Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

The showers seem to be breaking up over the Pennines, so probably remaining dry for a while I would think.

Edited by alza

Posted

BBC forecast out to Friday now, dry, sunny and cold all the way so hopefully snow on the ground for the big day. I don't hold much faith in BBC forecasts though until the MetOffice broadcasts it too.

My thermometer reading -0.1°C now, I may not get an ice day after all today :(

Edited by alza

Posted

BBC forecast out to Friday now, dry, sunny and cold all the way so hopefully snow on the ground for the big day. I don't hold much faith in BBC forecasts though until the MetOffice broadcasts it too.

My thermometer reading -0.1°C now, I may not get an ice day after all today :(

heaton isnt far from south gosforth, are you sure you thermometer is correct?

Posted

heaton isnt far from south gosforth, are you sure you thermometer is correct?

No, I think it is taking a while to respond to the temperature changing, maybe its been too cold for it :( . In an hour or so it will probably read what yours is reading now, I've never noticed this problem before now though. Ice has formed on the car since it was clear at 4pm so it must've been cold enough for that at some stage this evening.

EDIT: 0.1°C now, going up slowly. No ice day :(

Edited by alza

Posted

Light snow here now.:o

Didn't think it would make it across the penines.

edit. stopped within 3 minutes.:crazy:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Beautiful day today, very cold with very little snow melt and Newcastle beat Middlesboro 2-0 - Brilliant day !!!

Was at my aunties this evening who lives in Great Lumley above Chester Le Street, there was around an inch more snow there.

Noticed the temp was hovering around freezing on the way back in the car.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Light snow here now.:lol:

Didn't think it would make it across the penines.

edit. stopped within 3 minutes.:lol:

I was surprised when I looked out and saw that, I hadn't checked the radar since about lunchtime and I wasn't expecting anything tonight.

Looks like there is a bigger shower heading this way.

Posted

I was surprised when I looked out and saw that, I hadn't checked the radar since about lunchtime and I wasn't expecting anything tonight.

Looks like there is a bigger shower heading this way.

Just spied that one, it might just slip a touch south, hopefully not.....guess we'll find out in about 30 mins

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Any of those showers going to hit me?

Posted

Any of those showers going to hit me?

I think at the very least you'll see a few flakes tonight.

Looks like Consett, Stanley and Durham are in for a decent shower very soon, it's hardly weakening at all in the last few updates on the Netweather radar.

Posted

Looks like Consett, Stanley and Durham are in for a decent shower very soon, it's hardly weakening at all in the last few updates on the Netweather radar.

How about at the most and what is the average? :)

Posted

How about at the most and what is the average? :)

I've just put a Stockton postcode into the Netweather radar and you are between the two main areas of showers. Most are moving towards Yorkshire with a few up here to your north.

Still think you'll see a few flakes at some point but nothing to get excited about.

Posted

I've just put a Stockton postcode into the Netweather radar and you are between the two main areas of showers. Most are moving towards Yorkshire with a few up here to your north.

Still think you'll see a few flakes at some point but nothing to get excited about.

Damn any more snow this week?

Posted

Damn any more snow this week?

Each GFS run seems to put any snow in different places each time. I wouldn't like to say, I would just go off what the Met Office are saying.

Basically mostly dry tomorrow with the odd shower around. Showers more likely on Tuesday and Thursday and mostly dry Wednesday.

Posted

We had a very light rain shower about an hour or so ago but it froze on impact due to the very cold surfavces-current temperature is 0.1c.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Seems to be losing quite a bit of intensity

Just started coming down

Orographic lift can cause the radar to give a higher rainfall/snowfall reading so suspect this was happening here. I often notice this when we have a northerly and when the clouds reach the Cheviots a distinct bright echo will appear and when they come down the other side the density decreases.

I hope no clouds reach me on the coast as temps are marginal for snow and GFS 850hpa temps look to be around -5°C until Tuesday so snow inland but sleety mix on the coast. Tuesday looks alright for the NE including down to sea-level as upper temps are forecast to be around -7 to -8, but as always this is subject to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think it would be cold enough for snow on the coast (I'm getting a temperature approaching 1C underneath clouds and falling below freezing in clear intervals) but probably not cold enough for it to settle to any meaningful depth if we do get any.

Tuesday night does look more favourable as we get that modified/warm pool (it technically isn't a warm sector, more a case of a warm depression core) out of the way.

Although it's a long way out I'm getting slightly concerned about the model developments for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. They have precipitation progged to move up from the SW but crucially as it does so the winds may turn easterly, raising temperatures near the coast a few degrees above freezing and causing snow to thaw just in time for Christmas Day. Still conjecture at the moment given the uncertainty however.

Posted

A little more snow overnight. But Teesdale has escaped the blizzards and whiteouts reported around the country.

Carn't help feeling a little disappionted this event so far has little notable elements here apart from some drifting and blowing snow.

4 ice days in a row, currently -0.3C

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham