Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I have given up all hope. I saw absolutely no snow from this cold spell and now it's ending. dry.gif It's raining now and milder air is pushing in. I'm never expecting anything ever again. I'm not wasting time and energy on what's never going to happen. mad.gif

Happy Christmas everyone in Ireland anyway!! drinks.gif

I sometimes think if the time spent on analysing models was given over instead to learning German or French, and then one just moved to the continent, it would get rid if a lot of misery / disappointment!

Posted

I sometimes think if the time spent on analysing models was given over instead to learning German or French, and then one just moved to the continent, it would get rid if a lot of misery / disappointment!

True! I already speak both those languages to near fluency actually!! So maybe I should pack up and go! clap.gif

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Well temps are -1.4c here now expecting some snow on the next half hour which will lower temps a little I hear donegal has a whiteout!

Posted
  • Location: Stewartstown (51m asl) , N.Ireland. (In Dazzling Dazza Land)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Well an official White Christmas here. Just had a 20 minute snow shower and am expecting more this evening.

Posted

The main band has passed here now it seems.... it snowed off and on without getting overly heavy for about 40 mins.

All in all quite disappointing to say the least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Did any of you guys break your all time records last night?

My all time record is -10C and I'm very very surprised to see Ireland cop such cold!

Posted

My all time record is -10C and I'm very very surprised to see Ireland cop such cold!

The nearest official weather station to me is in Castlederg, and it recorded a minimum of -10.5 last night and the conditions there are similar to they are here.

The only other time I can remember it being as cold and possibly colder was from the Christmas 1995 event. It snowed heavily on Christmas day, and dumped a good 7 inches. It lay for a week and during that week the temperature was similar to what was recorded last night if not colder. I still remember the ITV weather forecast during that period, warning of temperatures of -13c in parts of N. Ireland.

Posted

My Minimum last night was -4.7 and that was at 09.30 this morning.

Temp has been below freezing all day except for the last hour. Currently at 1.7 and the frost on the trees is now dripping through!

Was out the back earlier and heard a strange sound. Looked up and saw 8 white geese flying in formation heading roughly west-north-west.

Not sure if this is going to be snow when it hits here. Thinking more on the lines of sleet rain. The ground is still frozen though and this has been a very impressive run of cold weather!

Who else had the post lunch nap? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I'm heading for an post dinner nap now, but party goers downstairs disrupting me.

Currently raining here at 3.7c (temp has rose 1c in the last 2 hours.)

Posted

well snowed here for around 30/45 mins and lay still laying sky is clearing and temp is -0.5c hopefully we should get another good frost and no warm weather tomorrow!

Posted

Can confirm we got light rain with that weather front passed over but 13 miles up the road in Carnlough and Glenarm it was snowing heavy. Needed the heavier precip to fall for the snow. Bit hit and miss

Posted

Yep, I did (since I have been recording for the past few years). Overnight low was -8.5C last night Stephen, the previous night was -7.2C which was my record and breaking it the very next evening was quite an achievement!

Posted

Yea it has been very cold in Northern Ireland - No problems tho the road service did a great job keeping all main routes open.

Posted

Certainly some significant cold in this past while.

In terms of minima, they are the coldest since the fairly severe cold spell of December 2000.

As far as I have seen, -11.1 was recorded at an NRA (National Roads Authority) point over the past few nights.

Heads down now also for the coming week, Ireland is looking, based on current guidance as of tonight, very favourably placed for further wintry weather and very low temperatures.

In particular, the midlands and southern & southeastern areas are at risk of a snow event as we head into next week.

Fingers crossed & Merry Christmas

SA :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

overnight low of -1.4c, currently 1.3c with a slow thaw taking place. cant see it being mild today, just a little less cold. :cold:

Posted

Currently 2.3c

Overnight minimum of 0.6c

Only seemed to get rain/sleet from last nights front.

All eyes now to any wintry showers that pep-up and next weeks Similar Northerly blast.

Posted

Looks like the east/south east will fair better with next weeks cold outbreak am I right?

I wouldn't be too sure, I think all areas will see favourable conditions at some point.

The North and East will see best conditions from the NEsterly

The North and West from the NWsterly

The South from the battle between mild and cold air.

I'm just very surprised at how this winter is panning out so far....its absolutely amazing, we thought we'd never top last year this year, here we are again with even better conditions than last year.

Posted

I wouldn't be too sure, I think all areas will see favourable conditions at some point.

I'm just very surprised at how this winter is panning out so far....its absolutely amazing, we thought we'd never top last year this year, here we are again with even better conditions than last year.

opps lol i didnt mean the east and south east exclusivly :( I only meant as in we got hardly any snow here last week and would fair better if this next cold outbreak were to happen :)

Edited by BlackHoleSun

Posted

yes the past cold spell was amazing with -4c maxes and -10c mins!!!!!! though it is a real disapointent now as everything is melting below 200 m still loads though temp max today was 2.4c now 0.6c and has been for ages this cloud better move to give us a frost am excited for tomorrows frost to see if we make a -6c which is possible ! :drinks:

Posted

Getting a sleety/snow shower here. Didn't expect that tonight. Metoffice forecasting snow showers tonight

Posted

I think apart from the snow the Ice on it's own would of made a great xmas anyway. So funny walkin up from town tonight with people falling on the black ice including myself!