Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 2

Methuselah

Posted

louise lear said N,Ireland and Scotland can expect heavy snow over the weekend as she was being interviewd...BBC 24

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Amazing day here! Just an hour after Carol's prediction of light rain showers, snow began to fall. It was fairly heavy in Cupar, lying easily on wet ground, but with a better base of black ice here we managed 7 cms of snow!! Brilliant, and the met still refuses to acknowledge this. Yet again, when a snow event affects the southeast, everywhere else is ignored, until during or after snow has fallen. Many people around here were taken back, though my snow rampings meant my family were less surprised it came off than me! Still falling moderately now, and the met office icons show snow all through the night here (though I'm highly sceptical of their forecasts here!). Well done to all those who got snow and I'll post my pictures later on.

Keep on lamping, the snowfall has only just begun!!

LS

7cms????????? Lucky . Oh its snowing again drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

had a light dusting this afternoon , with hail and snow showers throughout the day , temp is at 0.4C the now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

I usually take the opposite of whatever these folk say. They'll consider themselves correct if it snows anywhere up here in that timeframe.

They missed what happened today (pretty inexcusable given the synpotics) - and nor have they even acknowledged it yet !

So ... pinch of salt for the weekend as always ;-)

louise lear said N,Ireland and Scotland can expect heavy snow over the weekend as she was being interviewd...BBC 24

Posted

what does it mean to be lamp post watching?

Looking at a lamp post light to see if its started snowing. Or in my case keeping looking time and time again to see if its started, still snowing, how heavy, if its turning to sleet/rain etc. etc.

Posted

what does it mean to be lamp post watching?

Not 100% sure myself but i presume it means watching the orange lamposts as you can see the flakes of snow falling easier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

7cms????????? Lucky . Oh its snowing again drinks.gif

7cms on the grass, about 5 on the wall, but it's snowing heavily as well here with the radar showing few signs of the snow stopping - snowday tomorrow???

It does look like northeast Fife has done better than most other places today, but hopefully we'll all see plenty of snowfall in the coming days!! Definitely a good base for late tomorrow and Saturday onwards as I doubt it'll melt at all tomorrow!!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: COLD AND SNOWY

driving back from kilmarnock and it was snowing heavy ,only lying on the grass tho unexpected bonus as we were to be dry today the radar showing more showers lining up across from edinburgh in our direction temp currently 1.2 :clap: *c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Snow and snow pellets on and off since before 0800h; just occasional light snow flurries now. Heaviest snow with big flakes was at 1015hr.

The snowline is around 80m asl locally. Above this level the snow depth increases rapidly; it is 3'' deep at 200m, 1km north of here.

Meanwhile, there is nno snow lying less than 2 miles away in places like Leven, Methil and Buckhaven.

At my station at 1500hr, 100% cover, 4cm deep on snowboard, which is placed on grass close to my rain gauge.

7cms on the grass, about 5 on the wall, but it's snowing heavily as well here with the radar showing few signs of the snow stopping - snowday tomorrow???

It does look like northeast Fife has done better than most other places today, but hopefully we'll all see plenty of snowfall in the coming days!! Definitely a good base for late tomorrow and Saturday onwards as I doubt it'll melt at all tomorrow!!

LS

Glad to hear you got some good snow, we even managed a good dusting here which is pretty amazing, I'm 15 miles west of Glasgow!!!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

heavy snow falling again :clap:

Posted

Not 100% sure myself but i presume it means watching the orange lamposts as you can see the flakes of snow falling easier.

But we are part of a trial with white street-lights hehe :lol:

----

Still flurries now and again here, should hopefully be a nice weekend with snow :)

Posted

get yourself up cathkin mate mad up there :lol:

used to live up trossachs road in the 80s wish i still lived there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Glad to hear you got some good snow, we even managed a good dusting here which is pretty amazing, I'm 15 miles west of Glasgow!!!

Thanks. Yeah, that is quite exceptional, especially as the BBC forecasts had you down for getting a nice sunny day. I think they have a serious problem forecasting snow in Scotland from easterlies when the southeast has snow risk as well! To be fair, even I didn't expect quite as much snow as we got today but the constant unneccesary caution they use by forecasting light rain showers is totally erroneous and unforgivable. They need to do better than this, most members of the forum could've produced a more accurate forecast today!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Amazing day here! Just an hour after Carol's prediction of light rain showers, snow began to fall. It was fairly heavy in Cupar, lying easily on wet ground, but with a better base of black ice here we managed 7 cms of snow!! Brilliant, and the met still refuses to acknowledge this. Yet again, when a snow event affects the southeast, everywhere else is ignored, until during or after snow has fallen. Many people around here were taken back, though my snow rampings meant my family were less surprised it came off than me! Still falling moderately now, and the met office icons show snow all through the night here (though I'm highly sceptical of their forecasts here!). Well done to all those who got snow and I'll post my pictures later on.

Keep on lamping, the snowfall has only just begun!!

LS

Have you really got 7cm of snow in Freuchie????

Posted

theres 4 to 5cm up here cathkin area south glasgow, absolutely nothing in glasgow city though i am at around 700 feet above sea level though.Cheers

Scott

ps chucking it down again could be a good weekend here possibly 20cm+

Edited by scott_anthony_glasgow

Posted

Thanks. Yeah, that is quite exceptional, especially as the BBC forecasts had you down for getting a nice sunny day. I think they have a serious problem forecasting snow in Scotland from easterlies when the southeast has snow risk as well! To be fair, even I didn't expect quite as much snow as we got today but the constant unneccesary caution they use by forecasting light rain showers is totally erroneous and unforgivable. They need to do better than this, most members of the forum could've produced a more accurate forecast today!

LS

I'm surprised the Met Office haven't issued more early warnings for Scotland as there looks as though there could be quite a bit of snow for some parts and would be helpful for those with travel plans. Not unusual though for us to get late warnings.

theres 4 to 5cm up here cathkin area south glasgow, absolutely nothing in glasgow city though i am at around 700 feet above sea level though.Cheers

Scott

ps chucking it down again could be a good weekend here possibly 20cm+

You can actually see quite clearly on the radars the snow moving across the south of the city - although there does look as though there is a shower just now heading more to the north.

Posted

Have you really got 7cm of snow in Freuchie????

Yep, less in Cupar and 5cm on hard surfaces but 7cm recorded on the grass and I can definitely vouch for the trees etc having the coverage you would expect for that depth of snow. It did do particularly well today though, with the hills to our southwest stalling snow showers over us for longer while we were far enough inland for it to fall as snow from 8.30am, which is why Cupar got a bit less. Nonetheless, I am a bit surprised myself that we got that much and it's still going moderately but we had similar depths to this on the 2nd February from a similar setup so I guess it is to be expected.

Where abouts are you snow1975?

LS