Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Ireland Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

The warnings from that site or quite poor to say the least all over the christmas period!! That low is not going to get anywhere near us and the snow showers not enough time for the north eastly to convect across the irish sea maybe one or two showers thats it 1mm of your lucky!!

The warning for tonight was spot on, Antrim had freezing rain this evening.

The heavy snow warning for Christmas day was also correct, altho a few places that the warning was issued for only had heavy rain/sleet.

Anyway see what comes of it. Hoping for a bit more snow, Most away from last weeks event.

Edited by jello

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The front has now arrived and I've got light sleety rain. Temperature is 3.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

The front would not need to reach that far North anyhow, you'd more than likely see heavy showers ahead of the band that get pulled away from the Main band. I looked at the models last night, this whole week just gets colder and colder right up to Sunday. Main precip risk at the moment is the current band in Southern areas, but I'm positive that there will be a bit of precipitation around as we have LP to the SE and the NE with quite a messy HP starting to build in the atlantic to our West...which then transfers very slowly East moving us from a N/NE wind to another E/ESE.

Wether we get snow or not, this spell is remarkable in its length......the longest cold spell I remember was the 10 day 1995 spell over Christmas. Although we had more lying snow from that, I've seen more frost and ice this month than I seen in last years entire winter.

Posted

Rainfall radar as rather surprised me there showing Snow over Counties Antrim and Derry. Precip looks very light!

It's a bit north of my location.

Any confirmed snow anywhere.

p.s. It's very quiet on here today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

hi baltic regions, yes apparently its snowing heavy in roscommon town, but not sticking. its more sleety rain here and much lighter. temps are dropping, currently 1.4c. if ot gets any lower, it should turn to snow.

Posted

It's 3.1c here and we have rainy sleet.

Has to be my least favourite weather. Sleet. Make your mind up and either snow or rain. It's cold, gets you wet and dampens the spirits!

Outlook shows things are going to be getting a fair bit colder from here on in though.

Fantastic winter so far!!!

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Quite Balmy here tonight but a biting and quite gusty Easterly wind.

Current Temp: 4.2c

Posted

Getting some light snow here in antrim.

Getting light rain here in Jordanstown and a tempt of just over plus 4. Can't see any snow over the next 24 hrs here, despite what RTE, UTV, and the BBC are claiming. Our best hope is for snow showers later in the week, when it does seem certain to turn a lot colder. Being near the East coast and in the lee of Knockagh, it's not beyond the bounds of possibilty, although this latest cold blast does look increasingly to be just cold and dry.

Edited by Peter Henderson

Posted

Just watch out for people ramping rain to sleet and sleet to snow in some of their reports! Not accusing anyone, just something to bear in mind.

lol, sorry that made me laugh

Posted

Well jello did get any of that 10-15cm snow yet!!!!whistling.gifwhistling.gif

No, but im sure the hills got some around here, rain/sleet down here for a few hours.

OH NO, wait a minute a big blizzard has started, cant see out of the window its that bad......

Edited by jello

Posted

Ach sure its all good craic and taken well as any banter should be!

Pomeroy Snow: I'm gonna go read this General Model Output Discussion and see what they're all "creaming themselves" about.

Damn near fell off me seat with that comment!

:D:)

Posted

Lack of activity in here pretty much sums up what we are getting in Ireland at the minute.................................... not a lot.

By the time it is cold enough for snow, the precipitation as moved on.

Posted

Still no snow in Jordanstown, just spits and spots of rain.

This is really patheitic to be honest. Anyone who can remember back to 62/63,or 68/69, 78/79, 81/82 for that matter, will realise that this current cold spell is tame, tame I tell you. 1 brief spell of snow Sunday week back, which was largely gone by Monday. Hardly a classic winter in my books. Really just average. We had better snow events in the early noughties to be honest (2000/01 and 2001/02) and around Christmas time as well.

Edited by Peter Henderson

Posted

Still no snow in Jordanstown, just spits and spots of rain.

This is really patheitic to be honest. Anyone who can remember back to 62/63,or 68/69, 78/79, 81/82 for that matter, will realise that this current cold spell is tame, tame I tell you. 1 brief spell of snow Sunday week back, which was largely gone by Monday. Hardly a classic winter in my books. Really just average. We had better snow events in the early noughties to be honest (2000/01 and 2001/02) and around Christmas time as well.

I completely agree. However, I think this winter so far is the worst for ice that I've ever known. The ice has been incredible here in Dublin and I know other parts of Ireland have had it even worse. The amazing thing about the ice is how severe and long-lasting it was. It hardly ever seemed to melt from day to day, even despite rain falling from the sky. Weird!

But as for snow, this winter has been a damp squib to say the least. I've had no snow whatsoever, apart from a light dusting on Xmas morning.

Edit: I also think this winter in Ireland is tame so far, when all things are considered. I feel as though I've been led down the garden path with all the excitement that had been around 2 weeks ago. I need to remind myself that the whole thing was getting ramped up for Britain. Here in Ireland, the scene is very different. I'm not expecting anything much from this winter anymore.Part of me is looking forward to a return to mild weather as I'm getting sick of the miserable drizzle and cold.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

Yep, noticed some freezing rain last night here as well but we're completely ice free today.

Ireland as a whole really doesn't do well out of an easterly. The north generally gets snow if Western Scotland gets it, and usually on a North Westerly, sometimes even a Westerly if it's returning maritime polar air. Still, you never know. The northerly could turn unstable and we could get a lot of showers, sez I, optomistically.

By the time it is cold enough for snow, the precipitation as moved on.

That's the impression I get.

Posted

If there's an northerly, the north gets snow. If there's a northwesterly, the north and west get snow. If there's an easterly, the east might get a few tame flurries or else just rain showers. Dublin is jinxed as far as snow is concerned!!

Posted

If there's an northerly, the north gets snow. If there's a northwesterly, the north and west get snow. If there's an easterly, the east might get a few tame flurries or else just rain showers. Dublin is jinxed as far as snow is concerned!!

Don't worry fear sneachta, the snow is coming to Dublin thursday onwards and it's just going to get colder and colder over the country, after tommorrow.

Last feb dublin got a good bit of snow, 6 inches in some parts.This time round we are in a much better position because current model output shows no end in sight for cold, with

numerous chances of snowfall

along the east coast over the next week or so.

I reckon the eastern half of the country will have come to a stand-still by Monday evening. I really think this is the big one and a long one. Have you seen the forcasts by met eireann

on RTÉ recently??? They have said we are about to see record breaking cold, chances of major snowfall events and this will be the coldest it's been in years!!! They are usually very conservative and cautious about what they say!!!!!

Dan

Edited by SNOWPLOUGH

Posted

Have you seen the forcasts by met eireannon RTÉ recently??? They have said we are about to see record breaking cold, chances of major snowfall events and this will be the coldest it's been in years!!! They are usually very conservative and cautious about what they say!!!!!

Morning All, yes Snowplough had to laugh last night when the RTE forecaster at 9.30 said thatthis is the longest snow spell since.............. and couldn't remember when the last one fair play to him he took it in his stride!!