump it's way over to me, like the one earlier!!!

Edit: Just checked radar, no chance that shower is either going to come this way or make it this far :good:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

post-9298-12610748688905_thumb.jpg

post-9298-12610749059896_thumb.jpg

Walk back from the bus stop

post-9298-1261074926504_thumb.jpg

Garden

post-9298-12610750500386_thumb.jpg

Car park

post-9298-12610750962512_thumb.jpg

Snow on window

Will post more later on in depths are much better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

I've actually got 2 snowboards. One in my garden, which is rather sheltered and the other one in the field just to the north of the house; this one is exposed to the wind and low sunshine. At 1500hr, there was 3.5cm of snow on this board.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Where abouts are you snow1975?

LS

I am just a couple of miles south-east of you. Baintown, 130m asl. I measure my snow on a ''snowboard''. It is 40cm square, 1cm deep and made of rough wood. I've placed it on my grass close to my rain gauge. At 1500h, i measured an average of 4cm, max 4.5cm.

Nearby towns of Leven, Methil and Buckhaven have no lying snow. Whereas, there is 3'' of snow at 200m, 1km north of here.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Lying snow here in Kilmarnock :wallbash: Just a covering though!

What a fantastic day. At work in Edinburgh there was a heavy shower this morning which covered eveything then melted. There were a few heavy showers after this but nothing major, then the commute home at 4 - Very heavy snow with snow settling on the mate all the way to East Glasgow. 10-20mph the whole way and no weather warning from the met :whistling:

Posted

anyone have an idea of what the weather will be like overnight? In Fife? lol i am hoping i wake in the morning and we have loadssssss wishful thinking lol.laugh.gif

I wish i could read all the charts etc but i don't even know which ones you are all looking at.

Posted

anyone have an idea of what the weather will be like overnight? In Fife? lol i am hoping i wake in the morning and we have loadssssss wishful thinking lol.laugh.gif

I wish i could read all the charts etc but i don't even know which ones you are all looking at.

I can't read charts, but intend to look at the guides on the forum in the future :)

I find the UK Precipitation Type charts easiest to read :) Key at the side reveals all :whistling:

Link. Select Map Type > UK Precipitation Type :)

Edited by snowmess

Posted

I can't read charts, but intend to look at the guides on the forum in the future smile.gif

I find the UK Precipitation Type charts easiest to read smile.gif Key at the side reveals all whistling.gif

Link. Select Map Type > UK Precipitation Type smile.gif

Thank you, taking a little peek. :whistling:

Snowing again here

Posted

There were a few heavy showers after this but nothing major, then the commute home at 4 - Very heavy snow with snow settling on the mate all the way to East Glasgow. 10-20mph the whole way and no weather warning from the met lazy.gif

I was on the mate west bound about half 3 and the snow was lying pretty well on the surface. The snow falling passing the hart hill/junction 5 was very heavy, i think that part of the mate is like 850-900ft ASL so i guess thats why it was worse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

well we're high and dry up here, or at least only damp and cool mostly. the lowest snow i saw today was at about 150m asl near garve. dunno where peter t is but i don't think inverness is at all white - yet!! saturday looks like agood bet though :whistling::):):):):)

edit - black isle, that is - why's this not showing on the left?

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Had two moderate showers of pellets and one of dendrites (larger snowflakes) with a persistant flake or two adding 0.5cm to my snow depth, taking it up to an even 3 inches in the garden.

Posted

Had two moderate showers of pellets and one of dendrites (larger snowflakes) with a persistant flake or two adding 0.5cm to my snow depth, taking it up to an even 3 inches in the garden.

Flurrying again here :D

What do you think the chances are for more snow overnight central Scotland? (With you being an experienced member and all :))

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi peeps, no snow in Sneckie but some sleet earlier...

Server probs again, so some features aren't running. :lol:

Posted

Flurrying again here smile.gif

What do you think the chances are for more snow overnight central Scotland? (With you being an experienced member and all smile.gif)

Thanks, but I did only join 9 months ago!!

I reckon there will be a few heavier showers moving in across the central belt, though most showers will be concentrated right on the east coast, with the risk of showers decreasing from the northeast southwards throughout the night. In terms of detail, I have no idea, but it does look like there should be some more snow showers for places south of Aberdeen and east of Falkirk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Looks like the triple point will pass over central Scotland/Fife early on Saturday. http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack1.gif

The light snow/snow pellet showers continue here this evening. The snow cover has turned crunchy/crispy underfoot.

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Loads of hail and a few flakes of snow but thats all here in Carnoustie. Can confirm Cupar's snow today, son at Elmwood, he couldnt believe nowt here!!!!

Mandy x:closedeyes:

Posted

Looks like the triple point will pass over central Scotland/Fife early on Saturday. http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/brack1.gif

The light snow/snow pellet showers continue here this evening. The snow cover has turned crunchy/crispy underfoot.

Polar Low set up in that chart - just ya watch! :-)